Old 02-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 154.8/126/128

Height: 5'4

Default Is it good to stay in Induction until you've reached your goal weight?

Hello to everyone out there.. I was wondering if anyone plans on staying in induction until you have reached your goal weight?
globetrotter74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #2  
Getting There..

S/C/G: 200/177/140

Height: 5'3"

I stay pretty close to induction until I'm within 10 pounds. Sometimes, for variety I may eat some nuts or low carb treats... but for the most part, induction long-term is healthy.
reachingthatgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:24 PM   #3  

Ok as I was thinking to stay to induction until I'm at goal and them move into maintenance
Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

according to the website you should move on when your with in ten lbs of your goal. Have you read the book or looked at the info on the site? good ideas if your going to do atkins not that induction is unhealthy but if you dont want to eat that way for ever best to get your body used to more carbs and see what your limit is.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 AM   #5  

I've read the book when I did Atkins a few years back and now I've just returned back to the Atkins..some says it's ok to stay with induction until you have reached your goals others say they wouldn't. I guess it all depends on you and your body. The last time I did atkins I stayed in induction until I reached goal and did have any problems after as I gradually added carbs per week, so I may go that same route and evetually move on to the GI Diet for maintenance after I see what my carb level is to maintain the weight loss.

I came back after a few years as I got lazy and put back on weight just from sitting around and eating all the wrong foods. I tried other diets but this is the one that works the best for me
Old 02-27-2012, 11:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 206/195/121

Height: 5'4"

I plan on staying on induction until I reach goal weight or close to it. I have tried increasing my carbs before on atkins and my body just doesn't do well with too many carbs. I guess everyone is different. If it isn't broke don't fix it my grandma used to say.
Buckaustink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

Once I'm within 30 lbs of goal I'm going to re asses and decide whether to do induction for a bit longer or if I should move onto OWL if I'm bored with the food. I believe with OWL you slowly add certain foods back in until your losing about 2 lbs a week, then there is premaintenance and then maintenance.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaustink View Post
I plan on staying on induction until I reach goal weight or close to it. I have tried increasing my carbs before on atkins and my body just doesn't do well with too many carbs. I guess everyone is different. If it isn't broke don't fix it my grandma used to say.
Hey Buckaustink I'm very familiar with that statement LOL..
Old 02-27-2012, 02:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm no longer on Atkins (I use a low-carb exchange plan), but I wanted to mention that not everyone (even if they have a lot to lose) should stay on induction.

For many years, I wrongly thought that Atkins was incredibly unhealthy and even dangerous, because I was so sick on induction. And it wasn't simply carb withdrawal or induction flu as the illness didn't go away after two weeks or even six, in fact it only got worse (to the point that I passed out several times).

I now recognize the symptoms as low blood sugar, but at the time I thought Atkins was dangerous (at least for me). What I didn't try back then (and I wish I would have) was moving on to OWL.

I'm not saying that everyone should avoid prolonged induction, I'm just saying if you get very sick and stay very sick on induction, first try eating more often or adding calories (from protein and fat) and if that doesn't help, consider moving on to OWL before deciding that Atkins isn't for you.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #10  

Good advice kaplods, I actually haven't felt sick or anything even in the past when I first went on atkins years ago. Like you mentioned everyone's body is different and you have to do what is better for you..

I never tell people I'm on atkins as I know all I will hear is negativity etc..
Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206/195/121

Height: 5'4"

Good point. I never felt sick on inducation either but will keep that in mind..and I agree on neg this is the only Aktins really friendly board I found that lets you do what works for you. I work better with less than 10 carbs but metnion that on another site and man you should here them.
Buckaustink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckaustink View Post
Good point. I never felt sick on inducation either but will keep that in mind..and I agree on neg this is the only Aktins really friendly board I found that lets you do what works for you. I work better with less than 10 carbs but metnion that on another site and man you should here them.
You are right about that Buckaustink. I've been on another site and I'm not going to call names, and I was like is this a support site or a site to make you feel bad that you aren't doing it the way they want you to. Nothing but nice people here..
Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #13  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

I just retead DANDR and basically you can stay on induction until you are almost there, but premaintenance is an important step. So maybe, go to premaintenance at 5-10lbs before goal.

Pre-maintenance helps you practice maintenance, and also helps you find your CRitical Carb Level for Losing....ie without this step you'll have no clue what level of carbs is "just right" to neither gain, nor lose.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:15 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 265/264/165

Height: 5'8

I figured I would stay in induction until I get close to my goal unless I start feeling deprived or get tired of the restriction then work my way up.
airomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 217/seeticker/130

Height: 5'5"

For me if I dont eat close to the 20 carbs a day I start feeling really weak and tired, I do go to the gym 5 days a week though so that plays a role to. I eat lots of veggies and protein but I have noticed that now I cant eat eggs I have a hard time getting my cals and fat up which also plays a big role in how I feel. I added almonds on the days in the week when Im really low in induction which I will continue to have they help give me a little boost of energy. You just have to find what works for you if you feel sick, weak or what have you and stay that way time to reassess the situation. not that its bad for you or that you cant stay at 20 just may need different foods. Oh avocado works well for me too.
Brooklynn is offline   Reply With Quote