Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:25 AM   #1  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Talking Returning to 3FC, Starting PureFoods Gluten-Free

Hi everyone!

I'm returning to the scene of the crime.

I was a regular poster here back in 2008 while I was on BistroMD. I wrote about my journey in a post at my 3FC blog, a little while ago: http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs/fullofgrace

As before, I'm going to take photos of the food (PureFoods Gluten-Free plan, this time) and post reviews at my blog. I think it's important -- especially for those of us trying to lose weight on gluten-free plans -- to share good info about what's out there.

Let's see, I started out at 240 in December 2007. I lost 15 pounds by cutting out fast food and watching my portion sizes and eating more frequently in early 2008. I started BistroMD and got down another 20 pounds, added Wii Fit to the mix in the summer of 2008 and went down another 15. By January 2009, I was down 65 pounds and I maintained that loss all through 2009 and into 2010.

Mid-2010, my personal life took some hits and so did my waistline. As of today -- even though I've still maintained it -- I'm up from where I'd LIKE to be (165). I'm probably at 195 right now. I'll weigh myself before the PureFoods delivery shows up next week. But the point is, I did get down to 175... and being 20 pounds above that is not fun, especially since I would have preferred getting down 10 more pounds FROM that 175 that I hit.

So... I begin again and hope to lose 30 pounds over the next six months or so. I still have (and use) my Wii Fit, but not consistently. I'll be hopping back on it maybe even tomorrow, just to give myself the best "running start" possible for this new eating plan.

Wish me luck!

I look forward to reconnecting with those of you who were around back when I was here before, and to meeting those of you who've come around since I went away.

Oh, I'll be updating my tickers next week too. Should be fun! Hee!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 02:47 PM   #3  
blissfully gluten-free

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargoo View Post
Welcome and good luck !
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.
Old 12-25-2011, 04:24 AM   #4  
blissfully gluten-free

Pretty excited! My first order arrives in just a few days. I'm excited to start photographing (and eating) the food. Been trying to make good choices in the mean time, so I'm on the right path before we begin. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!
Old 12-25-2011, 03:21 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I too am planning on going gluten free, I'm not doing purefoods but I will be watching for your posts to see how you do and feel! I just finished the book Wheat Belly and it was a true eye opener! I think I have celiac disease and to save money I'm just gonna cut the gluten myself. I don't need a doctor to tell me one way or another, I know getting gluten out of my life is gonna benefit me one way or another
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:38 AM   #6  
blissfully gluten-free

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryng View Post
I too am planning on going gluten free, I'm not doing purefoods but I will be watching for your posts to see how you do and feel! I just finished the book Wheat Belly and it was a true eye opener! I think I have celiac disease and to save money I'm just gonna cut the gluten myself. I don't need a doctor to tell me one way or another, I know getting gluten out of my life is gonna benefit me one way or another
That's exactly how I felt about it, Spryng. I went gluten-free SEVEN years ago and I've had no regrets.

I didn't do any of the tests (and I don't believe I have Celiac, because my friends who do have it have FAR more serious reactions to wheat and flour-based products when they *do* eat them whether by mistake or intentionally, whereas I just have itching or mild headaches or small breakouts around my lips or, of course, the ever-popular "intestinal distress"), but I just cut out wheat for two weeks (entirely, which was really difficult, because I wasn't the label junkie I am now, so I didn't know which ingredients were CODE for wheat gluten, like I know now; also, the labeling laws were not as strict in 2004, so it's easier now) and then ate a sandwich.

I got violently ill.

That's "the poor man's test," and it was good enough for me!

Plus the fact that I've been without migraines (and they were frequent and debilitating, for YEARS) since going gluten-free, I just know I'm healthier without wheat in my life (and it's pretty easy to avoid, these days).

I'm really pleased that there are now delivery options that are certified gluten-free. There were NONE in 2008, when I started home delivery with BistroMD before, and went on the journey to losing 65 pounds. My PureFoods delivery should be here in just a few days now, and I'll be sure to keep my blog updated and share what's good and what's less good.

