South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #1  

Default Chia Seeds

What can anyone tell me about Chia Seeds? Do you use them, how do you prepare them, why do you use them? How do you eat them?

I have just been learning about this little seed, is it better than flax?
chickadeee55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #2  
weight watchers

S/C/G: 211/211/150

I am interested in this question as well. I hear alot of people eating them, and using them, but no one seems to say "how" they eat them...
ckatgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #3  
Chrisinct

S/C/G: 224/165/150

Height: 5'4

My daughter uses them in shakes/smoothies. Be careful with the amount you use though, they make everything VERY thick.
chris313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:41 AM   #4  

Height: 5'1.5"

I'm curious about these, too. It sounds like they create mucilage like flax? Is the texture similar to flax?
MissusTaterHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #5  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Here is what I found about it on Dr. Weil's website:

Chia is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seeds. And it has another advantage over flax: chia is so rich in antioxidants that the seeds don't deteriorate and can be stored for long periods without becoming rancid. And, unlike flax, they do not have to be ground to make their nutrients available to the body. Chia seeds also provide fiber (25 grams give you 6.9 grams of fiber) as well as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc.

Another advantage: when added to water and allowed to sit for 30 minutes, chia forms a gel. Researchers suggest that this reaction also takes place in the stomach, slowing the process by which digestive enzymes break down carbohydrates and convert them into sugar.

Chia has a nutlike flavor. You can mix seeds in water and add lime or lemon juice and sugar to make a drink known in Mexico and Central America as "chia fresca." As with ground flax seeds, you can sprinkle ground or whole chia seeds on cereal, in yogurt or salads, eat them as a snack, or grind them and mix them with flour when making muffins or other baked goods. I find them tasty and an interesting addition to my diet.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #6  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

We have had several threads about chia, I'll go look for them. I love,love, love my chia seeds. I use the whole seeds to make chia pudding and in smoothies (only 1T at a time in smoothies) and I use ground almost every day in my morning omelet. It doesn't add flavor but really keeps me full all morning. Along with all the other benefits (omega 3s!) it's great for keeping everything moving.

Okay, let's see if I can post the search results link
Hope this helps

Last edited by CyndiM; 02-04-2012 at 09:28 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:51 AM   #7  

Height: 5'1.5"

I love to use flax seeds but I'm not crazy about that "seed snot." The chai pudding looks intriguing though. Like one of the comments said, they look like frog eggs. That's not really a bad thing, I think they're kind of cute. Chai pudding, seems reminiscent of milky boba tea. Or rice pudding. This may be worth a try.
MissusTaterHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 AM   #8  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I miss pudding more than almost anything else so I was very excited to discover chia pudding. I make pumpkin and apple a lot but have yet to try the chocolate. I guess it's like tapioca but I've never tried tapioca so can't say for sure
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #9  

Thank you for the pudding recipe, I will try this for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
We have had several threads about chia, I'll go look for them. I love,love, love my chia seeds. I use the whole seeds to make chia pudding and in smoothies (only 1T at a time in smoothies) and I use ground almost every day in my morning omelet. It doesn't add flavor but really keeps me full all morning. Along with all the other benefits (omega 3s!) it's great for keeping everything moving.

Okay, let's see if I can post the search results link
Hope this helps
Old 02-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #10  

Sounds like these little seeds are a powerhouse. Thanks for this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
Here is what I found about it on Dr. Weil's website:

Chia is very rich in omega-3 fatty acids, even more so than flax seeds. And it has another advantage over flax: chia is so rich in antioxidants that the seeds don't deteriorate and can be stored for long periods without becoming rancid. And, unlike flax, they do not have to be ground to make their nutrients available to the body. Chia seeds also provide fiber (25 grams give you 6.9 grams of fiber) as well as calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, molybdenum, niacin, and zinc.

Another advantage: when added to water and allowed to sit for 30 minutes, chia forms a gel. Researchers suggest that this reaction also takes place in the stomach, slowing the process by which digestive enzymes break down carbohydrates and convert them into sugar.

Chia has a nutlike flavor. You can mix seeds in water and add lime or lemon juice and sugar to make a drink known in Mexico and Central America as "chia fresca." As with ground flax seeds, you can sprinkle ground or whole chia seeds on cereal, in yogurt or salads, eat them as a snack, or grind them and mix them with flour when making muffins or other baked goods. I find them tasty and an interesting addition to my diet.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:09 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

I always add a tablespoon or so of chia to my overnight oats, and that breakfast sticks with me and keeps me going well up to lunchtime. I always add them to my Green Monster smoothies when I make them, too.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #12  
Super Duper Senior Member

S/C/G: 289/T/190

Height: 5' 7.5"

I add them to smoothies mostly but never let them sit - I am not a fan of the gelatinous stuff it becomes (I prefer flossing them out of my teeth, lol).
jenne1017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #13  
SanityNow

Chia seeds are good! I find they have a bit of a taste but it's not bad. I keep them in the fridge, and add about a tablespoon to yogurt, or to smoothies; sometimes I add them to scrambled eggs. Chia seeds have lots of fiber and protein. They're worth trying out. I also like flax, but was out of flax and tried chia. Hemp seed is worth looking into, too. I'll probably be cycling the 3 in my diet. Enjoy !
Old 02-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #14  

S/C/G: maintaining

Here's another thread about them. I got my husband into them when I first read about them on hear ages ago. He adds them to his oatmeal. I've had them in yogurt or smoothies but haven't caught the bug. I follow a few bloggers who eat them right off the spoon for the nutritional value!
WaistingTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #15  
Getting back into it

S/C/G: 170/ticker/120

Height: 5'2"

Chia seeds are also good sprouted for salads and sandwiches -- just don't sprout them on that old Chia pet you have in the closet. Chia seed can be stored for a long time (unlike flax) and don't have to be ground to get to the nutrients (like flax).

They also slow down the absorbtion of carbs, so slow down your appetite - they help fill you up. And, as everyone has mentioned, they act as a thickener.

Flax seeds are oily with hard outer shells, so it's best to grind them up or whir them up when you use them. Otherwise, they go right through without much time to pass on the nutrients they hold.
smarkey is offline   Reply With Quote