Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #1  
Started IP 02/01/2012

S/C/G: 179.6/156.4/145

Height: 5'4

Default Atkins Vs. IP

so here it is....I have been told IP is the same diet as atkins the only difference being you have to buy the food insted of making your own....is this true? what are the differences? I know they have ketosis in common but im not to firmiliar with Atkins.....
idealme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 146/131/128

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealme View Post
so here it is....I have been told IP is the same diet as atkins the only difference being you have to buy the food insted of making your own....is this true? what are the differences? I know they have ketosis in common but im not to firmiliar with Atkins.....
They are quite different actually... really the only similarity is the low-carb aspect! IP is much more strict. Atkins (from what I understand) allows a significant amount more fat than IP, and also allows fruit, sweeteners, and certain veggies that are not allowed on Ideal Protein. I am not super familiar with Atkins, but this is what I've gathered from reading about it...
lkander2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Both "founders" went to Harvard...and the "founder" of IP just stayed there a little longer to learn how to perfect the low carb diet...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #4  
Started IP 02/01/2012

S/C/G: 179.6/156.4/145

lol awesome....and lkander we are allowed sweetners on IP btw
idealme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

I was on Atkins for over 5 years and was very successful at it. I decided to stray away from it (for some dumb reason) at Thanksgiving a couple years ago. In that 2 years I gained back the 50 lbs I lost on Atkins. I lost 50 lbs on Atkins in about 5 months and kept it off for over 5 years. Before doing IP i tried to get back on Atkins and just couldn't get it started so I decided to try this more structured IP diet. As soon as I can get more control of my eating I will go back to Atkins. You eat real food, not packaged food. Atkins is a low carb diet and you get your carbs from vegetables not sugar or breads. Atkins isn't really a diet, it is a way of eating for life. IP is a diet. I can't imagine anyone wanting to live on packaged food for too long.

Here is what I am seeing as the difference:

BREAKFAST:
IP - Packet of egg OR cereal
ATKINS - 2 or 3 eggs AND 3 strips bacon OR Omelet w/ meat cheese and veggies

LUNCH:
IP - Packet of soup AND 2 cups veggies and Lettuce
ATKINS - Chicken (breast or thigh) or any non processed meat, 1 cup salad OR Tuna with mayo and celery or anything similar to this.

DINNER:
IP - Lean meat, 2 cups veggies and salad
ATKINS - Any meat (leave the fat on) 1 cup salad AND one veggies

Snacks:
IP - Packet pudding or drink
ATKINS - Cheese and celery or hard boiled or deviled eggs or sugar free jello or frozen cream cheese bites flavored with Sugar free DaVinci's Flavored syrups (I like the orange best for these)

Hope that helps to show a few differences. These are typical for the first 2 weeks on both diets. Let me know if you have questions :-)
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #6  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

Like everyone else has said, they're quite different.

If you want a low carb diet that you don't really have to keep up with anything besides how many cups of veggies a day, how many packets & how much water; then this is your diet

It's a VERY strict NO cheating diet though!
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinF View Post
I was on Atkins for over 5 years and was very successful at it. I decided to stray away from it (for some dumb reason) at Thanksgiving a couple years ago. In that 2 years I gained back the 50 lbs I lost on Atkins. I lost 50 lbs on Atkins in about 5 months and kept it off for over 5 years. Before doing IP i tried to get back on Atkins and just couldn't get it started so I decided to try this more structured IP diet. As soon as I can get more control of my eating I will go back to Atkins. You eat real food, not packaged food. Atkins is a low carb diet and you get your carbs from vegetables not sugar or breads. Atkins isn't really a diet, it is a way of eating for life. IP is a diet. I can't imagine anyone wanting to live on packaged food for too long.

Here is what I am seeing as the difference:

BREAKFAST:
IP - Packet of egg OR cereal
ATKINS - 2 or 3 eggs AND 3 strips bacon OR Omelet w/ meat cheese and veggies

LUNCH:
IP - Packet of soup AND 2 cups veggies and Lettuce
ATKINS - Chicken (breast or thigh) or any non processed meat, 1 cup salad OR Tuna with mayo and celery or anything similar to this.

DINNER:
IP - Lean meat, 2 cups veggies and salad
ATKINS - Any meat (leave the fat on) 1 cup salad AND one veggies

Snacks:
IP - Packet pudding or drink
ATKINS - Cheese and celery or hard boiled or deviled eggs or sugar free jello or frozen cream cheese bites flavored with Sugar free DaVinci's Flavored syrups (I like the orange best for these)

Hope that helps to show a few differences. These are typical for the first 2 weeks on both diets. Let me know if you have questions :-)
Karin, although more strict, would you agree IP is healthier?
zzsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 PM   #8  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

I have been on both diets and I lost a significant amount of weight on both. Unfortunately I fell of of the wagon on Atkins before I was finished loosing all of my weight, and eventually gained it all back plus more. I tried several times to get back on Atkins, but just never could. I decided to try IP because the pre-packaged food appealed to me. I find IP easier because you aren't given that many choices.

