Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Default Am I the only one who doesn't like whole wheat?

I posted a shorter version of this on another thread but wanted a broader audience.

I know that whole wheat is supposed to be better for you. I know that it is supposed to be more filling but try as I might I can't stand it.

I would honestly rather not have it than eat whole wheat.

Now of course I like Publix whole wheat sub rolls, subways wheat bread, some fancy wheat bread panera bread has (none of these are actually whole wheat they just contain some wheat product)

So I decided this last restart that I simply was not going to eat things I don't like. So I went out and found a couple healthy options of none whole wheat.
Vegetable enriched pasta
Flatout flatbread wraps with rosemary and olive oil (100 Calories and 1 Gram of fat 3 grams of fiber)
bagel thins (100 calories)

Any thoughts on this?

Just a side note I eat VERY little bread or pasta and mostly eat lean protein and veggies but if I am going to have bread or pasta I really don't want it to be whole wheat.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #2  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

I've gotten where I love whole wheat, but I've turned into a snob about it haha. For example, some breads that are whole wheat end up tasting like dry sawdust. Recently I've discovered "Dave's Killer Bread" (different varieties) and it is SO good.

The one that took me a while was pasta. At first, whole wheat pasta just didn't taste right at all. I didn't like it. I would go half/half whole wheat with regular pasta. I don't know if my tastes changed or the pasta formulations changed but now I like whole wheat/whole grain pasta.
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 AM   #3  
kon-fyoo-zed say it aloud

S/C/G: 300/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9"

i used to hate whole wheat bread, but because my husband has crohn's disease we stay on a high fiber diet and whole wheat bread seems to have the most fiber... we used to buy two different types of breads, but that just got silly so it's whole wheat in our house... and because i don't like it as much as white bread (italian bread in particular) i don't eat as much of it.
konfyoozed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:31 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

There are a lot of foods that I hated at first, but grew to love by keeping an open-mind and trying them again and again and again. In fact, I've found that I like most healthy foods after eating them several times. So I tend to give even foods that I think taste terrible quite a few attempts before deciding there's just no way I'm going to ever like them.

One non-negotiable though are certain textures, especially "mealy" fruit. I don't ever eat applesauce or soft, mealy apples or peaches. The texture makes me gag, even if the taste is wonderful.

The taste and texture of whole wheat breads and pastas did take a while to learn to like (and now I can't eat them, because of a wheat allergy).

I think some foods are acquired tastes (in that almost no one likes them the first time they try them) and some people are also more able to overcome taste and texture aversions than others. I like the fact that I've been able to learn to like some very (or at least moderately) healthy foods that I hated or disliked at first (like sweet potato, cooked carrots, cottage cheese, more types of fish, liver, hot peppers, tripe, sea weeds, spinach, eggplant, tomatoes, sauerkraut, kimchi, caviar...).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:48 AM   #5  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

I like the breads, its the pasta that throws me. I do like EagleRiverDee did, and make a 1/2 and 1/2. I find that if I use Barilla fine linguini, and cook that about 2 minutes, then toss in a wheat pasta thin spaghetti, it cooks up nicely together and it tastes fine. Pasta is my favorite food. That is a hard one for me to go full wheat on. Ronzoni Smart Pasta makes a good "egg" noodle tho.

Last edited by 124chicksinger; 02-24-2012 at 05:48 AM.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 AM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

No reason to eat things you don't like. And really, for blood sugar purposes - whole wheat bread does the same thing to blood sugars as white bread. It's just that whole wheat has more nutrients and is more filling.

If you don't like whole wheat pasta (and we don't either and we eat a lot of whole grain everything else). Try the Barilla Plus pasta. It is very high in fiber and in protein and tastes (to our taste buds at least) like regular pasta - looks like regular pasta too.

And, if you aren't nutso about whole wheat breads, try making a loaf of white whole wheat bread. Or making breads starting out at 1/2 1/2, then gradually up the amount of White Whole Wheat. It doesn't have to be 100% whole wheat to get the benefits.

Now, for me, I tend to stay away from grains altogether, but that is my personal choice.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:31 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

If you're eating a wide variety of foods, and overall a healthy, balanced diet, there may be no need to eat foods you don't like.

However, if you're not eating a healty, varied diet, then there are several reasons to eat foods you don't currently like. One is to get the healthy variety of a balanced diet and the other is that tastebuds can and do change, and you very well may be able to learn to like foods that you didn't like before.

There's no reason to eat only food you don't like, as in the old diet adage "if it tastes good, you can't have it," but if you never retry foods that you disliked in the past, you can be missing out not only on the opportunity to like or even love the food in the future. You can also be missing out on the nutrients the foods provide. If you're eating a balanced diet that may be no big loss, but if you aren't the benefit of trying to learn to like a new food can outweight the temporary unpleasantness.

I'm constantly amazed at the number of people I've met who eat only a few types of food and virtuallly (or actually) no fruits and vegetables.

There's no reason to eat a food you don't like every day or every week or even every month, but it can be important (especially if your current diet isn't as balanced or as healthy as you'd like it to be) to keep an open mind and willingness to try and retry healthy foods in a wide variety of ways. You may learn that your tastes change and you like something you didn't in the past, or you might find you like it prepared in some ways, but not others.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

Thanks for all the responses. Honestly I love all other foods especially vegetable and the greener the better just for some reason can't as many times as I try and still am trying wrap my brain around real whole wheat.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote