Beck Diet Solution A step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life.

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:12 AM   #1  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Beck Diet For Life/Solution – February 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

Welcome to the discussion group, support group, diet coach group, diet buddy group relating to the two books by Dr. Judith S. Beck:and the first bookThe Beck Diet Solution is a psychological program, not a food plan. It provides a step-by-step program to learn specific techniques to stay on our diet, lose weight, and maintain our weight loss for life. The program is based on Dr. Beck's clinical research in Cognitive Therapy (CT).

The Complete Beck Diet for Life expands the earlier work and includes a food plan with suggested menus. From the cover:
With The Complete Beck Diet for Life you'll discover the 5 stages of successful dieting and maintenance. You'll learn how to motivate yourself, give yourself credit for every change you make, create time and energy for dieting, and handle hunger and cravings. Dr. Beck eases you into changing one step at a time. You'll master one task before moving on to the next. And you'll learn techniques to deal with challenging situations, such as sticking with ou plan at celebrations and dealing with "food pushers." With Dr. Beck's skills, you'll achieve a lifetime of healthful eating and lifelong motivation.
This is a place to discuss the Beck strategies and our daily efforts, to receive and provide support, and, for some of us, is where we serve as on-line diet buddy (coach) to each other.

If you’ve arrived from a search engine, you’ve landed at the site of 3 Fat Chicks (3FC), a remarkable place for those interested in a healthy life style, including mindful eating, exercise, and weight loss. More about the site, including how to register so that you can post, can be found here.

The books are available on Amazon through the 3FC store by clicking their names above; buying through 3FC helps to cover the costs of running this site.

You can find the list of previous (or more current) monthly Beck threads here on 3 Fat Chicks via:

List of Monthly Beck Threads for Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach
Old 02-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #2  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Wednesday

Diet Coaches/Buddies - Close to on plan, CREDIT moi; it's still the evening snack that's my challenge. In the afternoon, when I wanted trail mix that wasn't on plan, I took a glass of water instead. That worked.

I saw trees trying to bud on my long walk (CREDIT moi). The warm temperature is messing with their heads; hopefully this won't hurt them when real Spring arrives.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for making your January exercise goal - overcoming a slow start instead of giving up.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Kudos for such clarity that you didn't allow the frustration of your reality to derail your eating plan. Speaking of Alaska, do you miss their current -65 degrees F temperatures?

Beverlyjoy – Twelve hours is a long day; hope things are going well.

FutureFitChick – I hate time wasters who impose on my life, but Double Hate the time wasters that I insert all by myself. Kudos for continuing to leave a bite on your plate.

maryann - One more time I salute those of you who face heaps of 13 year olds day after day and stay the course. Love the thought that fairness should burn calories.

Tazzy - Congrats on nine pair of pants hemmed and ready to wear. Do you have the clothes for all four of you ready for the cruise?

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What
resistance technique 10
Do a positive fast-forward.
Imagine, in detail, how you will feel 10 minutes after resisting the unplanned food. Visualize how you will feel: Strong and in control? Proud of yourself? Hopeful that you will get to your goal? Delighted that you exercised your resistance muscle? See yourself tomorrow morning when you get on the scale. Think about how good you will feel that you didn't give in. Once you see the entire picture, ask yourself, Which seems better: eating or not eating unplanned food?

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 101.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:05 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi friends... checking in while I have a chance. My stepmom is doing as well as can be expected...They might let her go home today. It amazes me how they can do a shoulder replacement on a 86 year old and send her home in 48 hours. But - it's up to the doctor of course.

My cousin is here and we will have a 'changing of the guards' so to speak. She'll stay with DSM for a few days. Then my other cousin in coming in from out of town for a few days. And then... I will come back.

My food has been good. I've been taking healthy food to the hospital. Wonderfully, this is new hospital with strict standards of healthy food in the cafeteria and even the vending machine. The vending machines have different kinds pretzels, baked chips, nuts, trail mix etc. NO candy at all. The 'sweetest' things in the vending machine are Rice Krispie treats, animal crackers, and all fruit 'roll up' treats. No pop in the pop machines, either. Amen!

I'll be heading home later today.

I'll check in later, if I can.

Have a GREAT day.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 02-01-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #4  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Yesterday my planned meals were great and my urge to snack could have benefited from more resistance. I'm liking my new daily routines and have already checked many items off my list, including weighing and 5 daily minutes on my rebounder. I'm finding my new "roadmap" is helping me to think about things which sometimes don't happen otherwise.

Dr. Beck suggests on p 168 of the green book that a lifetime exercise plan include 2 weight training sessions, 30 min. of exercise/day and increasing spontaneous exercise. My goal this week is 30 min per day on not including my 2-4 mile work days, spontaneous exercise and 1 weight training session. I have been resisting the weight training and may try and schedule a session at a nice rec center. I used to lift weights with DH but he turned into a military style coach and I developed a resentment. I need to work through that.

