Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 02-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #1  
TanishaG

S/C/G: 224/224/160

Height: 5 9.5"

Unhappy Please help to rescue me from my dieting/no weight loss ****!!!

Hi all! I am a Scottish girl and came across this website and thought it would be fun to talk to some like minded people! I don't usually use frames and things but thought maybe it could help.

I am currently about 222lbs (I think, I converted it from UK weights) and I need to get down to about 154lbs. This is the heaviest I've ever been. I so sad all the time, hate what I see in the mirror and feel like I am burdoning my friends and family with my constant moaning! I am even fed up of my own voice and I'm sure I can hear them thinking 'so do something about it then'! But it's not easy is it?!? Its the same with my boyfriend of 6 years, he is 6 4' and is skinny as a rake!

It's not that I haven't tried, trust me!!! I've lost weight successfully in the past but put it on again over the years. I've been to every weight loss class in town, I know the calories in every morsel I eat (when I admit I have eaten it!) and i want to be thin. I want to fit in my clothes again, I want not to cry all the time, I don't want to panic every time I invited to something worrying about what tent I am going to fit myself into! But I start and great for a time and then just lose it! I don't seem to get past the first couple of weeks. I am a real sugar lover and that's my downfall! I could have lost weight hundreds of times over by now! Instead, I lose it all to the best looking donut in the supermarket!

Can anyone give me words of wisdom. I don't want to spend money on classes I won't stick to, I know what I should be doing, if only I could stick to it. Each time I try, I feel more and more of a failure, so much so that I expect to fail before I even begin!

I hope I'm not the only one who feels like this.

:/
TeeshG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

S/C/G: 195/195/170

Height: 5'3"

Welcome to the forum! I am so glad that you joined us.
Do you know what food plan you are going to follow? There is a ton of information about many different food plans on this site. Pick a plan that fits in your lifestyle and you can follow long term. I chose calorie counting because it is free and flexible. It allows me to eat almost anything I wanted as long as it fits within my calorie range for the day and there are ton of free apps out there to help you track your food.
Give up the sugary drinks and drink lots and lots of water.
Incorporate some exercise into your weekly routine. You do not have to join an expensive gym try to walk more, use the stairs more, download videos off of YouTube or Hulu.com to work out to. There are a lot of things you can to do with spending a ton of money.
Lastly, if you have a bad meal, a bad day, heck, a bad food week. Do NOT let this be a reason to throw in the towel. Get back on track at the next meal. You can do this!!!
Best of luck to you!
NEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

You're here, and that's the best thing you can do for yourself!!!

I heard someone on here say "Just because you have a flat tire doesn't mean you get out of the car and slash the other three!" We all have bad days. Get up, dust yourself off, and keep going! Make some goals for yourself and stick to them. Pin a calendar to your bathroom wall and give yourself credit for good days, be mindful of bad days, keep track! If you fall off the wagon get back on!!

You can either spend the next year doing what you've been doing (is it working?) or you can change your habits and your life and make progress. It's your choice. Both of them are hard!!! Choose your hard!

You CAN do this!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #4  
TanishaG

Thanks so much guys! I will go and research what plan to follow. I like the tyres quote! It's pretty true! How do you get this little charts that shoe your losses? You guys are doing so well!!!
Old 02-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I am so glad you found this board! I can completely understand how you feel. Sometimes, when you give in, you can start to feel like you can never get it done. However, I'm here to tell you that you CAN do it. You can get the weight off. The key is to set in some new habits, figure out a plan and understand what weight loss looks like. The problem is that sometimes, we give up when things don't go down as quickly as we like or we lose some weight and then we stall for a bit. This is the time to really be most determined! Stick to your plan like glue and the weight will eventually come off. It didn't come on over night so it won't come off over night either. It is sometimes painfully slow, but it is happening. You are getting healthier.

Since you've lost weight before, you know what it takes, which is a great step in the right direction. As far as making some changes, here are some things I recommend:

1. Food log. Don't put anything in your mouth unless you have first put it on your food log. You can have a food journal or use an online tracker. Studies prove that people who log their food intake lose more weight and tend to keep it off. I highly recommend calorie counting. It's free and works great.

2. Have a plan of action for when the urge to eat off plan strikes. Go to your room, chew gum, drink hot tea, call a friend, do some push ups, clean your closet, go on this website and read success stories, knit, paint your nails, whatever it takes to get through that time. Visualize yourself feeling so proud of yourself the next morning for not giving into your cravings. I think visualization is very important.

3. Recommit every day. Motivation comes and goes, but every single morning, you need to remind yourself how you felt right when you wrote your post and do the work it takes to get to your goal.

4. Exercise. Move more every day. For me, working out isn't for weight loss. It's for mental balance. I feel like I'm going to stay on track if I know I've sweated that day. If you can do it early in the morning, then you know you've done it rather than putting it off. I have my gym clothes out the next day and I put them on without even thinking about it. There's no question about it. I'm going to workout. I often am at the gym at 5:30 in the morning and I leave there looking like someone dropped a bucket of water on my head.

5. This should have been higher on the list. Remove trigger foods from your home. If you want to have an occasional treat and it fits into your caloric budget, then go out and have a single serving. Rather than buying ice cream for the house (as an example), go out and have yourself a cone of it. Just don't keep it in the house.

6. Think positive thoughts. Don't beat yourself up about anything in the past. What's done is done. If you fall off track, get right back on! I fall off track a lot but I tell myself now that I need to get right back on or I'll gain all of the weight back on.

7. Don't pressure yourself to lose X amount of weight by so and so date. That kind of pressure leads to failure more times than success, as far as I can tell.

8. Reward yourself with things that are not food related.

9. Be kind to yourself. Your worth is not tied into your weight. You're a good person and have a lot to offer, so stop being mean to you!

10. Enjoy the journey. I know that sounds weird but think of it as a fun challenge. Read a lot about it and do whatever you can to make it more fun. You're much more likely to stick to something if it's pleasant as opposed to a dreadful task.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:33 PM   #6  
TanishaG

Thanks so much for the kind messages. I'm going to sleep now with positive and happy thoughts. Night all. )