*fingers crossed* that this will be as fun and as easy as BistroMD was. NOTE: It's never EASY, EASY. But maybe it's simple enough to stick to, and that helps get going in the right direction for a while.

Thanks for the welcome (back)! I look forward to getting to know you.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:50 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 296/289/180

Height: 5'9"

I will be following too. I just recently started to cut out wheat gluten, mainly due to an blood allergy test that showed I was sensitive to it. People thought it would be hard for me since I was such a bread junkie, but it really hasn't...well finding foods w/o it has, but choosing to go w/o it has been surprisingly easy. I haven't heard of Purefoods until your post, so I'll research it, since my mom just went on medifast. So i'll watch too.
cfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/153/??

Height: 5'9"

I'm not against BistroMD - but just wondering why that is what you have chosen. The meals on the website are super easy to cook. If you made it at home it would be even fresher, be fast, cheaper and save on ton of packaging materials.

I'm interested in your diet - and do sincerely want to hear more about potential problems that may arise if you are on this plan.... as well as the problems you avoid that helps you succeed by doing this plan. I don't think many people on this website follow this sort of diet (maybe because of the price?) - so it is quite interesting to think about.

Last edited by Unna; 12-27-2011 at 03:45 AM.
Unna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:41 AM   #9  
blissfully gluten-free

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfan View Post
I will be following too. I just recently started to cut out wheat gluten, mainly due to an blood allergy test that showed I was sensitive to it. People thought it would be hard for me since I was such a bread junkie, but it really hasn't...well finding foods w/o it has, but choosing to go w/o it has been surprisingly easy. I haven't heard of Purefoods until your post, so I'll research it, since my mom just went on medifast. So i'll watch too.
Isn't it interesting how simple it can be to do without? I too was a bread junkie, but I think it's just what my body was craving. Once I eliminated wheat gluten, I found I didn't miss bread or pasta nearly as much as I missed sauces that may have been thickened with flour.

I'll be interested to see what the PureFoods gluten-free breads are like. Some gluten-free breads out there are great, but most are just so-so, and I'd rather have something really fantastic for the same calories, usually.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #10  
blissfully gluten-free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unna View Post
I'm not against BistroMD - but just wondering why that is what you have chosen. The meals on the website are super easy to cook. If you made it at home it would be even fresher, be fast, cheaper and save on ton of packaging materials.
I chose BistroMD in 2008 for reasons I detailed extensively at that time in a post here.

I'm sure anything is "super easy to cook" if you cook.

I do not cook.

I chose PureFoods in 2011 (just now) because they now offer a gluten-free plan. They did not in 2008. In fact, none of the home delivery services did, in 2008.

Since I've done the BistroMD thing (quite successfully) and would still have to just modify their existing plan (and it's more expensive), I decided to give PureFoods a try, as their meals have been well-reviewed online and I can simply order the gluten-free menu, rather than having to adapt one, like I did back in my BistroMD days, nearly four years ago, and that adaptation is more work than I have time for, frankly.

Quote:
Is it because you are too tempted to buy other things at the grocery store if you were to do your own shopping, like chips and chocolate? I mean, this method seems to limit any choices you have to make as much as humanly possible - an approach similar to the biggest loser - the contestants can't exactly say "no, I don't want to exercise today" or turn down the healthy entrees.
No, it's not due to temptation at the grocery store. I don't shop, either. So, temptation in the aisles is a non-issue. (Oh, and BistroMD and The Biggest Loser merged after my BistroMD days in 2008; in fact, right around the time I was coming off BistroMD and going "on my own" for the rest of my journey, back then.)

Quote:
I personally think we need to form closer relationships with healthy food itself - touching it, cutting it, preparing it..... I mean, in our industrialized world, we are already SO removed from our food - it comes in clean little white packages, quite different from its natural state. We aren't planting, we aren't cultivating, and now we aren't even choosing our food and cooking it? On the bright side, you'll have no dishes to wash!
Well, I think that's a lovely concept for anyone who wants to touch, cut, or prepare their own food. That ain't me, though. I pretty much avoid the kitchen altogether.