BillBlueEyes, yay for continued walks and drinks of water instead of trail mix.

Beverlyjoy, glad to hear your stepmom is recovering nicely and that you're sticking with your plan. Kudos for hospitals w/o junk!

DH just arrived....must go.... everyone else!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 173/178/ 165

Height: 5'6

Good Morning, Coaches. On plan except for some bite size chocolate foraging at school. Tracked food for today. Credit exercise yesterday and plan for walk today. My stomach hasn't been feeling great - maybe adjusting to a ton more veggies with WW. Weigh in is tomorrow. It is just a number. It is just a number. It is just a number.
In honor of the new month I have started Project 333. It is about decluttering your life starting with the wardrobe. You are supposed to select 33 items of clothing - jewelry, shoe, bags, scarves all count then box up everything else you have and live on the 33 for 3 months. Then you re-evaluate, switch out for the season and donate what you didn't wear. I must tell you I did not get down to 33 but I am close. Half my wardrobe is in a second closet and I am not going into it until May. I have made a New Year's resolution for no more clothes this year. This helps me to see I have more than I need of everything.
I have also attacked several household closets which are looking in pretty good shape. One big one left.
Simple is best. I don't need more than I need. That goes for food as well.
Hey to all.

Last edited by maryann; 02-01-2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:21 PM   #6  
Simply Filling Technique

Thumbs up Welcome to the Month of Love

Hello everyone! I am so glad January is over. It just seems to me to be a "do nothing (good)" month to me. The skies are overcast, it is cold, damp and rainy here and I just plain want to spend more time in bed burrowed under the covers. Now, I understand why Punxsutawney Phil (I had to look up the correct spelling of that PA town) has to be coaxed out of his hole. Let's hope he predicts less winter and an early spring.

Bill Good Job in resisting your all time favorite trail mix with a glass of water.

gardenerjoy – Major Credit on meeting your January goal. Sometimes, you just have to slug through it to get where you want to go.

Lexxiss – Major Credit on keeping your focus amidst potential life interruptions that want otherwise.

Beverlyjoy – Great to hear that your DSM is doing well and that there is pitch relief in sight as well.

FFC – Great to hear that you are tackling that small but significant task of leaving "just one" behind for the garbage and/or the dog.

maryann - Love the idea of 333. I have had long deep discussions about the place that "stuff" should take in our lives. This has been a slow evolution over the past couple of years but as I lose weight, I am finding that I need less. I wonder if there is a correlation?

Tazzy - Counting the days until your cruise?

Credit: 8 days in a row of OP eating. It does get much much easier.

Speaking of exercise, Lexxiss, today I have my other group I lead preparing for a walking challenge which will start February 16th with "Warm Ups". Using a deck of cards, you deal yourself 5 cards. Using a numbering system of 2-10 you add up the cards and that is how many reps you do of either marching in place or lunges. If you get one Heart in your hand, you double the number of reps. If you get 2 Hearts in your hand, you automatically do 100 marches/lunges and 100 ab crunches. I got a lot of Hearts so I will be needing to do 500 marches or lunges and 500 ab crunches today. I am going to hear about this!

Don't forget to measure yourself before you start, Lexxiss, because you will really enjoy seeing the tape measure a month from now. I never thought about doing something like that until one of the leader's of one of the other groups I belonged to had us do that. I am so glad I did. When the scale doesn't move, you still are losing. Even when I took a "leave of absence" from exercising during my RA flare-ups, I still was losing inches! Go figure.

BTW, I also credit myself with exercising my Resistance Muscle a lot and, hopefully, showing others how to as well.

Have a great day!

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 02-01-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #7  

Yesterday I suffered from horrible cravings all day but managed to stay with my written food plan.I am particularly proud (big credit) of not eating after dinner while watching tv. I must say that as many times as I tell myself to do something other than watch tv in the evening (which normally causes me to want to eat), I am so emotionally drained that I succumb. I was rewarded with a 1.2 lb loss this morning and now I'm only 2 lbs away from getting that charm (again--this time I hope it sticks!)

Today I've eaten my breakfast, lunch, and afternoon snacks, but it's only 2 pm and I'm uncertain whether I can hold out till after 6 (I have an appt for a pedicure at 6). It may seem self indulgent to be getting pedicures while my Mom is in the hospital, but I've had this appt for a long time and I am trying very hard to take care of myself, which I didn't do the last time she was in the hospital which resulted in a weight gain.

BBE I too am challenged by the evening snack (see above)

Beverlyjoy: I am encouraged that someone else is doing the hospital duty and staying on plan. Credit you!

