Old 02-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #1  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

Default Feeling Frumpy

I have lost about 50 pounds since November 1, 2011. My work uniforms are falling off of me, my hair texture has changed to limp and unmanagable, and my fingernails are not growing like they use too.

Somedays I feel more FAT than I did before I lost the weight. I really can't afford to go out and buy a bunch of new work clothes when I still have so much weight to lose and the baggy uniforms make me look like I am wearing a sack.

What do you ladies do to make yourselves feel pretty and energetic while you are fighting this battle?

(sigh I guess I am having a depressing day)
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 154/148/135

Height: 5' 4"

Look at your macronutrients for your nails and hair. Also, how much sun time are you getting? I had a vitamin D deficiency that pretty much ruined my hair. Winter months can wreck havoc.

As for the other stuff, buy 1-2 new clothing so you can at least SEE the beautiful new you and wear those on days you most need the lift. Consider changing your hair style a bit for a change. Shop clearance. Take pictures and compare them to your before body.
kcoftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/211/130

Height: 5'6"

I complete understand. I cannot afford to buy new clothes with each size I go down so my clothes often make me look like I'm wearing clown pants. Not a good look, especially in a professional office. I just keep reminding myself that it's only temporary. I do look for clearance stuff and some thrift store finds just so I have a few pieces I feel better in.

As for your hair and nails, definitely make sure you are getting enough healthy fats in your diet. I also added a good multi-vitamin (actually stronger than many generic store pre-natal vitamins) that have helped my hair tremendously.
WildThings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #4  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I have those days, definitely! I second checking your nutrients and make sure you're getting enough dietary fat and food-supplemented magnesium, potassium, and b vitamins. That makes all the difference with hair, skin, and nails.

You know what I did today? I pulled out my wedding dress and wedding photos and went through them. I was probably 50-60 pounds heavier when I got married than I am today, three kids and six years later. I look younger, too, due to the weight loss. So even when I feel fat and frumpy I know the truth - I haven't looked this good since high school!

It's just a matter of keeping it in perspective. Look at before and after pictures, get your hair done, get ONE outfit from a place like the Salvation army that is new-to-you and the correct size, so you can see the difference and treat yourself without breaking the bank. All these things are so helpful in making a long journey a little easier
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 286/153/155

Height: 5'9

I have been shopping at thrift stores until I reach my goal weight. I have been really excited to find that I am able to find clothes that fit at thrift stores. There was a time where I couldn't shop at them because I couldn't find clothes in my size.
I went through a phase where my fingernails were splitting off in layers. Ewww. It was gross and it passes. Congrats on the 50 lb loss. No matter what you are feeling right now, you are 50 lbs less and healthier.
Madame Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #6  
Paso a paso

S/C/G: 264/Ticker/160

Height: 1.65

You're maybe having a micronutrient defficiency. At the beggining i was losing hair like no joke, i was so scared to even touch it cause one part will remain in my fingers. My - in that time trainer - recomend me to get vitamins, felt better with more energy when started to take them.
Lyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #7  
Undead Diva

S/C/G: 185/ticker/135

Height: 5'4.5"

It sounds like you are lacking in good fats and protein in your diet. Your hair and nails are made of keratin, a fibrous protein and they don't grow properly without a good diet. A good multivitamin might also help with that. Outside of diet, Costco sells a great condition for CHEAP. It makes my hair shiny and a giant tub of it is 8 bucks. As for nails, there is something called Nailtique that has really helped along with using glass filers with fine grits.

As far as the uniforms... I'm in the same boat. I don't really have funds to keep updating my wardrobe, I only have a good 2 pairs of pants I can cycle through right now and all my shirts make me look frumpy. You could try tailoring you things but that only does so much. Old Navy has some good cheap pants, especially when they go on sale. I like to browse through stores like Ross, TJ Maxx, and Mashalls. Occasionally I find a nice item for cheap.

I just want to add too that I have the only thing I have been repurchasing is the wardrobe basics: jeans, white and black camies, white dress shirt... things like that.

Last edited by MadameZombie; 02-29-2012 at 10:44 AM.
MadameZombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:04 PM   #8  
Tired Of Just Surviving

bad Bad BAd BAD week!!

I am feeling no better regarding my current situation and I somehow managed to gain 1.8 pounds overnight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoftx View Post
Look at your macronutrients for your nails and hair. Also, how much sun time are you getting? I had a vitamin D deficiency that pretty much ruined my hair. Winter months can wreck havoc.
When I first lost about 30 pounds my hair started falling out and it scared the crap out of me. I normally have very full, thick beautiful hair. These days it is flat, frail and very fine. I did start taking a multi vitamin daily so I am hoping that helps soon. At least it isn't falling out anymore.

