General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #1  
is chubby

Default Being sick and diet?

So I got the flu and am constantly running a 37,5 celcius fever.
I feel like @#*& and don't have an apetite.

Here comes the question now... how much should someone eat while being sick?
As much as I want only adds up to 700 calories of juice and soup.

Is it ok to continue dieting while sick? My health is top priority so I'd like to know what the optimal choice is.

It's being going on three days now so it's not like a one day type of thing.
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 175.6/Ticker/143

Height: 5'4''

Um. 37,5 is not a fever. So your body temperature is normal.

You might feel like crap either way tho. I'd say stick to the diet. Try to eat something besides soup. But dont eat more than you usually do. Try to drink as much water as you can, and take some Vitamin C.

Hope you get to feeling better soon
Eurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 07:48 AM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

In short, in my mind it's OK to do what you need when you're sick in order to expedite the healing process.

In length...

I'm here trying to be healthier overall. I want my body to be healthier, and part of that is making sure that I take care of myself when my needs change. Even when my needs change temporarily.

If I'm ill (and for me that doesn't mean just having a sniffle, but being stuck in bed or on the sofa), I'm not also going to be dealing with being sick while at the same time berating myself for only wanting some buttered toast and diet soda. It's not as if being sick is an excuse to eat a bag of chocolates for me. Usually if I'm that sick I only want a little bit of food and lots of liquids. So, I'm not going to punish myself further by also being upset about my food plans not going my way.

The first order of business in my mind is getting healthier. Then it'll be back to proper eating plans once I'm well enough to stand for more than a minute.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 08:47 AM   #4  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

...I agree with Lovely...
Actually, there is a line from a movie or show that states "I'm just one stomach flu away from my ideal weight" <--- ain't it the truth.

When a person is sick, generally the last thing wanted is food -- but of course we have to eat. Some soup or toast, or whatever can be tolerated should be eaten, along with liquids...water especially. A few days sick and not eating to full capacity isn't going to hurt a diet. Most likely it will, temporarily, cause a drop in weight...until the person can start eating properly again. However, a tiny bit of the lost weight may linger and, as such, assist in the diet. Either way, when I'm sick, I am not going to force myself to eat to my day's calorie capacity. I'd much rather get some sleep.
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #5  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I pause the diet/exercise stuff and just focus on getting well.

Eat what my tummy can manage -- BRAT if really awful. Banana, rice, apple, toast. Then graduate to soups. Then move on from there.

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #6  
is chubby

Thanks for the advice people.
I'll just eat normally when my apetite returns then, because for now nothing solid is going down. Food causes me to cough more and when I eat my temperature goes up to 38 for a while, no idea why.

37,5-37,6 might be on the edge of normal for some people btw, but I am a constant 36,6 when I am healthy so for me that is a whole degree over what my body normally is and it feels really bad
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/165/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubbykins View Post
So I got the flu and am constantly running a 37,5 celcius fever.
I feel like @#*& and don't have an apetite.

Here comes the question now... how much should someone eat while being sick?
As much as I want only adds up to 700 calories of juice and soup.

Is it ok to continue dieting while sick? My health is top priority so I'd like to know what the optimal choice is.

It's being going on three days now so it's not like a one day type of thing.
BRRR! JK! Fahrenheit joke! I hope you are feeling better by now as this is an old post! But for future reference I don't think you will hurt anything. Eat as much as you can as your body needs nutrients and A TON of fluids to combat the illness. It's hard to eat when you feel like puking, so don't force yourself to eat if you can't...it's not any better barfing things up! If you can't keep down solids try higher calorie drinks with lots of nutrients...maybe Slimfasts or vitamin waters. Sip sip sip, no gulps!
JudgeDread is offline   Reply With Quote