Quote:
I guess most people do actually live this way - but instead of choosing BistroMD, they are choosing McD's and other forms of carry-out and delivery!!
Not me. I cut out fast food in December of 2007 when I first started my weightloss journey, and was down 15 pounds in six weeks before starting BistroMD (again, this was years ago).

My problem is, I'll go hours and hours and HOURS without eating anything, unless I have something prepared and ready for me. So, since I don't have the luxury of my own private chef just yet, this is the next best thing. I've killed my metabolism by eating fewer than 800 calories throughout the day, and that's just not good for me.

So, having the prepared meals helps me just walk in, grab the right choice, and go! If I don't have that convenience, I won't make a "better choice" like an apple (or I will, but then that'll be all I eat for ten hours), I'll just not have anything, or I'll have cheese or something not so great for me.

Quote:
As you go along, are you going to try to make a plan for how to proceed whenever you need to cancel your subscription to BistroMD?
Again, I've been off BistroMD since summer 2008, but assuming you want to know what my post-PureFoods plans are, I'll answer anyway, and I'll use my success post-BistroMD as a model, most likely.

As I came off BistroMD in the middle of 2008, I had already been doing two days per week "on my own" and actually a meal every two or three days on my own as well, and that meant I had a stockpile of BistroMD meals I could use to supplement my own choices, as I transitioned from BistroMD to my own "system," which was basically some calorie counting, lots of portion control, and making more good choices than poor choices (and making those good choices BETTER than the poor choices were BAD).

I had learned through BistroMD what the right amount of protein to carbohydrates should look like, and how to choose foods low on the glycemic index while still eating foods I enjoy.

I continued to lose weight this way for two solid years. It wasn't until summer of 2010 and a series of situations derailed all of my best efforts to eat well and I put 15 pounds back on.

Since then, it's just been a "creep back" of a few more pounds mainly due to the aforementioned lack of eating for hours and hours at a time, and then choosing tiny little things, rather than good, healthy, well-balanced meals with the right amounts of the right types of foods for healthy living.

As for my post-PureFoods plans, I don't tend to make plans for how something will end before it's even begun, so I suppose if I have to start thinking about something that'll take place months from now, I suppose I'd say the same strategy as the one I used post-BistroMD in 2008 worked pretty well and will continue to, as long as I stay strong when diet-derailing life situations present themselves, as they certainly tend to do, in life, sometimes.

I'm pretty excited to think that -- just by reminding myself that I *do* know how to do better for myself -- I'll enjoy the momentum and get going in that better direction, then continue to make good choices when I'm on my "on my own" days or dining out or enjoying something my wonderful partner has prepared for me.

Quote:
I'm sorry if I'm being a debbie downer. I want you to reach your goals. I just have to ask these realistic questions, I'm wondering how you see your future and why you feel buying your own food and cooking it will not help you reach your goals.
I know for a fact that "buying my own food and cooking it" will NEVER work for me because I don't "do" the kitchen. It's not for lack of trying. Just like some people don't have the ability to play a musical instrument or carry a tune, no matter how much they enjoy music, I cannot cook, nor mix ingredients, nor prepare anything more complex than soup from a can (and even then, I'm bored endlessly while standing at the stove, stirring).

So, just like those who are tone deaf eventually stop frustrating themselves with attempts to sing in public, I learned (decades ago) that cooking is just one of the very few things in life at which I do NOT excel. Doesn't mean I don't appreciate the art, nor enjoy meals lovingly prepared by those who DO enjoy the art of cooking. It's just not ever gonna be my thing.

And that's why I will always be choosing meals prepared by others (whether in restaurants or at home or via meal delivery service), because otherwise, I simply don't eat enough, and when I *do* eat, I don't eat the best things I could.

Quote:
I'm interested in your diet - and do sincerely want to hear more about potential problems that may arise if you are on this plan.... as well as the problems you avoid that helps you succeed by doing this plan.
Hope this overview has helped with your understanding of my process!