Both are low carb (20 carbs per day max), but Atkins doesn't limit your fat intake (which research is now supporting). I think Atkins is a great program, but I also love IP.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzsmom View Post
Karin, although more strict, would you agree IP is healthier?
I do not think IP is healthier than Atkins. Food that comes from a packet is not healthier than all natural food...meat, vegetables, whole grains...

I do think IP is easier to do, only for the fact that it is all planned out for you. I am sure that it is kinda healthy but I have noticed that my hair isn't as shiny and my skin feels drier and I am not as energetic as I was on Atkins. I will stick with IP for about 3 or 4 more weeks and then I should be ready to get back on Atkins, for good this time :-)
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #10  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I was on Atkins a few years ago..i was put on it by an endocrinologist..she suggested the diet...I went on it and it was great.. i love cheese and i love bacon so it worked right? Yah....no not really...the reason being: it contained high amounts of fat and that in turn gave me liver problems..my liver wasnt processing the fat very well and my kidneys were being overworked by the protein and fat i was consuming on a regular basis..so while i can say that i definitly love the idea of drinking whipping cream in my diet coke to make me feel like im having a coke float and while i do really love bacon....i could never go back to it anymore...my body can no longer handle high quantities of oils and fats and proteins.. i need something a little more balanced...but i do agree...there comes a point where living off packaged food must be done and you need to go back to your real foods.
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 AM   #11  
Started IP 10/13/11

S/C/G: 280/170/210

Height: 5' 10

Quote:
I do not think IP is healthier than Atkins. Food that comes from a packet is not healthier than all natural food...meat, vegetables, whole grains...

I do think IP is easier to do, only for the fact that it is all planned out for you. I am sure that it is kinda healthy but I have noticed that my hair isn't as shiny and my skin feels drier and I am not as energetic as I was on Atkins. I will stick with IP for about 3 or 4 more weeks and then I should be ready to get back on Atkins, for good this time :-)

I too did Atkins and lost 70 lbs but gained back plus an extra ten. I am
doing IP because I like the control and ease of food selection. I have same issue with hair and my skin is so dry and having problem finding skin lotion that helps. Hopefully, I will be able to make better food choices now that I will be going into Phrase 2 ...
Endless Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 06:15 AM   #12  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

While I admit I am not familiar with IP, Atkins is my lifestyle and has been for close to 8 years now As Zzsmom said "Atkins isn't really a diet, it is a way of eating for life". That is the key to successful & permanent weightloss.
Unfortunately, there are many misconceptions where Atkins is concerned. Many believe Atkins to be the "all you can eat butter, bacon & red meat diet"...but, no, not so. From day 1 during the Induction phase, Atkins strongly encourages veggies & salads. In fact, while doing Atkins Induction, 12-15 of your 20 carbs for the day should be coming from salads & veggies!
Another common misconception is that Induction is the only phase there is when it comes to Atkins. Not true! There are 4 phase's of the Atkins lifestyle...Induction, On Going Weightloss (OWL), Pre-Maintenance and Maintenance. While Induction is the most restrictive phase, you slowly start introducing foods back into your eating...fruits, nuts, more veggies, and even whole grains. Yes, whole grains! I'm sure this may surprise some regarding Atkins
All that said, the key is finding what works for YOU and making it a total lifesyle change. That is the key to success with ANY eating plan
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:26 AM   #13  

Height: 5'9

I, too, have done Atkins. Frankly, I love it. I found it difficult to give up certain foods (ie-junk food!) though, so I am enjoying IP right now because all the choices are made for you. I like the KISS method, don't you?

Long term I know that my diet is going to be mainly low-carb, the same way I have a friend who is vegetarian because she can't process meat. My body does NOT handle carbs (ie-rice, bread, starchy foods mainly) very well at all.

My goal with IP is to lose my weight quickly and go from there. I don't know anything about maintenance, I don't want to know about maintenance until I get there! If I like it, I'll use it. If I don't, I'll try Atkins as a long-term lifestyle. I believe I'll have greater success at it as I'm determined more than I have been before. I know it works, I know IP works, and I don't think one is better than the other. They are similar with different pros & cons, just like any diet program.

Go Atkins! Go IP!

Ylanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 213/168/130

Height: 5'5

One of the reasons I like IP vs Atkins is the quality of the proteins. With IP the protein is an isolate, meaning it is broken down and more available for the body to use. If you have a pack with 18 gms of protein, you body will use 93-97% of the available protein, thus sparing muscle. If you eat 8oz of steak, you'll only use about 20% of the protein.
Lakewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #15  

Quote:

Understood. I travel a great deal and think that Atkins is much, much easier to do when on the road with my family. It doesn't feel so much as a "diet". I am also much hungrier on IP. Curious to follow you if you do decide to transfer over to Atkins. Hope you continue to post so I can follow your success!
zzsmom is offline   Reply With Quote