Lexxiss: persist in your quest to find a weight lifting program. It makes an enormous difference.

Maryann: project 333 sounds intriguing...I badly need to declutter and was slowly doing so when my mom got sick.

Pam: Great job on the 8 days!
Old 02-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #8  
Fighting Piano Butt!

S/C/G: 220/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Coaches -
Just finished Week 2 Day 2 of C25K. It feels good and I am not, repeat, not ruining this feeling with extra snacks tonight. No no no. The end.

This week has been much less crazy than the last few and I'm very grateful for that. A little downtime is a good thing. More practice time = also a good thing. More time to miss my cat = maybe not such a good thing, but I hope we will have a new kitten in a few months and that will help.

maplover - big kudos for getting back on track even as you're dealing with the stress of your mom's illness!!

FFC - glad you had a good day yesterday - you deserve it!

gardenerjoy - yay for a new doable video series! Kudos for overshooting your exercise goal.

BBE - I hear you on the evening snacks, which have been doing me in the past couple of nights. Not tonight though!!

Debbie (Lexxiss) - (((hugs))) as you deal with a dizzying schedule. Great job getting organized with the calendar. I'd be lost without my google calendar. Great job also working on your Beck Plan for Life!

maryann - you really are experiencing the sandwich generation right now! I know it will be coming soon for me as my parents get older (mom turned 70 yesterday). LOL at "I wish fairness would burn more calories"! Good luck with the weighin tomorrow.

Tazzy - well done on all the hemming - that's one of those tasks I can leave hanging (literally, LOL) for months! I know what you mean about feeling peckish - so annoying and tempting.

Beverlyjoy - well done keeping on track during these very very long hospital days! Sending good thoughts for your stepmom's potential return home.

pamatga - cool idea about the walking challenge and Heart cards! You are really creative in coming up with activities for your group.

Happy February all!
Erika
Old 02-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #9  
Green Tomatoes

This is the first time I've had a 100% day in awhile. It feels good. I should try that more often!

WI: +0.2 kgs, Exercise:+70 70/1300 minutes for January, Food: 100%op, Read my Advantages and Responses: yes

Lexxiss: you might like a more feminine approach to strength training. I like my Ellen Barrett DVDs for that. I have Fat Burning Fusion and Skinny Sculpt and will probably get more in the future. I buy her videos at Collage Videos because they put clips of the videos on line so you can check if you can stand the instructor's voice and music choices before you purchase: http://www.collagevideo.com/exercise...ise-videos-148. I know they work because I can feel my muscles after I've done one of those workouts!
Old 02-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #10  

I am truly disgusted. I have gained back the 2+ lbs overnight. All I did was have one turkey and cheese sandwich on a wrap for dinner rather than the dinner I had planned because I made the mistake of going to my pedicure without eating first and was too starved to cook.....aargh. I am close to quitting.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #11  
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Thursday - Groundhog Day

Diet Coaches/Buddies - A mediocre day, but moving on to have a better day today. I missed gym because I worked with a carpenter all day with some finishing up tasks, including getting a four inch hole drilled out the foundation of my house for the vent to exhaust the new bathroom. CREDIT moi for doing that which needed to be done.

Exercise was moving a bunch of furniture so that he can do some small jobs inside. I did enjoy noticing that I traveled the stairs from floor to floor more often than I did before I started my journey - I welcome the excuse to go to the basement for some item. Before, I'd leave stuff by the basement door until I accumulated enough to make the trip worthwhile.

Joy (gardenerjoy) – Kudos for 100%. DW is pleased that she covered her gardens with leaf mulch since we've had little snow cover.

Erika (eusebius) – Love it, "Not tonight though!!" I'll steal that for myself tonight.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Neat that your "roadmap" is working for you.

Beverlyjoy – Glad to hear that your step mom is doing well. Yay for a hospital with healthy food standards - so often hear the opposite.

Pam (pamaga) – 500 lunges is a huge amount - hope you make it out with your muscles still working.

maryann - Project 333 sounds like such an eye opener to help prune the wardrobe. Myself, male here, would find it difficult to get up to 33 items unless I counted each sock, LOL.

maplover – Yes, take care of yourself - particularly with your mom in the hospital you need all the positive support you can muster. Kudos for an evening on plan.

Readers -
Quote:
chapter 4 Stage 1 The Success Skills Plan
Success Skill 8 Follow Your Plan, No Matter What
resistance technique 11
Distract yourself.
This will help you wait out the urge to eat. Get out the Distractions Box you created in Chapter 3 (pages 39-40). First, start the activity that you think will be most distracting. If you finish it and the urge to eat has not gone away, try a second activity and so on. Remember that watching TV and reading are often not distracting enough (especially if you are used to eating while engaging in these activities), listening to music helps some people but not others.