I really did enjoy BistroMD when I was on it in 2008. I reviewed every meal I ate (with photos, too) at my 3FC blog, if you want to see any of the food (and not on their website, which makes it all look its very best, of course) or read my reviews on what I enjoyed and what wasn't as great.

I look forward to PureFoods and hope I'll have as much success with it (enjoying the meals, finding them fresh and easy to prepare, losing weight while on the program, re-learning the habits that keep me healthier all the time) as I did with BistroMD.

As for the "what if" that I get back down to the 170s (yay!) but then, two years later, after having maintained well, I start creeping back up again?

Well, that's what's so wonderful about this life of ours! We can't know now what's going to happen then, and all we can do is prepare ourselves as best we can to weather hard times by making choices that don't derail our goals, no matter how hard it gets (and, like now, for me, if it did get hard enough that our goals did get derailed for a bit, we're able to find our way "home" to better choices and habits that DO work for us, so we can get back on track and be healthier every day).

We shall see!
Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM   #11  
blissfully gluten-free

Just a quick update: I did my pre-diet weigh-in and measurements (I'll post them ALL at my blog), and I've updated my tickers and profile info to reflect the new starting point.

WAS 240 start, got down to 179.8 with waist starting point at 40", got down to 32".

Gonna keep the same goal points (170 for weight and 28" for waist), but it's wonderful to know I didn't undo ALLLLLLLL the good work I did in 2008, or any of the maintaining that happened in 2009, and the first half of 2010. Yay!

PureFoods tracker shows my food is on its way. I can't wait to begin! Making better choices already, just to get on the right track. Wii Fit this morning felt GREAT!
Old 12-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #12  
blissfully gluten-free

Hope everyone is having a great end of 2011 and start to 2012.

I have had my first three meals on PureFoods Fresh Start gluten-free and I'm very pleased. I've been taking photos and writing up reviews on my 3FC blog, and will get the photos uploaded soon, then make those review posts public (I am writing about each meal as I have it, though, to be sure I don't leave anything out. Just need to hook up the camera and get the images into the computer and then on the site).

Feeling really good and satisfied so far. The packaging was great, the food was delivered as scheduled and COLD (even some frozen spots) in secure containers which all weathered the trip well. So far, I haven't eaten anything I disliked (although one dish was too onion-y for me).

Will update you as I go. Wednesday is my official weigh-in day! Woo hoo!

Hope everyone is rockin'!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #13  
blissfully gluten-free

Okay! For those who'd like to read my reviews on EIGHT gluten-free PureFoods Fresh Start meals thus far, please come visit: http://www.3fatchicks.com/diet-blogs...rt-gluten-free (with photos).

I've also linked to Noodlebean's old reviews, because more info is good info. Not everyone's tastebuds work the same way.

Tomorrow is my weigh-in for the week, so wish me luck! I'm feeling good and I have not been hungry at all. I feel like I got my metabolism turned back on, and really, that's the best thing going!

Woo!
Old 01-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #14  
blissfully gluten-free

Okay! Week one weigh-in is as follows:

195.4 (up .4 lb.)

That would normally bum me out, for a "week one" weigh-in, but my clothes are fitting so well, I decided to get out the ol' measuring tape for a "waist check," as that tends to cheer me up, whenever I weigh "up" but have been working out.

Drumroll...

35.5" (down 2.5")

Yeah! I'll take it! That's awesome for one week!! Yay!

Hope everyone is having a great week!
Old 01-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 215/215/152

Height: 5'6"

Hi -- I wanted to thank you because of your pictures and links (and noodlebeans) I'm confidently choosing Pure Foods over Bistro -- I'm not necessarily gluten free-- but more wheat free -- I thought I'd risk it over at Bistro and just say no pasta meals but. . . (chronic fatigue, swollen joints -- I just want to be well -- and less weight will help that more than anything!)

So, I'll be signing up when I'm back in town around the 19th. Look forward to it.
Healthhappy is offline   Reply With Quote