Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 02-14-2012, 04:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 218/207/155

Height: 5'7"

Default Tried to sell my HIP and TRENDY gently used clothes....

There's a local store here that will "buy" gently used trendy/brand name clothes and resell them. I went through my closet this weekend and pulled out a huge portion of my jeans (I have kind of a jean fetish ) and shirts. I did this because I am too old, er I mean mature (questionable LOL), to wear jeans with apples and cats on the buttocks.

Anyway, a lot of the stuff is about 3 years old. I was certain I was gonna get about 75 dollars - about 4 dollars per piece of clothing, should they decide to take it.....

Well, they offered me a WHOPPING $16.10. I was disappointed but mostly insulted that my clothes weren't trendy enough for a high school/college student to wear. I have good taste, I think

All in all, I had to laugh at myself lol.....styles evolve. I think its better this way anyway. I will happily donate what that store didn't want along with some other stuff and feel fulfilled that I've helped in some way.
mammasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #2  
On my way to a size 10!

S/C/G: 236/see ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Have you thought about ebay?
SamanthaJubilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #3  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Bummer your fashion trend is worth diddly to them! I gotta say, your post struck me as funny- Ok I know the cat on jeans is baby phat, but apples I don't recall that fashion trend? ... please enlighten me, would ya? All I know is I wouldn't ever buy or wear jeans that had the words baby phat across my rear!
... just sayin
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 192/163/138

Height: 5"8

jeans with an apple design on the back pocket are from Apple Bottoms a brand started by Nelly
GobabyGoGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 235/196/160

Height: 5'8''

I really like your sense of humor.
uselessknowledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:56 PM   #6  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

They are usually inundated with offerings and are super picky. I tired to consign a few times when my kids were little. My kids clothes were very, very high quality (all second hand) and they wore them for a second as they were huge and fast growing babies (wearing 2ts by 9 months) and they didn't take any of it. I don't even think they sorted through it. However, when I sold stuff through a coop sale where I priced things myself and got them all ready, I got overe $150 net and then donated the still gobs of clothes that still didn't get sold.

The reality is, we arer swimming in garments. Worldwide.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #7  

@samantha, yes I considered eBay...I used to sell my sons clothes there. I'm just so overwhelmed by the thought of taking pics, listing, shipping....ugh. I'm exhausted thinking about it.

@evil....I thought it was funny too lol. And yes, the apples on the butt are none other than applebottoms. Trust me, I've learned that it just isn't right for a woman in her thirties (in my humble opinion) to wear teeny bopper clothes. There are some exceptions, but I'm with you in that apples, cats, or generally any picture or writing on the derrière is mostly wrong for a grown woman. I was going through a phase at the time (that's my story and I'm sticking to it )
Old 02-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

After my first big weight loss, I sold a lot of stuff on ebay. I even got more than I paid for some of the items as I'm a sales shopper. I made $400-$500 and donated what I didn't think would make me much money.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #9  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Thanks for the 101 Applebottom. OMG out of curiosity I googled it, ummmm NO fruit inspired jeans for moi either, that is down right well fruity! ha ha ha ha FYI mamasita, Iza 45, nope I won't be sportin cat or apple hiney anytime soon! I am sure your happy the phase doesn't phase you no more!
Thanks for the laugh... . NO more here kitty kitty or MEOW for you! You gotta love that! Your doing great, over 1/2 way there chicky, your rockin it! ~Wendalyn
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

The one good thing about apple bottom jeans is that they were made for women with small waists and big behinds. I finally feel too old for them too
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:36 AM   #11  
back in the habit

S/C/G: 166/139/<130

Height: 5'6"

I had a similar experience at Plato's Closet... I had many items in excellent condition and was expecting ~$3 for each piece, and I got a similar figure for my lot ($14 for over 30 items!). I was also slightly insulted, haha. I ended up taking all of the items to my local Goodwill and donating them instead... I figured I would rather have people be able to purchase some nicer items there (Express, Gap, American Eagle, etc etc) that they otherwise might not get. Definitely made my day to see the happy person at Goodwill take my donations
pavvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:12 PM   #12  
Pinup extraordinaire!

S/C/G: 273/232.4/165

Height: 5'8"

Plato's Closet will NEVER give you any money for your clothing. They're cheap with their spending.
tessendicott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #13  

Yep, it was Plato's closet that I went too.....Didn't realize they were a "chain"
Old 02-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #14  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Oh I've made the mistake of Plato's as well. I took in some season old Dior shows and they told me the best they did on shoes were like $15 or something. The chick at the counter even told me to try ebay.

They said they are only allowed to offer so much for items. It made me think of how you buy pricey school books and then get pennies on the sale back.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/155/135

Height: 5'3"

Im lucky enough to have a plus size consignment store in my area. The lady that runs it is great...she takes ANYTHING! I worked for 7 years in a plus size store, so I have more clothes than one person should be allowed to own. I'll wear them for a season, then take them to her, and she has never turned down a single item I've brought in. I've made at least $800 selling my clothes in her store. Not bad considering the original staff discount I got.
Hopefully I'm going to have a whole lot more to bring her soon!
Micki k is offline   Reply With Quote