Old 02-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #1  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Default When Could You "See" The Changes?

In the past when I've lost weight I really had a hard time seeing a difference in myself. I guess it's because I see that person in the mirror everyday and the little changes are hard to see. I took pictures every 10 pounds and compared them side by side so that I could actually see a difference. At my best I lost 40 pounds. Even though I saw a difference when I compared the pics, I really didn't see much of a difference in the mirror. Sadly, that 40 pounds is back with me, but I am working to rid myself of it once and for all.

I was wondering, how many pounds did you lose before you started actually seeing a difference when you looked at yourself in the mirror? It was discouraging for me to look in the mirror, hoping to see a healthy, slim girl looking back and me and I never saw that, even when I lost that 40 pounds. Once of these days though I'll be able to look in a mirror and say "WOW! She looks good!"

Last edited by HealthyMeWannabe; 02-11-2012 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling error
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #2  
Tired Of Just Surviving

S/C/G: 315/272/215

Height: 5'7

I can not really see any changes in myself as of yet but I can in my clothing. I wear nurse scrubs everyday to work and they are way to big now I need to get a smaller size but I do not want to spend a lot of money on something that I am going to have to replace again in a couple of months.
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #3  
50 and Fabulous :)

S/C/G: 250/229/160

Height: 5'4"

I heard this called the paper towel effect...like when you take off the first few sheets paper towel roll you can't really tell it's getting smaller but near the end every sheet makes a difference. Same idea. Now that I'm a bit over half way to my goal, people really see and I can see rapid changes in how my clothing fits (and that it's getting big pretty quickly).
fyreflie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 327/239.6/199

I'm around 55 - 57 pounds lost and am just starting to notice small changes in the mirror. I see big changes in the clothing and it was bothering me that I couldn't see it for myself looking in the mirror. I like the paper towel analogy.
Unicorn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

I noticed a difference 14 pounds in. I didn't think I had lost that much though, I was shocked. I noticed it mainly in my stomach because I absolutely hate that particular area of my body. If I hadn't noticed a difference there, I doubt I would have weighed myself for a while. I agree with fyreflie's explanation, that sounds right.
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:40 PM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

As other have said, it depends strongly upon how much you have to lose - the paper towel analogy is very, very apt. I had over 100 pounds to lose when I started. I would say that about 30 pounds in I could feel a real difference in my clothes, but I couldn't see the difference when I looked at myself. That didn't come until 50 pounds or so. At thwt point, I still looked fat, but the loss really showed. After I'd lost 75 pounds or 80, it was like a switch flipped - I still had weight to lose, but I really started to look like a different person, well on my way to being a trim person. That is when the comments from others starting coming frequently as well.

It's like everything else about this process - it takes a lot of patience.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:58 PM   #7  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I started out at well over 300 pounds and it took about 40 pounds until I could see a difference and around 60 pounds until people started commenting. Though I could FEEL a difference within a week. I wasn't so bloated and my GERD (acid reflux diease) nightly attacks disappeared... Oh what a wonderful feeling it was to get a good nights sleep after years of misery!!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #8  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

You know its really weird. When I LOOK in the mirror....not a lot has changed to me. I'm still me. I've weighed this before (but not less than this for a long time) so it isn't unusual to see me this size. However, when I CATCH myself in the mirror, I have a different silhoutte that takes me by surprise and I realize I do look thinner.

It doesn't help that I can still wear much of the clothing I was wearing 30 pounds ago, however ill fitting...lol

My neighbor from around the corner who I see every few months or so said "did you lose weight" when I had lost FOUR pounds. Hilarious. Wait till she sees me now!

You'll see it when you least expect it.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #9  
Starting over...again!

S/C/G: 298.4/see ticker/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyreflie24 View Post
I heard this called the paper towel effect...like when you take off the first few sheets paper towel roll you can't really tell it's getting smaller but near the end every sheet makes a difference. Same idea. Now that I'm a bit over half way to my goal, people really see and I can see rapid changes in how my clothing fits (and that it's getting big pretty quickly).
I absolutely love this analogy! I'd never thought about it that way before! I'm going to have to remember this one.
HealthyMeWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:18 AM   #10  
science nerd

S/C/G: 302/ticker/151

Height: 5'8"

I think it's hard to see the differences in yourself, because you see yourself everyday, and small changes are hard to see when you constantly look at something. I've lost over 30 pounds in the past two years (although most of it came off recently), and I don't really see a difference when I look in the mirror. The only way I know I'm losing is A) the scale, B) the fit of my clothes, and C) the occasional body measurements. Even with all those things, it's still hard to see the changes. My pants are all too big, I've lost 5 inches from my hips, and the numbers on the scale are dropping. But I can't believe it sometimes, and I still see a fat person when I look in the mirror. But I know that one of these days, I'm going to buy some new clothes and realize, "hey, you're a lot skinnier than you used to be." And it's going to be great.
shadowclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #11  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Yes, paper towel effect!!

It took me a good 30 lbs to notice anything in the beginning. Now, even a pound or 3 is really noticeable. TOM water weight gain is even a lot more apparent. I'm curious how things will be in 30 more lbs!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #12  
I'm doing this!

S/C/G: 220/ ticker /140

Height: 5'3"

it took me about 15 lbs. It showed in my belly area. I always felt like I looked like I was pregnant and now I could really tell it's smaller, THANK GOD
alitorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #13  
Started IP 8/20/14

S/C/G: HW292/SW284/CW284/GW200

Height: 5'8"

I'm almost at 60 pounds lost and am now just staring to notice the changes in my body. After the first 30, I could tell a difference in my face, but not much elsewhere. Now, I can see my legs are thinner, especially my thighs. I've only lost four inches in my waist - so unfair when considering almost 60 pounds in!

I started receiving compliments/comments from coworkers and friends at about 40 pounds lost. My family (for the most part) still hasn't acknowledged my weight loss. I think it's because they're terrified if they say anything, I'll go and gain the weight back.

Honestly, it's somewhat depressing because I still have LONG way to go. I was hoping that after losing 55ish pounds, a slim and trim girl would be showing up in the mirror - lol! Not so much.

Anyway, KEEP GOING! Every pound counts - it's a cumulative effect. The paper towel analogy is spot on.
PghGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #14  

I started at 304, I'm now (as of today) at 227, and it took a long time for me to see changes. It's been in the past 20 or so that I see it in the mirror.

Part of the issue is my body shape - I'm an apple-y rectangle. I do not have a bum or thighs at all, so I lost quickly there. It has taken this long for me to really see changes in my upper body, but it's finally happening, I think because
there's almost nothing left to lose at my hips and below!

So it depends on where your weight is too...
eliza422 is offline   Reply With Quote