Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/191/170

Height: 5'7"

Unhappy Cancer/Mental Illness and Weight Loss

Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker of this site for a while but now I'm stuck, this was the first place I could think of for advice. My apologies if this is posted in the wrong area (I'm sure the mods will move as appropriate).

Back story:
When I was 14 turning 15 I had ovarian cancer stage III-c. They took out the right ovary, half a fallopian tube and a suspicious lymph node. Two months of chemo I was fine, but ended up having a bowel obstruction from scar tissue from the first operation. Operated on again, healed fully but was left with possible IBS and other bowel problems (example and probably TMI: I can go two weeks without going pooping if I don't take something; Bristol Chart 7 is normal for me, just happy enough to go!!).

Cut to now, I'm 25 (turning 26 this year) in remission. However, due to other factors in life I was diagnosed with schizotypal disorder, anxiety with PTSD (because this trauma was never dealt with 10 years ago). No meds other than generic Klonipin (sp?) when needed and I was just taken off of the birth control pill three months ago after being on it for 10 years. I also have been diagnosed with TMJD from a car accident.

My problem:
The year after I had the run in with cancer, my weight ballooned to 229 pounds. My doctor pointed it out and I decided to do something about it. I was able to get down to 170 within two years, exercise and small diet changes.

I have been able to keep the weight between 175-180 pounds, and I was comfortable with this weight (clothes fit me fine, wasn't winded, low resting heart rate etc.). However, in the past year it's crept up to 190, and now after coming off the birth control, it's creeping close to 200. The bigger b***h is my inches are now starting to pump up as well, making my clothes tight. I'm hourglass shape; so the problem areas are my thighs, a bit of the tummy (first for me) and arms.

To curb this, I have been doing the following exercise routine (now for two months):
- Exercise 6 days a week: cardio 30min - 1hr [stationary bike, swimming, spot jogging, walking] and 30 minutes of calisthenics that include weights and tai chi. I can't do "intense" like P-90X as it affects my TMJD. BUT it doesn't mean I'm slacking: I keep my heart rate 126-140 bpm
- Watching sodium levels
- Watching carbohydrate levels
- Using FitDay to document everything that goes in my mouth, calorie intake is 1500-2000 depending on exercise.
- Drinking more water/decaf tea with nothing mix in (herbal teas)
- Taking a multivitamin and omega-3 supplement.
- Diet has to be low-fibre as of the bowel obstruction history, if the bowels move too much the floating scar tissue could flare up again causing another bowel obstruction.

I'm baffled and frustrated beyond belief. I actually feel worse since starting this regime, the only good thing is my resting heart rate has lowered from 70 to 66BMP. The scale doesn't budge other than up, fluctuating 3 - 9 pounds (so I go from 191 to 200 back down to 191/193) up then down the following week the same amount (I'm assuming water weight?) and the inches go up, down, up, down never really varying either.

Is there anyone out there that this sounds familiar? Can you suggest anything? Thyroid is normal and no my one ovary doesn't have POCS.

Thank you so much!

Last edited by swiggy; 02-18-2012 at 02:16 PM.
swiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #2  

Hang in there!
donna1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #3  
Started IP 01/06/2014

Height: 5'7''

Hi there!

I first lost weight in 2008 with Ideal Protein (I went from 205 to 150 lbs). I did a pretty good job maintaining it until I was diagnosed with PTSD. I was off work for several months and was forced to seek weekly therapy for my disorder. I reached a weight of 235 lbs and I finally was able to attempt taking control of my life January 3rd by joining Weight Watchers. I have a few recommendations for you.
-You should seek psychological help if you haven't already. You won't only deal with your hardships in therapy sessions, you'll be able to change your way of thinking about perceiving cues from others or from your environment. You'll also be able to get a better grasp of who you are and why you deserve to love yourself, to be loved, and to be the best that you can be.
-PTSD is extremely exhausting, and you are dealing with more than that. Your plan seems very demanding. I would keep only what is necessary for health reasons for now, because you might not actually be mentally ready to take on all of that at this moment.
-I also took clonazepam (klonopin) and I absolutely feel that it contributed to my weight gain, contrary to my doctor's opinion and to studies on the drug. I stopped the drug after two months even if I was told not to, and feel that I have recovered just as well (if not better) than had I continued taking it. Perhaps you can ask for a different drug or look at other options with your physician.

I wish you the best!
Emmcakes is offline   Reply With Quote