Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #1  
Kait

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Default When did you begin weight training?

For those of you who do it, did you wait until you lost weight to start or do it as you lost weight? Did you do alternating days of cardio/weight training? I feel so weak and bad every time I lift! Maybe I should get the new rules of lifting too.
Kait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:11 PM   #2  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I didn't start weight training until about 6 months ago, so about 7 months into it. Why? I thought i would hate it. But I love it (I do BodyPump at the gym which is a resistance training class)

I do resistance training twice a week, yoga/stretching twice a week and cardio three times a week. I double up a cardio and strength training class once a week, so I don't exeercise every day.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:18 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7

I started weights a few weeks in but caused minor injuries (probably by trying to do too much too soon) that took so long to heal it's been more of a dabble here and there until a few weeks ago. Read a book that suggests strength training over cardio for weight loss and thought I'd give it a proper try. (right now I'm doing no cardio to give it a fair shot and early indications are good)

I generally do day 1 upper body, day 2 lower body, day 3 rest, in a constant cycle
Tourny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 AM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Definitely get the book News Rules of Lifting! I loved it.

I started about half way through my journey (so the low end of the 190's) simply because then I had access to a gym. At the beginning I was lifting about 3x per week but now I lift 1x per week and swim about 3x per week (I have crappy knees so I can't do any leg workouts).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:56 AM   #5  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I started weight training right when I started making an effort to lose weight. Mostly because I truly hate cardio and because weight training makes me feel really good. It takes time to build those muscles and to build them the way you want them.

I actually do Pilates five days a week and I weight train three days a week. I've done split routines in the past, but wasn't doing Pilates at that time. I like keeping the Pilates in the morning because it helps me to stretch out the sore muscles from the evening before. I weight train in the late afternoons or evenings. I do very little cardio, mostly just rowing on an erg rower. I'm getting a dog soon so I'm sure I'll be walking again on a daily basis.

I really love having a trainer to work with once a week. Helps me to get my form right. Better to lift low and have the right form. I've had too many setbacks from poor form that gave me injuries that took time to heal.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 PM   #6  

Height: 5'6

I started NROL4W back in September 2011 and love it. I'm on stage 5 and I'm hooked for life, lol.

I do cardio at the end of my workouts per the book but not like I used to. My focus is strength training and sometimes I do some yoga but mostly it's the weights. It's the only thing that I've found that keeps me both lean with some nice muscle definition. Cardio alone didn't do that.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #7  
chocolilly

S/C/G: check ticker

I started weight training the same time i was introduced to the gym lol. From what I heard, people said that if you dont do weight lifting you will have saggy skin left over.. so for that reason I did it. I started weight lifting last year after 2 years of break.
I do it after 60 mins of cardio, 5 days a week

I enjoy weight lifting now it feels good, and it also relaxes me
fatneedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #8  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I started about a year ago but I wish I'd started a LONG time ago. It's fun, makes me feel awesome, and makes me look amazing!!! And, it's SO good for you.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #9  
Determined to reach goal!

S/C/G: 224/201.0/150

Height: 5'7

I'm new to weights, I started perhaps 4 weeks ago now. I do BodyPump twice a week and love it! The first few classes I found it frustrating not being able to do the moves, and I also found it REALLY tough. But already after a short time things have got much easier and I've been advised to start upping my weights already, which is a little scary but also exciting. I love the thought of being fit and strong, bring it on

I also do spinning once a week, hydrojog once a week and walk/jog/aerobic DVDs whenever I can
takingcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I just reread (I'm such a bad skimmer, I'm so sorry) and see that you feel badly after you work out.

When do you workout and what do you eat/drink before and after... and what does your workout schedule look like exactly?
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #11  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

I'm a New Rules person too. Love it!

If you feel crappy and weak during your lifting sessions, you might want to think a little bit about your diet. I definitely CANNOT go into the gym and work hard unless I've eaten something substantial and high in protein within the last couple of hours. At the very least, I have one of those chobani yogurts to give my body something to draw on.
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #12  
Kait

S/C/G: 180/ticker/130

Sorry guys, I worded that weird. I didn't actually mean that I felt 'bad' after I exercised, I just felt guilty like I wasn't trying hard enough, and I feel weak while I'm doing them. Anyway, I just got New Rules of Lifting and I have a question about it since some of you have done it, but I'm going to post it in the NROL thread! Thanks for all the answers though, everyone.
Kait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:58 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

2005. I started losing the weight in 2003 and got down to skinny fat (5'5 and 109lbs!!!) and weigh training helped me gain up to 125lbs looking fit! wish I had started earlier!
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

I recently started weight lifting, I lost 15lbs just cutting calories and doing cardio but I got stuck and I'm very unhappy with how my body looks so I'm giving weight lifting a try.

After reading posts on here I bought New Lifting Rules as well. I just started but I'm doing it 3x a week with 20-30 minutes of cardio afterwards and then just cardio 1-2 a week.

I'd like to be able to get to my goal weight, but I'd also be happy getting to my goal size (4) even if I don't lost more weight.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:41 AM   #15  
Paso a paso

S/C/G: 264/Ticker/160

Height: 1.65

I started lifting before even thinking of starting a diet xD. I started lifting in november 2009 and started dieting on oct 2010.

In these years i've done all kinds of rutines : 5 days working diferent body parts, 4 days working upper body one day and lower body the next, 3 days working 2 muscles every day and not repeting them in the same week; ABA BAB rutines, high reps, low reps ... you name it.

I do cardio every day, what i'm doing now is Turbulence Training wich is an ABA BAB type of training with HIIT after weights, and 30 minutes cardio the rest of the days
Lyla is offline   Reply With Quote