General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:26 PM   #1  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Default Now that I'm not so fat, discovered lump

I was sitting in bed one day, on my back and I was feeling my abdomen for some strange reason and I realized that I have a lump on the right side on the side/at/below my belly button. It's about the size of a golf ball and it's not the same on the other side of my abdomen. I checked it on my side or while standing and I can't feel it. A few days later I had my husband see if he could feel it and he can too.

Now the thing is, this could have been there forever and a day as I have been so fat that you wouldn't be able to feel a lump and that lump could (and probably is) a muscle, but now I'm freaking out about it a bit! Of course, it's been forever since I've had an exam, even with all the doctor visits over the past year, we've only dealt with blood pressure, blood sugar and thyroid.

But, like a good girl, I just set up an appt. for gyn care (first time in almost 7 years) and will do what I'm supposed to do. Man... I just totally ignored my health when I was ashamed of my body.

Time to start addressing things - like this lump in my abdomen AND my urinary incontinence problems (kegels are solving NOTHING).
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post

Time to start addressing things - like this lump in my abdomen AND my urinary incontinence problems (kegels are solving NOTHING).
Good move on making an appointment about the lump.
There is medication for urinary incontinence.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:49 PM   #3  
Melissa

I think the lump is muscle as I can't feel it while I'm on my side or standing AND it starts exactly where my abdominal wall muscles separate in the middle. But, better to have it checked out than to worry about it. Plus... it's been almost 7 years since I've had a gyn check - since the birth of my second son. And I've never had a mammogram and I'm now 42.

I just was 'hiding' because I didn't want to address my fat. I was sooooo stupid. And I'm too smart to be so stupid.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

I'm somewhat of a hypochondriac myself and you did the right thing by making an appointment to check it out.

I had to LOL at "I'm too smart to be stupid" but again, been there done that, and Im sure it will happen again.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 174/T/140

Height: 5'3"

Great for you in doing this for your health. BTW, your new pic looks great !
BuddysBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

You are doing the right thing, good for you! I am sure everything is fine but it can't hurt to have it checked out. Being proactive about your health is SO IMPORTANT.

I had a strange mole on the back of my shoulder- it was tiny, but didn't look like my others. I'm not a hypochondriac by any measure, but something just told me to get it checked out- and it turned out to be early stage melanoma. I have to have a larger margin excision, and I'm still in awe- I could have very easily ignored it, the thing seemed so insignificant, and I've never been to a tanning bed in my life and have been mostly very careful sun-wise. If I'd waited until the stupid thing started itching or changing, who knows what could have happened.

So all of that to say- always err on the side of caution!!! I'm so glad you noticed it and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Last edited by djs06; 02-21-2012 at 04:14 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #7  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

Quote:

I just was 'hiding' because I didn't want to address my fat. I was sooooo stupid. And I'm too smart to be so stupid.
This is like so many of us, but you are beautiful, and I am glad you are addressing this ¨lump¨. You will have to let us know what comes of it. Big hugs!
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 PM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I found lumps too. Luckily they were lypomas, harmless fatty tumors, but still freaked me out a bit. Glad you are taking steps to take care of yourself
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #9  

I did a similar thing, my lower back where the sciatic joints are, I was rubbing it one day after running and felt a moveable mass. I compared to the other side and although the other side was a little lumpy, it felt different. I had an appt coming up with my doc anyways so figured I'd get it checked out then. Turned out it is common to have cysts form over your sciatic joint and that was what it was, just a little bigger on that side. I think I just felt it now because I have lost weight, same as you.
And remember the other Diana from the accountability thread that found the lump on her rib cage and that turned out to be a lipoma also like the other poster mentioned.
Do you think you could possibly have a hernia?
You are wise to have it checked out and to follow through with the other appointments you were neglecting too. Good luck!
jomatho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 PM   #10  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm so glad you're getting it checked I was thinking maybe a hernia or possibly nothing serious but it is always better to be safe than sorry. As for the incontinence I feel your pain. Do you have a dropped bladder (cystocele)? I developed that after the birth of my son who was 9.5# at birth (vaginal) so I have some incontinence issues now (kegels don't help me either). If you're done having kids and it is a dropped bladder there is a "tacking up" or "sling" procedure that may help to bring your bladder to a normal position (though this can either make it worse or not help at all in some cases. I also have nerve damage to my bladder so that is a contributing factor-I saw you have multiple kids and that can cause these issues as well. My doctor prescribed Oxybutinin for "Overactive bladder syndrome" which did not help me at all. I wish you luck, being incontinent can be miserable!
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #11  
Melissa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffNeedsChange View Post
I'm so glad you're getting it checked I was thinking maybe a hernia or possibly nothing serious but it is always better to be safe than sorry. As for the incontinence I feel your pain. Do you have a dropped bladder (cystocele)? I developed that after the birth of my son who was 9.5# at birth (vaginal) so I have some incontinence issues now (kegels don't help me either). If you're done having kids and it is a dropped bladder there is a "tacking up" or "sling" procedure that may help to bring your bladder to a normal position (though this can either make it worse or not help at all in some cases. I also have nerve damage to my bladder so that is a contributing factor-I saw you have multiple kids and that can cause these issues as well. My doctor prescribed Oxybutinin for "Overactive bladder syndrome" which did not help me at all. I wish you luck, being incontinent can be miserable!
I had quite a bit of problem after my first son 10 lbs 9 ozs, vaginal, but it got MUCH worse with #2, also vaginal at 11 lbs 14 ozs. I think I have nerve damage as well. I can FEEL that I have lost contact from part of the muscle group - like a section of muscle I know I used to be able to contract is just 'dead' now. It's the only way I can describe it. Sneezing is an issue, but so is walking downhill fast, running, jumping up and down. I have to wear a pad/depends to Step class for the few higher impact things we do and I soak it. I simply have NO control with impact. Kegels do absolutely nothing.

As far as the lump. I don't think it's a hernia as it's hard. my younger son has a hernia and it's completely different - it's soft as it's intestine protruding between the muscle. This is hard - like muscle knot itself - or perhaps below the muscle.

We will see soon enough.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

I hope the appointment goes smoothly. I'm glad that you're taking care of yourself.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #13  
Melissa

Wouldn't you know it? The lump is gone. It was there for a couple weeks at least and now I can't feel it. Now I'm wondering if it w an ovarian cyst. They come and go and are quite common and usually not a big deal. It would be about where you would expect the ovary to be I guess.

But, keeping my appointment, of course and will keep an eye out for returning things... It's so weird to be able to feel stomach muscles. I've never been able to feel them in my life before! I'm getting strong!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM   #14  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

That's fantastic. I bet it's a weight lifted off your mind. Good you're still going. Mammograms are no big deal so don't be afraid of getting one.

Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #15  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Wouldn't you know it? The lump is gone. It was there for a couple weeks at least and now I can't feel it. Now I'm wondering if it w an ovarian cyst. They come and go and are quite common and usually not a big deal. It would be about where you would expect the ovary to be I guess.

But, keeping my appointment, of course and will keep an eye out for returning things... It's so weird to be able to feel stomach muscles. I've never been able to feel them in my life before! I'm getting strong!
I've had ovarian cysts (confirmed by ultrasound) come and go as well. Good for you for taking action regardless. Maintaining our health is important, not just for ourselves but for our family too. I would really address the incontinence issue. It's interfering with your daily life. BTW, love your latest pics! You're doing great!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote