Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #1  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Anyone having green smoothies?

Hello there! I'm not really doing a whole foods diet, but I'm convinced that I should start having green smoothies. I just made one that I got from Dr. Oz. It was really hard to make because it hardly fit into my blender and it was very hard to blend since it didn't have much liquid. Next time, I'll do the green apples first and that will add more liquid....plus I'll cut the recipe in half because I have way too much now.

I just drank some of it and I can't explain how energizing it seems. Maybe it's psychological but the smoothie is kind of awesome, while disgusting to me at the same time. So, am I the only crazy one doing this? I"d like to make it a lifestyle change. I'm hoping that it will lead me to make other good changes in my eating habits.

Anyone else? If so....do you have recipes or websites that you'd recommend? Thanks!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:04 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

I made the Dr. Oz one and loved it. I've got more veggies in the 'fridge with the intention to make it again. The parsley taste is strong, but I liked it.

I think such smoothies are a convenient way to get those veggies in. I'm going to try my food processor instead of the blender. But, don't use a juicer because we need the fiber.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I was doing green smoothies everyday for a while, I like them. I just came across some new recipes, I'll post them later. I'm thinking I need to do smoothies more often.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:37 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Green smoothies have been our go to dinner on hot nights. We love them. There are a few threads around here with recipes. If you google green monster you will find lots of recipes. Mine usually include Greek yogurt, greens, baby zucchini, chia, and frozen fruit. If I want more protein I add a scoop of plain hemp powder.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #5  
missjkd

S/C/G: 218/ticker/118

Height: 5'2"

I just started making green smoothies about a week ago and I don't know if it is all in my head, but I really think they have helped with cravings. I blend, 3/4 cup coconut water, 1/2 cup blueberries, 1 cup kale, handful of collard greens and 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed. It certainly is not good, but I know that it is super good for me.
missjkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:57 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 110/105

Height: 5'2

Me!! I have found a TON of great recipes in the book 'Green Smoothie Revolution', I got it from my library. One favorite is SUPER simple. 1 mango, 1 cup kale, 1 cup water. YUM! We have tried, I think 3 different recipes and so far so good!
rawbanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #7  

Thumbs up good habit to get into!

Yes! I have green smoothies and homemade juices several times per week (usually once a day but sometimes every other day).
didan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:42 AM   #8  

Especially in the peak of the summer and one of best time for picking of the wild edibles growing around us; One of the most prevalent edibles and perhaps the most under-appreciated is the green smoothies.
I don't like then either...
PhatBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:44 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

I've been drinking a breakfast green smoothie almost daily for the past 6 months. Well, not while I was on vacation during the summer, but when I'm home, my blender is my best friend

Since it's fall, I've been trying to incorporate pumpkin flavors into my breakfast...

Chocolate Pumpkin Green Smoothie

1 c pumpkin puree
1 c swiss chard
1 small banana (optional)
1 Tbsp ground flax seeds (omega-3s!!)
1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (optional)
water (4 cups or so)

Lol, the color will probably not be green. The pumpkin color is pretty overpowering, and so is the chocolate.
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 09:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 256/240/140

Height: 5'2"

i love green smoothies!!! and a morning juice. if you havent read the green smoothie revolution or green for life. i recommend you read these!
PenChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 05:30 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 197/185/123-125

Height: 5'1"

When I was trying out a raw food diet, I used to do green smoothies for snacks. I'm a little picky about textures and colors, though, so my green smoothies were never really green :-) (in color, that is). I also didn't have the courage to stuff a bunch of greens in there - mine were dominated by fruit.

I think my usual recipe was something like this: 1 cup packed spinach leaves, 1 cup frozen fruit, juice of 1 orange, a touch of agave (if I needed the sweetness) and water as needed. I may have thrown in a tablespoon of ground flax in there as well, I don't recall.

They were very delicious, as the spinach gave the smoothie a very creamy texture but didn't dominate the taste. I tried smoothies with other greens (parsley, lettuce, celery) and just found them too dominating. Spinach always worked well for me.

I haven't had a smoothie in more than a year because I'm in Israel for the time being and they don't have fresh spinach here. I kid you not. Fresh local grown produce is very widely available here as Israelis are big veggie and fruit people but because it's focused on local stuff, I guess that spinach doesn't grown well in a Mediterranean climate .

Tam
tammay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 148/134/125

Height: 5'4"

I have a lot of spinach that needs to be used so I made Chocolate Spinach Smoothie and it tastes a treat. The two servings of fruit provide enough sugar that it doesn't need any other sweeteners, but take out the banana if the sugar seems too high.

makes 1 serving (about 1 1/2 cups)
100 grams of spinach (leaves or defrosted from a package - not salted!)
50 grams of frozen banana
100 grams of frozen blueberries
100 grams of milk (I use 1.5%)
1 1/2 tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa (or less, as you like it)

172 calories
3.8 g fat
9.2 g protein
30.8 g carb
17.9 g sugar
11.3 g fiber

I just make this because I hate. hate. hate. spinach any other way.
graterandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:52 AM   #13  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 300/235/190

Height: 5'7

You can use frozen spinach in your smoothie? How does that come out and what does it taste like?

Also, do you guys know any green smoothie recipes that call for coconut butter? I have a big jar of this stuff that needs to be eaten. I imagine something tropical-ish, would be nice?

Any green smoothie recipe for collards? I have a bundle that needs to go soon too!

I just tried this recipe the other day and my DD whose 5 years old actually drank a full glass and wanted more! It's not green and so I think it is a good starter green smoothie.

CREAMY FRUIT AND BERRY SMOOTHIE
1 cup pomegranate juice
1/2 cup unsweetened soy/hemp/nut milk
1/2 cup strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup mangoes
1 banana
1 tablespoon of ground flax

Start off by adding one small handful of a light-flavoured green and then increase.... I usually add 1 handful of raw spinach or kale.

BLENDED MANGOE SALAD
1 ripe mango
1 cup chopped spinach
4 cups romaine lettuce
1/2 cup unsweetened soy/hemp/or almond milk

Last edited by TempleBody; 11-07-2011 at 08:53 AM.
TempleBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #14  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

Love these babies. :-) My fave so far:

3 cups spinach leaves (the more the merrier)
1.5 cups almond milk, unsweetened
1 banana
1 Tbsp. rolled oats or flaxseed
1 scoop Nectar protein powder
1 apple, cored but not peeled (optional)
1 tbsp. organic peanut butter (optional)

The basic stats on this is about 300-350 cals, and if I need extra protein I add the 1 Tbsp. peanut butter. It makes 2 full 12 oz. glasses.
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 179.8/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 6in

[QUOTE=TempleBody;4099101]You can use frozen spinach in your smoothie? How does that come out and what does it taste like?

Also, do you guys know any green smoothie recipes that call for coconut butter? I have a big jar of this stuff that needs to be eaten. I imagine something tropical-ish, would be nice?

I use a lot of frozen spinach, cause it's cheaper and easier to keep on hand. It tastes fine to me, I'm sure fresh tastes better though

I've never had coconut butter... does it taste like coconut? Then I'd pair it with pineapples and make it a pina colada smoothie =P

Paula Deen has one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/p...ipe/index.html

By the way, I rarely go by recipes these days. I start with 2 cups of greens, add 4 prunes (vit A, fiber, potassium, copper) and 2 Tbsp Chia seeds (protein, omega 3 fatty acids, antioxidants, fiber, calcium, ...). Finally, I add a fruit (for example, one of these: 1 banana, 2 small apples, 1.5 c frozen strawberries, 1.5 c frozen mango chunks...)
loveAcat is offline   Reply With Quote