MOCK BAKED "APPLES" / "APPLE" TART:
Who says you can't enjoy the taste of fruit on Ideal Protein? Believe it or not, the spices and sweetener will literally transform your zucchini (YES, ZUCCHINI!) into the sweet taste of apples.
I totally crave this and its a perfect late-evening snack when you want something sweet and fruity. its also a great way to get in additional veggies if you are sick of salads. :-)
You can make just baked "apples" (my preference) or use your Ideal Protein Oatmeal to make a crust for a pie/tart.
1 large zucchini
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 pinch salt
2 packets sweetener (like Truvia or Splenda)
1 tsp or more Apple Pie Spice (You can also make your own with recipe below)
1 tsp vanilla or 1 TB DaVinci/Torani Sugar-Free Vanilla Syrup
Make IP Oatmeal according to directions (Can use a bit less water)
1. Cut zucchini into circular disks, then cut in half to make apple slices
2. Toss togetherzucchini, lemon juice and salt. Place mixture into frying pan and cook until tender-crisp.
Note: If you are concerned about using so much lemon juice, you can cut it to 2TB. It will still taste great, but won't have a "syrupy" texture. Just make sure not to dry out when baking.
3. Midway through cooking the zucchini, add in the spices, sweetener, and vanilla. I use more than 1 tsp of the spice because I like it strong.
4. If making just the apples, lightly spray a glass pie pan with cooking spray or "I Cant Believe Its Not Butter" spray. Lay down the zucchini pies like a pie. Drizzle over the top any extra lemon juice.
5. Bake in oven at 400 degrees F (205 degrees C) for 15-30 minutes until done. (taste at 15 min. Less time is crisp apple. More time is soft apple)
Note that the lemon juice can be quite strong. You can add a bit more sweetener to cut the sour. I use the Sugar-Free Vanilla syrup to raise the sweetness without the risk of too much of the sweetener packets. Also good with Sugar-Free Toasted Marshmallow.
If you are making the tart, make the IP Oatmeal according to directions (maybe use a bit less water) and spoon into the glass pie pan with non-stick spray. Layer "apples" on top. Bake according to directions.
The taste of the tart is quite good, but not quite what I expected and I dont like using a restricted product (oatmeal) for this when the regular baked apples by themselves are so good.
You can also enjoy this with IP Vanilla "Ice Cream".
See directions here:
Apple Pie Spice:
•1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
•1/4 teaspoons ground nutmeg
•1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
•1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional, but I use this all the time. Make sure the cardamom is ground finely)
Combine all ingredients. If you make extra, store in an airtight container.