Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #1  
Viking Barbarian

S/C/G: 298/226/120

Height: 5'8"

Default Senna Tea

Recently a friend suggested I try this tea because it helped her a lot, and I was wondering if anyone else had given it a try. It's been two days now and I feel absolutely great. I think it may be a bit in my head because even though I'm eating well it's good to know not all of what i ate will be absorbed.
I did a lot of research on it and know the risks, just wondering if anyone else out there have tried it and how it worked for them?
I've lost 5lbs water weight, am drinking lots of water, and not taking the tea more than two times a day.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:50 AM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Senna is a laxative. Anything you lose is waste and water, not fat. When you stop using it, most of that weight will come back on, simply as more water and wastes sit in your system. There is nothing about taking a laxative that will result in fat loss.

In addition, continuous laxative use can lead to dependence, meaning you won't be able to go at all without the senna.

It does show results on the scale, because you dehydrate your body and force wastes to move out faster. But those scale results don't translate into anything on your body, since they're not actually fat.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #3  
Viking Barbarian

Yes I know this, I'm taking it more as a detox for my system. I've been eating so badly I'm trying to give myself a general cleanse before I really get busy dieting. Also, the other ingredients make it so your body can't absorb fat. She's been using it for maybe 2-3 weeks and has lost over 20lbs. That can't ALL be water.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #4  
Viking Barbarian

oh and as for dependance, when the box is gone I won't be getting more. I used to abuse laxatives in high school and only use them periodically to speed things along.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

Also, it looks like you have a misconception on how laxatives work:

Quote:
I think it may be a bit in my head because even though I'm eating well it's good to know not all of what i ate will be absorbed.
Laxatives speed the removal of wastes from your large intestine. Nutrients are, for the most part, absorbed in your small intestine. So by the time the food is affected by the laxative action, all of the calories have been absorbed anyway. So you're not going to move what you eat through faster than it can be absorbed.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #6  
Moderating Mama

Quote:
Also, the other ingredients make it so your body can't absorb fat.
There is a prescription product (Alli) that can cause this effect, to a small degree. Any other ingredient that purports to do this is making claims not backed by science.

As for 20 lbs of water, depending on her size, that's absolutely possible. If it's my TOM, I can put on and take off 10, and that's without taking anything diuretic.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #7  
Viking Barbarian

You know, I kind of sounded like an idiot in this thread and totally didn't mean to. I just get so wrapped up in what the boxes for things claim I see things in that light, and only that way. Right now I have crippling pain in my entire abdomen, probably cause the bf and i decided to get Chinese last night at like 10pm...yet in some crazy way I hope it hurts cause it's working and I deserve it because I ate like 3000 calories yesterday. In reality this herb is probably ripping my insides out, and I take it with a delusional smile.
Isn't insanity doing the same thing over and over expecting different results?
At the risk of sounding like an idiot again, that's what happens in my head.
Closed Thread