When you contact your Diet Buddy from now on, report on which techniques helped the most.

Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 102.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #12  
Green Tomatoes

maplover: don't quit! The kind of turkey and cheese that goes in a wrap has more salt than you would imagine. Shoot, the wrap itself probably does, too. Drink lots of water, stick to your plan, read some in your Beck book. That two pounds will be gone in no time. It's not what happens overnight that matters, it's what happens over the next two years.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #13  

Gardenerjoy: thx for the supportive feedback. You are right of course, and also of course, there was a boatload of salt in that meal. And more in the other things I ate yesterday. I think I should pay more attention to the sodium content of my meals (I do track them pretty closely).

it is just discouraging not to be losing more weight more quickly and in particular to be working so hard to just tread water. Waking up at 3 and not being able to go back to sleep does not help. Sigh. Maybe I should work toward giving up caffeine again (does not seem to stick with me).
Old 02-02-2012, 06:33 PM   #14  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

GE everyone! I have actually been around on this site for the past two hours but one of the title's of another group's thread caught my eye and before you know it I was reading that and other ones as well.

map lover I ditto what the others have said. All food made elsewhere always has more sodium in it. We ate out last night at Applebee's and since I weigh every day (then record it) I expected a 2 lb increase, which happened, and didn't give it a second thought. It will be gone by tomorrow so I don't fret about it. Like gardenerjoy said it is what matters week to week, month to month not day to day. If you have either of the books, Dr. Beck covers this in one or more chapters.

Bill WTG with the subtle but important changes in stairs climbing. I have often said that when I was heavier I was so much more efficient with my body movements. Now, it pays to retrace your steps--after all it is just that ---more steps and more movement.

I don't know about the rest of you but I plan an evening snack every night. Period. I am following the recommended BLC food plan as my first choice which does have you eating 3 meals and 3 snacks. I find it hard to get in 3 snacks but I can get in 2 quite easily. Last year I flip flopped back and forth on this issue on my own but now that I am using that as the base food plan for this Buddy Challenge I am hosting, I feel it is important that I am "walking the walk". It seems to work. It is not necessarily that I "look forward to" that evening snack but simply that it is there as part of my food plan. Pre-planning helps with this a lot. The main advantage I see coming from doing this is that my blood sugar never really gets so low that I start grabbing at the first thing that crosses my path; something that I used to do when I would undereat throughout the day and come home with a sick headache and a growling stomach. I now deem that "condition" as a slippery slope as well.

Credit: I have had 10 days of OP eating and I see no reason why tomorrow won't be the same. I am finding the "secret" for me in staying OP is avoiding any sugar. Period. No sugar and no cravings. End of story.

Credit: I am more than okay with sitting for hours feeling empty and hungry. I am just liking what I see on the scales the next morning to do anything different otherwise. Lots of cold, cold water and/or flavored teas really help as well.

Bill The 500 lunges was only if a person got 5 hands with 2 or more Hearts. The choice was also either that or 500 marching in place. I chose to do a "split combo". I heard about this. One woman, who has such a "Can Do" attitude, did these in spite of having major surgery two weeks ago. She is such a trooper. She doesn't know this but I am voting a BL t-shirt for her based on her "fantastic attitude, team spirit and overall just being a great gal". Nothing I throw her way makes her winch. One in a million!

I have the group doing upper body warm ups today. One of the exercises I created was to take a pile of paired socks (in a ball) put an even pile at either foot, set an empty laundry basket about 3-4 feet in front of them and then crossing over they pick up one "ball" with the opposite hand, come to their full height and toss the ball in the basket. After the first warm up, time themselves.

Yes, erika, I do have fun with this although now I have to put a legal disclaimer on the bottom of the workouts I hand out because someone from a past challenge was touting it as her own. It is sad. I am not getting paid for this. I am just doing it so I can share with others, be accountable myself and have some fun while doing so. "Oh, well".

Take care everyone else!

Pam

Last edited by pamatga; 02-02-2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:12 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi Beckfolks/coaches/friends... It's good to be home. My dear stepmom is doing well. I was exhausted today and couldn't figure out why... knock knock who's there? - it's the hospital stuff.

I've been able to stay with my plan. I've planned/measured/logged food, lots of water, stretches & strengthening, ate seated only, no seconds, read arc/rc/beck, and more. I really wanted to eat the bean soup and corn bread DH was eating. I used my resistance techniques to walk away. I am grateful.

I weighed today and have lost two pounds from last week. Now my next mini goal is 199... that's exciting. So glad to be losing and working my program.

I hope you are all doing well. Thanks for your support, kindness and wisdom.
Closed Thread