I don't get much sun may 1 1/2-2 hours during the week, more on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildThings View Post
I complete understand. I cannot afford to buy new clothes with each size I go down so my clothes often make me look like I'm wearing clown pants.
I can relate I wear CLOWN PANTS everyday!

Thank you for your concern and support Artic Mama, Madame Souza, and Lyla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameZombie View Post
I just want to add too that I have the only thing I have been repurchasing is the wardrobe basics: jeans, white and black camies, white dress shirt... things like that.
I think I need to go shopping and buy some new jeans and a few new shirts to wear when I go out I think that may improve my mood majorly.

Last edited by SmallSteps; 02-29-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #9  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I agree with checking the vitamin/mineral thing. You could be deficient.

Scrubs? That's not so hard a shape. Is that the type uniform you are talking about? If so, can you sew? Or know anyone who does? Just bring in the seams and you will feel better.

If it is some more complex uniform shape that is more tailored... well, that's a bit harder. What kinda uniform is it? Are there tailors nearby? Maybe fix a few or get a few new? Is it so bad a fit that you are starting to look unprofessional?

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #10  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

re: the clothing

i can't afford new clothes even when i'm not losing weight. we are the epitome of "flat broke".... i haven't got a single *new* item of clothing in over a year. that being said... i spent $35 at a salvation army store on one of their half price days and got myself several pairs of jeans (i think i got 6) in my current size, and a couple in descending sizes as goal clothes. i also got myself 3 shirts, a dress, and a pair of jeans for my husband. a few things even had the tags still on them. thrift stores/second hand stores are GREAT places to look while you're losing weight. i had a joke with the manager of the salvation army store. i'd drop off old stuff, and pick up new stuff... and at check out i'd tell him "i'll be bringing these back soon"... good times
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:06 PM   #11  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrophe View Post
Scrubs? That's not so hard a shape. Is that the type uniform you are talking about? If so, can you sew? Or know anyone who does? Just bring in the seams and you will feel better.

Is it so bad a fit that you are starting to look unprofessional?
Yes scrubs how did you guess? And yes I am starting to look pretty unprofessional have to keep pulling my pants up lol and my shirts could almost be dresses.

I am going to break down this weekend and go buy 3 sets that I can mix and match for now so I at least don't walk down the hall and have my pants fall around my ankles

I am having a terrible week, today is no different.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #12  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by konfyoozed View Post
thrift stores/second hand stores are GREAT places to look while you're losing weight. i had a joke with the manager of the salvation army store. i'd drop off old stuff, and pick up new stuff... and at check out i'd tell him "i'll be bringing these back soon"... good times
Thrift stores in Las Vegas, Nevada do not have a large selection of plus size clothing at any time and they sure don't carry nursing scrubs.

I order my scrubs online from a site that is fairly reasonably. The thought of going out clothes shopping itself is a nightmare. I HATE walmart plus size clothing and I can't really afford Fashion Bug, Lane Bryant or Catherines.

sighhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #13  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I HATE spending money on 'fat' clothes, and of course I got rid of all my old clothes when I lost weight the first time. I refuse to pay full price for clothes just to get me through until I get back down to wear I was, so I scour the thrift stores in my area for clothes to get me through. I bought a pair of jeans this weekend for seven dollars that are practically brand new. It's harder when you're in bigger sizes, but as you continue to lose you'll find more stuff you can wear at the thrift stores.

(I'm always poor, so I thrift even when I'm smaller. It's just that there's more selection when I'm smaller so it's more fun!)

Shame they don't carry scrubs in your thrift stores. They carry them here in TN.

As for your hair and nails, avocados, walnuts, olive oil. Healthy fats and omega 3s will help.

Last edited by thistoo; 02-29-2012 at 02:12 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #14  
Tired Of Just Surviving

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
As for your hair and nails, avocados, walnuts, olive oil. Healthy fats and omega 3s will help.
I eat a lot of avocados and I do use olive oil. I am sure there is a deficiency there somewhere though.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #15  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

My post isn't about shopping, it's about realizing how far you have come already!!!! Because I was feeling fat and frumpy the last coupld or weeks until my workout with my trainer today. She put a 50lbs sandbag on my shoulders and had me doing squats and running.....I realized OMG this is how much I weight I carried on me and it was HEAVY!!!!! It really made me realize how much weight I have lost....

So go out and pick up 50lbs and try to run, or squat. Or even just try and compare that weight....like 5 10lbs bags of potatos....a medium sized dog...etc...it's amazing when you put it in that context!!!

Last edited by InsideMe; 02-29-2012 at 03:15 PM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote