Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #1  
Made of Starstuff

Arrow WW PointsPlus FAQ & WW Lifetime FAQ

Do you have questions about anything? Always feel free and comfortable asking questions on the boards.
3FC members love to help!

Basic: What's the WW plan? How do I join?

Why do I have more points on PointsPlus than I had on Momentum/TurnAround?

I'd like to follow Momentum or TurnAround. Is it possible to follow an older plan?

Zero Point fruits & vegetables? Are they free? What's the deal?

Dried fruit & fruit juices? Why do they have Points Values?

Fruit & Vegetable Smoothies? How should I calculate them?

WW Recipe Builder Online - Why do the Points seem off?

I'm consistently under my Daily Points - How can I eat more? / I'm worried about eating enough.

WW Lifetime Membership! Tell me about it.

The following FAQ has been written in my own words. Some links are provided for further information.

Last edited by Lovely; 02-20-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Default Basic: What's the WW plan? How do I join?

What's the WW plan?

WeightWatchers current plan is named PointsPlus. A member may choose to track their food with PointsPlus or follow the Simply Filling option. The following is a very abridged explanation of each plan.

PointsPlus is the Points Tracking plan, and possibly the more well-known plan. A member receives a number of Points each day that they can choose to use in whichever way they see fit. Every food receives a Points Value, and is tracked. If a member gets 40 Points a day, they may choose to eat a variety of different foods that add up to 40 Points. They also receive Weekly Points and Activity Points that can be spread out and also used in a way the individual member sees fit.

Simply Filling is different, but also useful to many members. If a member chooses to follow Simply Filling they no longer have a Daily number of Points to track, instead they only have Weekly Points. A Simply Filling member follows an official list of Power Foods that can be eaten without being tracked, but must at the same time strictly listen to their true hunger signals and stop eating before becoming overly full. A Simply Filling member’s Weekly Points are used when they want to eat something that is not on the list of Power Foods.

Here’s a link for more information about the plan.

Sounds good. How do I join?

You can become a WW member in a myriad of ways.

There are a ton of WeightWatchers centers around many countries. You can pop in for a visit to get a feel for a meeting and speak with a leader or an employee. If you join at a center you will receive the materials you need to follow the plan at your first meeting. You can find a list of nearby Centers or Meetings here.

If there’s not an official center near to you, WeightWatchers meetings are often held at different workplaces or community centers or churches. Some of these can be found through the meetings finder here.

With meetings there’s also the option to sign up for the Monthly Pass which includes both eTools and meetings. Many members find this useful to track online and go to their meetings weekly. Here’s the link for more information.

There’s the option to join online without the meetings. There are plenty of members who enjoy using the WW plan but don’t want the meetings. You can find more information about being an Online Member here.

There’s also an At Home Kit for those who want the materials, but also want to follow their plan on their own. Here’s some information on the At Home Kit.

Last edited by Lovely; 02-20-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Default Why do I have more points on PointsPlus than I had on Momentum/TurnAround?

Weight Watchers PointsPlus plan is reworked completely from the older Points plans. If you’ve ever done Momentum or TurnAround, you’ll notice that there are plenty of similarities as well as differences. Weight Watchers has taken the good from the older plans, and added in even more good things. So, while there will be many familiar mechanics (such as counting points), it’s a good thing to look at PointsPlus as something completely new in order to get used to its benefits.

PointsPlus is an entirely different mathematical formula than the older Points plans. The gist, however, is that PointsPlus takes into account fat, carbs, fiber and protein. Thus, the PointsPlus values are based off of the calories we eat, but focus on the macronutrients that make up those calories.

If you’re just joining, or changing over from an older Points plan you might notice that you get a lot more PointsPlus than points from older plans. This is normal. The Daily Points amounts have increased, but since the formula is different that means the PointsPlus values for many foods have also increased. You’ll still have plenty of PointsPlus to eat daily, but it’s not the overabundance that it appears to be when first seeing it.

Keep in mind that PointsPlus is not just about the points we get to eat, but also about the Good Health Guidelines and improving our healthy choices and activity levels in ways that fit the individual member’s lifestyle.

Still a little worried? This is an informative article about the approach behind PointsPlus and how it works.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #4  
Made of Starstuff

Default I'd like to follow Momentum or TurnAround. Is it possible to follow an older plan?

While at this time the WW company no longer officially supports their older Points plans, there is nothing keeping a member from choosing to follow a plan that fits their lifestyle. Something to keep in mind is that the eTools will only work for PointsPlus Tracking and Simply Filling techniques.

A number of members have kept their materials and are successfully losing and/or maintaining their weight loss with Momentum/TurnAround.

So, is it possible to follow an older plan? Absolutely!

3FC has a section to help those who want to connect with others using the Mometum/TurnAround Points Plans here, and the WW main area is open to all WW members regardless of which plans they choose to follow.

Pick the plan that fits you best and join in where you're comfortable.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:52 PM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

Default Zero Point fruits & vegetables? Are they free? What's the deal?

The short answer is, “Most fruits and vegetables are Zero Points.”

Here’s the more lengthy explanation:

Fruits & Vegetables are not "free". They are Zero Points.

It might seem like a small thing, but it's very important to the PointsPlus plan to note the difference, and in order to make sure (if you choose to use the PP plan) that you get the most out of it.

Here's how it works:

-Most fruits, and vegetables are Zero Points. When in doubt, check the database. Certain fruits like avocados, and certain vegetables like potatoes are not Zero Points.

-In conjunction with that, the Good Health Guidelines (GHG) of the program state that we should eat about 5-8 servings of fruits and vegetables each day. This will vary by member.

-A serving size for most fruits and vegetables is half a cup. Green leafy veggies like lettuce are 1 full cup. As an example, ONE banana is often TWO servings, because bananas are so large.

-The calories from those fruits and vegetables are already built into your daily allotment. The plan assumes you're eating between 5-8 servings.

- Most of those servings should be coming from vegetables.

- They are not free. They are merely already built into the system and are counted as Zero Points. Example: A person needing ~1,200 calories a day would get about 1,000 calories worth of Points, whereas the other 200-300 are specifically allocated to fruits & vegetables ahead of time. This is why it’s so important to get in your daily servings and to monitor the amount!

All that being said, there's a trial and error part of the plan when it comes to fruit (and truly there's trial and error with any way of eating). There are people who can eat plenty and it doesn't hinder them. Then there are others who've realized if they have more than two or three servings a day that they are consuming too much.

Your own individual mileage may vary, so be prepared to experiment if you need.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Default Dried fruit & fruit juices? Why do they have Points Values?

If fruits and vegetables are Zero Points, then why do dried fruits and fruit juices show up as having PointsPlus values in the system?

Dried fruits and fruit juices are NOT included as Zero Points. They have PointsPlus values, and must be counted.

The reason behind making fresh, whole fruits and vegetables Zero Points is in part due to the fact that they contain a lot of water and a lot of fiber. Water, and fiber can help fill us up, and can make it harder in most situations to overeat too many fruits or vegetables. Water and fiber are also good for us.

Since dried fruits have most of the moisture taken out of them, and often have added sugars they can no longer be counted as Zero Points. Take a moment and mentally compare the size of 10 raisins versus 10 grapes. The difference is pretty big. It would take many more raisins to fill us up than it would grapes.

Fruit juices, on the other hand, have the fiber removed. Juices, too, can often have sugars added. Since the juice is squeezed out of the fruit, and the fiber is left behind, juice is no longer considered the ‘whole fruit’ and is not counted as Zero Points.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Default Fruit & Vegetable Smoothies? How should I calculate them?

Fruits and vegetables in smoothies. You do not have to count the points if you put the fruits or vegetables in as you would eat them. Example: Putting some fresh apple slices would be Zero Points. Putting in some spinach leaves would be Zero Points. (You still have to keep track of the servings.) The fiber and water are still a part of the smoothie, they are just blended up.

Keep in mind, if you used dried fruit or fruit juice in a smoothie then those Points would have to be added up, as dried fruit and fruit juices are not zero points.

Last edited by Lovely; 02-20-2012 at 05:05 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM   #8  
Made of Starstuff

Default WW Recipe Builder Online - Why do the Points seem off?

The recipe builder is different from the regular database and tracker. The recipe builder counts the Points values for ALL foods. Including fruits and vegetables!

It’s very efficient for building a recipe for, as an example, a lasagna, but not always the right choice if you’re just aiming to make a fruit salad that includes nothing but different, fresh fruits cut up.

Tip: If you regularly like making smoothies or salads, but want to make sure that the whole fruits and vegetables you use don’t get added up into the total Points value as they would in the recipe builder, then save the Smoothie or Salad as a Meal on the Food Tracker. To do this, add in the ingredients as you normally would on the Food Tracker, then hit “Save as a meal”.

Last edited by Lovely; 02-20-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Default I'm consistently under my Daily Points - How can I eat more?

No need to fret if you’re only a couple Points under every once in a while. Do not force yourself to eat if you aren’t hungry. Just recently there’s even the option to adjust your Daily Points up a few or down a few in the Plan Manager to fit your needs as they change.

However! Deprivation doesn’t work. Forcing yourself to eat under your Daily Points could be harmful to your weight loss plans, and may even backfire.

Members should be aiming to get in the best nutrition they can, and to follow the GHG (Good Health Guidelines) as closely as they’re able. Sometimes that means boosting their daily food intake, or making wiser choices.

Here are some suggestions for ways to boost your PointsPlus in a healthy way without adding in extra bulk:

- A serving of nuts (usually an ounce)
- Peanut Butter / other nut butters
- Daily healthy oil servings
- Avocado
- A serving of dried fruit (usually an ounce or two)
- Using full fat dairy products instead of immediately jumping down to “fat free”
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #10  
Made of Starstuff

Arrow WW Lifetime FAQ

What is a Lifetime Member?

Lifetime is the word given to WW members who have gotten to their goal weight, and have been able to maintain their weight loss for a set period of weeks. They are then awarded with the achievement of Lifetime.

How does a WW Member become a Lifetime Member?

Lifetime Membership is only for Meetings Members. It is currently not available for Online-Only or At Home Kit-Only users.

In order to achieve Lifetime status, a member must reach their goal weight and maintain within 2 pounds (up or down) of that weight for six consecutive weeks. A member will continue to pay to attend meetings during the weeks that they are learning to maintain.

What is included with being a Lifetime Member?

Being a Lifetime Member means that you get to enjoy some nice perks! (And is one of many reasons being Lifetime is a highly desired achievement.)

Once you’ve achieved Lifetime, you are always considered a Lifetime member. You will never have to re-enroll.

You will no longer have to pay to attend Meetings, nor pay for missed Meetings as long as you remain no more than 2 pounds above your goal weight, and have weighed in at least once in a 1 month period.

If you ever weigh in over the 2-pounds-above-goal leeway, you may (depending on location) be available for a discounted meeting price.

Here’s a link with more detailed information about Lifetime on the Official WW Site.

*Please note that some of this information may vary for members depending on which locations they attend meetings. If you have more specific questions, see the above link or ask your local WW leader. This FAQ is intended only as a very basic explanation of what Lifetime involves.*

Last edited by Lovely; 02-20-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Closed Thread