Old 02-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Default Unexpected side effect . . .

Last January when I decided to change how I eat and live, I was certain I'd lose weight. But a couple things I didn't even think about happened, too.

After 5 months of "dieting" and exercising, I went to the doctor's office for a check up before having a small cyst removed from my shoulder. I was measured at 5'7" tall. I USED to be that height in my earlier years, but since the very beginning of menopause about 15 years ago I have consistently measured 5' - 6 1/2" tall, no matter how tall I tried to make myself.

And I realized the other day that I have not used an antacid tablet of any kind since last January when I changed my diet. I still eat the spicy stuff, but not the junk with lots of fat in it. Must be that it wasn't the spicy that gave me trouble before after all!

These 2 things make me almost as happy as the weight loss, funny as that may seem. Both indicate to me that my health really has improved. I was wondering if anyone else has had similar little things that are simply an added bonus you never expected.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #2  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

Yay We love those unexpected discoveries!
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #3  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

Of course - lower glucose readings. This morning was 79. That is lower than normal of 92, but it is a big difference from waking in the mornings with readings of 180+. Resultant need to take less diabetes meds. I still take them with a meal depending on the composition of the meal. I cannot take diabetes meds with a salad and protein b/c an hour or so later my glucose drops dangerously low. If I'm carbing tho, I take 1 pill, not 2.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

What would account for the change in height? I wouldn't mind gaining half an inch myself... >.>
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:46 PM   #5  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 285/209/165

Height: 5'5"

Well, all my bloodwork is much better and that's a huge NSV for me. But today I realized that my arthritis is also much much better. It was super cold today and church was only about 55 degrees. Our piano player was having a bit of trouble because of her arthritis and that's when it hit me - my hands were totally ache free. I hadn't even thought about it but I know a year ago a morning like this would have been really difficult for me.
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #6  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadya View Post
What would account for the change in height? I wouldn't mind gaining half an inch myself... >.>
I gained almost a full inch last time I got down to a normal weight range. I attributed it to muscle tone and holding myself better as I got smaller and stronger.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Wow! Congrats on those accomplishments--that extra half inch sure is nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
I gained almost a full inch last time I got down to a normal weight range. I attributed it to muscle tone and holding myself better as I got smaller and stronger.
I wonder if this is the reason why I suddenly found out I was about an inch taller than I thought I was. I was always measured at 5'2", but my most recent physical (last year) I measured at 5'3". Even now when I measure myself I get the same thing. I started lifting weights about three years ago and didn't have a physical until that one last year.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #8  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Like the other ladies, my overall health has improved -- my blood sugar levels are good & am off meds; my cholesterol is normal (with no meds); and my blood pressure is the lowest it has been in years & years (136/72). I am thrilled that I didn't have to take meds for this.

My legs aren't swelling as bad as they used to; and my knees are getting stronger. Plus my skin condition has improved a lot as well (everywhere). I feel more comfortable in my body (esp my agility) and in my clothes; and dressing is more comfortable for me too. I'm sure all of this will get even better as I go along.

LIN ~ sometimes, hot pepper spices do bother my stomach, but I think the salty, fatty junkies bother our tummies more than we realize or want to admit. I don't take antacids as much either (rarely now); and I noticed that NSV right away.

EDIT TO ADD: oh, and no more acid reflux anymore either; that went away right away as well.

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-12-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #9  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

Regarding height, it could be the type of exercise you're doing. My Pilates instructor told me recently that some people find they grow taller with some forms of exercise. Now I'm anxious to get measured at the doctor's office next month, because several of my tops seem shorter in my torso (but not the sleeves) in the last year and I just attributed that to general shrinkage from washing.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

That is so awesome!!! And a height increase changes your BMI to lower too, no?
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'm sure the change in height is due to exercise. I used to be 5'7" at this weight - up until I was about 45 when pre-menopausal stuff started happening. I lost about 1/2" over the course of a few years. I totally chalked it up to age and menopause. When I first started to lose weight there was a Yoga class at a convenient time at my gym. I think the stretching played a big part.

The problem with it changing BMI - well, I never figured BMI based on 5'6 1/2" since I always think of myself as 5'7"! LOL

What a great bunch of wonderful side effects. I knew about the height thing since last May. But I was moving something on a shelf in the kitchen and saw the bottle of Tums and realized I hadn't used one in over a year. Just sort of took me by surprise. I think it's great to acknowledge all of these - especially as motivation to others who are reading.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #12  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I made a post on my blog about this once here.

More recently the biggest thing I've noticed is that I have less insomnia. I'll have to check my height but I'm pretty sure DH at least looks taller from weight loss.

ETA: oh, another thing. I always thought caffeine affected me in terms of cysts. It turns out that once I stopped putting sugar in my coffee in the mornings the problems went away.

Last edited by runningfromfat; 02-13-2012 at 05:34 AM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:49 AM   #13  
Cocktail Cowgirl

S/C/G: 280/263/160

Height: 5'6"

I knew my energy level would go up, but I did not expect my sleep time to go down. I used to sleep 8-9 hours a night, now I am ready to go on 6-7.
cathi888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 295/see ticker/150

Height: 5'9

My docter informed me the hight is a combonation of stronger abdomens all around supporting the spine and less weight compressing the spine so it is more possible for your body to stand to your full height. So far I've gained a quarter of an inch
pnkrckpixikat is offline   Reply With Quote