Old 02-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

Default Partially planned buffet binge

[also posted in "Chicks in Control" subforum]

Just got back from a family dinner at a well-known Chinese buffet place in our area. They have a larger selection than any buffet I've ever seen and the quality is fairly high for buffet fare.

I intended to eat substantially more than I usually do at dinner, but not as much as I actually ate: about 4,000 calories, by my best estimate. I've been maintaining for 4 months now, so this represents about 6 times more than I normally have for supper.

What surprised me is that I felt very little discomfort at all, beyond a little distension in my stomach. It was so EASY to eat that much, even after 10 months of weight loss and 4 months of maintenance. (I've always had an iron stomach and have no food sensitivities.)

So right now I have mixed feelings: on the one hand I don't regret overeating as I fully intended to do it. On the other hand I think I would have felt better about myself if I had found a happy medium between fully controlled and out-of-control eating.

I know the key is to get right back in the saddle tomorrow morning, which I intend to do. I guess I'm still trying to figure out the best approach (for ME) to dinners out and especially buffets. Just wondering aloud here...

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:47 PM   #2  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Maybe if you decide before hand what foods you really want to eat and which ones you eat just because they are there. I would also decide to stop when you are full and not overfull because I am sure you'd have less guilt if you didn't leave with a distended belly. I. The Chinese buffet is one if my weaknesses, I have decided I am allowed to go no more than once per month and I limit the amount of fried foods when I do go. Now I am craving Chinese lol
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:14 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 69kg/65/60

Height: 5ft

It's hard not to over eat at buffets. I think the main thing is it's not a usual thing for you, and you intend to get back on track tomorrow. I think it's ok to splurge sometimes.
happybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #4  
~Krystal~

S/C/G: ~175/Too Much/~~ABS

Height: 5'3.5"

I just ate 1800 cals in Chinese food for Spike Day! No guilt here & will eat more food later this afternoon! I defo couldn't eat it every day or even once a week, but I haven't eaten Chinese food since my bday (Dec 30). I don't think I've compromised too much with eating it tonite
K9Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:41 AM   #5  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Sounds like you got your moneys worth!
Eat, digest, move on....
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

<<Eat, digest, move on....>>

Yeah, I guess that's it. This morning I feel a little sluggish and the scale was predictably up by 3 pounds. I figure 2 of those pounds are water weight. I do intend to eat a little more mindfully the next time I'm at a buffet.

Freelance
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:38 PM   #7  
Dedicated Yogi

S/C/G: 269/188/160

Height: 5'8 1/2 :)

freelance, DID YOU GO TO MANDARIN????? If so, I am wholeheartedly jelous, and it was well worth it.

the feelings you have now, the food was great (esp if mandarin) but you probably feel too full and lethargic, you learn- maybe next time you go you will remember and you will eat less! it is okay to eat a little more on some days as im sure you know, just get back on that pony right after! it's not an excuse to throw it all out the window and continue stuffing yourself day in day out, but every once in a while it's okay!
stimkovs is offline   Reply With Quote