Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #1  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

Default Does it matter WHEN I get my protein?

I had read that it's good to take a protein supplement directly after lifting to aid muscle recovery bla bla bla.

I am finding that I'm choking my shake down. I'm just not hungry at that time.

I'd much rather blend it up with a banana after dinner. I work out in the morning.

Does it matter THAT much?

ETA: I have quite a bit of muscle mass so I'm not too concerned with growing more. I like where I'm at muscle wise... but I do need to cut some fat.

Last edited by ValRock; 02-06-2012 at 07:28 PM.
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #2  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

My brother lifts and has for several years. He told me that for the average lifter (people who aren't trying to build a lot of muscle), just eating some cottage cheese or egg whites or something within 15 minutes after lifting would do the trick.

So to answer your question, to help with your muscles, it should be within 15 minutes after you're done lifting.

But depending on how you lift (I don't know your workout, so this may not apply), you might not need the protein shake specifically. Maybe just some other high-ish protein food or drink.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 02-06-2012 at 08:29 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #3  
I can do anything!

Yeah... I don't think it matters so much where I get my protein source. I'm just on the move all day so eggs or cottage cheese aren't really feasible after my workouts. I go straight from class to the gym and then back to class.

Is the protein imperative after I lift if I'm only looking to maintain the muscle I have?
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #4  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I'm just not hungry in the evening and do most of my eating earlier in the day so I'm getting my protein then. The day after I do my heavy lifting I make sure to eat a lot of protein.

I want to start drinking more protein shakes, and there is some PB2 on the way to my house. I guess I can always save the calories for the shake and see how it goes drinking a shake afterwards.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:26 AM   #5  

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'7

The thought is that most protein only hangs around in the blood stream for a few hours after digestion and that protein intake accompanied by an insulin spike helps get the new protein into the worked muscles to get repairs started as soon as possible.
Tourny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:28 AM   #6  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm no trainer so I can only speak for myself here but I've found that many times immediately after a workout I'm not hungry either. However, if I wait to have a protein snack then I'll be STARVING later. So I eat something small (maybe just a couple of bites of cottage cheese) and then I'm fine. I don't think it has to be an entire shake but maybe just a bit of cheese or nuts?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:03 AM   #7  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

So I'm curious, how often are you lifting? If you only intend to maintain what you have achieved, you probably don't need to do that much weight training. Just lift heavy once a week, as I understand maintenance.

And if you're not lifting to build, then you don't need to feed the muscles extra protein right after. The protein will help with DOMS some, but if you're eating an adequate and balanced diet a couple hours before lifting, then you're probably fine.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:37 AM   #8  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Alright so my PB2 came the other day and I've used it to make the most delicious shakes in the world (I love peanut butter, just sayin. I love that I can throw lots of this stuff in a shake and not have a crazy amount of calories in it). While I LOVE the shakes, I just don't like drinking one late at night. It's practically a meal for me even though mine are in the 200-300 calorie range and I just don't like feeling full so close to going to bed. I have to do my workouts in the evening because I work during the day.

I do work out in the mornings on the weekends, so I'll have to try one of these following those workouts perhaps.

That said, I certainly wouldn't mind one of these instead of breakfast. I think one of these shakes keeps me fuller longer than my usual breakfasts and they're both fairly close in calories/protein.

I would love to follow the advice of drinking a protein shake immediately after a work out, but I just don't think it works into my schedule. I'll just keep doing what I'm doing in the meantime

Last edited by sontaikle; 02-09-2012 at 09:38 AM.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6

How about just drinking a glass of milk right afterwards? That's what I do and I've been building some nice muscle. Since you want to lose some fat, then choose skim milk. That's what I would do.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #10  
I can do anything!

I can't handle milk... but thanks. I've been doing ok drinking it right before bed .
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 AM   #11  

It's recommended to refuel with protein within 60 minutes of your work out.

If you're choking down your protein shake, I recommend you change the brand of shake.

We're not competing here. We're just living fit and strong. I recommend a brand - gosh, I'm not sure if I can name it! I don't work for the company or anything, it's just my two cents so sorry if this gets blocked - myoplex. They have a rather pricey pre made drink that I love love love. I go for the myoplex vanilla lite. Not the carb control. Those have something wrong with them that clumps and makes me gag. The regular lite vanilla flavor is like a melted milk shake taste and it's formulated for peeps like us.
fitness4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #12  
I can do anything!

Oh no, I like the taste of mine just fine... I just can't handle eating/drinking anything but water after I work out, for some reason. I tried the myoplex, actually, and found it wayyy too sweet.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:09 PM   #13  

A great way to have proteins after you workout is to have some whey protein milkshake it is easy and quick to make and is great for building muscle.
einszwei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:11 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

I'm not sure if this will help but admittedly I cut my protein shake in half. I just put one scoop in (with water) and 1 tbsp of peanut butter. I then drank only a few sips of it after my workout and tried to drink 1/3rd to about half within 30 minutes. After that I just drag it along with me wherever I go and sip on it randomly. It really helped to cut back on my munchies for the rest of the day. Give that a try?

Since you've already developed your muscles I really don't see why you need to stick to protein shakes directly after a workout either. You can also try some peanut butter mixed in a small pot of greek/plain yogurt. I know, sounds awful but I love the mix of tartness with sweetness! Extra protein on both but not as much as a protein shake so might be easier to choke down.
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 12:18 AM   #15  

It is normally suggested you consume some sort of ENERGY after your workouts. The reason being during this time your muscles act like a sponge and absorb everything it gets. Therefore you give it a good hit of quality carbohydrate (replenish glycogen) and some protein (normally whey as its difficult to eat whole foods after exercise)
In the supplement industry it's called the 'window of opportunity' which is highly over exaggerated, however if you can get something in within the hour it will aid in your recovery
WL Epiphany is offline   Reply With Quote