Old 02-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #1  
Shrinking week by week

S/C/G: 207.7/ticker/105

Height: 5'2

Unhappy why oh why is my scale being mean?

I started this weight loss endeavor one week ago, on February 3rd. i was 207.7 then. Been counting calories, sticking around 1200-1300 with no problem! was amazed at how easy of a time i was having. The scale was showing it too! every single day since last friday, i lost weight daily. in fact, by thursday, i was down to 201.9, a loss of 5.8 pounds in 6 days! i was so excited to be so close to onederland.

this morning was my official one week weigh in. yeah, i've been doing it daily, but i wanted to know how much i lost "in a week." i gained 2.5 overnight!!! up to 204.1 again. whY? ugh. i didnt cheat yesterday. didnt eat very healthy dinner, but, it was within 1300 calories for the day! i know i should be happy that I am down 3.6 pounds this week, but a 2.5 gain for no reason is really discouraging

anyone want to tel me it happened to them and they didn't go off track and never lose it all? thanks
HappyNurse2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:50 AM   #2  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Look at the forest not the tree. (3.6 in a week that is)
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM   #3  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7

any rapid gain (or loss) is usually water being retained or released (possibly due to salt intake or hydration).

Drink plenty of water to get yourself hydrated and flush excess salt.
if your weight drops by that much again you have your answer.
Tourny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

This speech has been given hundreds of times on this board, so first know that you're not alone. This happens to ALL of us. All of us. Those of us who weigh daily just see it more often, and we're the ones who have to get used to the fluctuations on the scale.

You say you didn't eat a super healthy dinner. Depending on what it was, it could be that even though you stayed in your calorie range, your sodium is up from less-than-healthy food and you're retaining water. If I eat pizza, for instance, even a reasonable portion, I am always up a couple pounds the next day.

Salt and carbs both can make a lot of us retain water. Just drink your water today and you'll probably see a loss again tomorrow. The good news is you haven't gained back two pounds of fat! You're doing great, and you'll see the number go back down over the next week as well. (And once you figure out your body's weight loss pattern, you can choose your natural 'low' day as your 'official' weigh-in. Mine happens to be Wednesday.)

In the meantime, read this post on weight fluctuations: Weight Loss Fluctuations. It will explain a lot and hopefully help you feel a little better.

Last edited by thistoo; 02-10-2012 at 07:11 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

All that is said above is true. And some of the initial loss might have been water that your body decided it needed so it held on to it on this particular day. Weigh every day and notice the patterns. What you ate, TOM, ovulation. All of this has impact on out weight on a daily basis. The big picture is you lost a considerable amount in a week. I think it's wise to have an official weigh in day, sort of like going to WW. Don't stress over the daily ups and downs. You'll make yourself nuts. A steady down trend is all that matters.

Welcome to 3fc. Keep up the good work and don't worry too much.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 285/249.6/175

Height: 5'7"

I've had those days too, one morning I wake up and I could be down 2lbs, the next day I may be up 1-2lbs as long as you are losing weight overall that's all that matters. Many time our bodies can fluctuate a few pounds within the same day! Don't let it get you down or set you back from your overall goal... use it as a motivating factor to move forward!!!
suzukigurl is offline   Reply With Quote