Old 01-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4"

Default Simply Filling/Core Weekly Chat: Jan 30- Feb 5

Well since I am up at 1:30 I will start our weekly chat this week .
See ..the early bird doesn't always get the worm, sometimes the night owl gets it

I am still at the hospice with my Aunt. We have been told that she is very near
the end of her "journey" as they call it. She is peaceful right now and my cousin is doing pretty well as long as she seems out of pain. We are all very edgy to the point of being funny. We will look at each other and ask "do you really need to chew that loud" or something similar..

Just got a note that I officially have osteoporosis ..My aunt began this hospital admission with 2 fractured hips so that is depressing news to get right now.
I have been lax about all my medicines including my calcium. I plan to get better about them & my Dr wants to talk to me about the bone building drug
soon.
nancy237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #2  

Morning chicks.

Nancy, prayers for your family. I remember all too well when my dad died. Thank goodness he was home with us.

I have not taken my calcium in over a year. One bone density showed osteopenia, so I was adamant about my calcium and then next bone test was normal. Then I got lazy and I'm due for another test this year and I know it can't be good. I remember my first bone density, I had osteopenia back in my 50's. I took fosomax for a couple years.

I have done a little research on Adkins diet. I just can't get myself to eat bacon, etc. I guess I need to buy the book to better understand it. I know I did it in the 90's when I first started putting on weight, and I last 4 days and had to stop. I missed my veggies, fruits. I know the program has changed since back then.

Maryann, give me a typical days menu when you are low carbing.

Sandra, hope your eye is getting better.
pam920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:33 AM   #3  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

Up early,because I'm waiting for the dentist to call and see if He can take me in,as a emergency patient.My lower partial dentures fell out.Hope he will be able to cement them back in. Hear comes the unexpected dental bills,I really can't afford. Otherwise nothings new.

NANCY-Thanks for the weeks new pages,sorry you had a bad night sleep. I'm having that problem also,after I wake up in the middle of the night I start thinking of all the things I done during the day and than sleep disappears.

I know what you & your cousin are going though,I agree if its near the end its so important to keep them comfortable. I have the BIG O,and no one in my immediate family has it. I take the genetic of Fosamax called Alendrontate. Lucky, I'm taking that as my father had a a disease called Padget's making the bones brittle and hitting the nerves. According to my doctor the meds I'm taking prevent that disease.

Have a great day
beach bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

OK, Chickies, do what is good for YOU! Got that Take that calcium and do weight-bearing exercises.

Pam, let me encourage you to look at the DASH diet on line. There are also books available. It is so- easy and you won't have to eat bacon and you can all the fruit and veggies you want.

My weight went up over the holidays and on the 1st of January I started following the DASH diet. The doctor's scale said I weighed 190; mine said 188. This morning I weighed 183 at home. I have not increased my exercise, in fact, I did less for about 10 days when my tooth was really bothering me.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM   #5  

Here is an interesting article:

http://health.msn.com/healthy-living...ou-live-to-100
Old 01-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #6  
beachbum

RHONDA=Thanks for the website I bookmarked it and will read it later.

PAM=This is what i did one day as I vary every day.

BREAKFAST=[355/19]
1c Cottage cheese[100/14]
1TB Fruit Spread[10/5]
2 sl Bacon[70/0]
1c Almond Milk for tea or coffee[40/1]

DINNER=[295/22]
1/2 Ham steak[70/0]
1c mashed potatoes[160/17]
1c green bean[20/2]
4 0z Low carb yogurt[45/3]

SUPPER=[535/8]
Hamburger patty[230/0]
1sl onion[5/1]
Low carb tortilla[70/5]
Atkins Chocolate Shake[160/2]

TOTAL calories for day[1085] TOTAL carbs for the day [49]

Hope that helps

Going to start my Dinner have a great day
Old 01-30-2012, 01:59 PM   #7  
Southside White Sox Fan

Good Morning Chicks! Love you all. I've been taking a few moments to read here and there but I've been crazy busy and a bit worried about myself in there too. Still trying to get these foot with the double heel spurs to a point where I can walk again. During PT my calf came up sore, swollen in one spot and the PT and the Podiatrist got nervous that it was a blood clot and sent me to a Cardiologist for a vein ultrasound. Long story short....no clot. They think it's a strain/sprain....maybe the achilles. Not sure where we go from here. I see the Podiatrist again on Wednesday. Sheesh.

I see the stuffings are falling out of all of us a little bit!!! Sandra, what happened to your eye?

Nancy, I'm so sorry about your Aunt. We had my Mom in hospice at the end and it was such a kind gentle gift I felt we gave to her. I was confident that there was nothing I could do to save her so we left her go on her terms when she was ready, without pain. You, too along with your cousin, have done a huge kindness for your Aunt.

Rhonda, you have me VERY interested in this dash diet. I will definitely read up on it. If I decide to do it, though, I'm staying right here to try it.

Mary Ann, I know it doesn't make sense to take advice from a woman who has to lose 100 pounds still, but I don't think you are eating enough food. I don't think it's ever wise to go under 1200. I think you might be putting your body into starvation mode.

Pam and Nancy, that's scary about the osteo stuff! I've had great bone scans but I don't think this next one is going to be so good. I haven't been doing much weight bearing. My Doc says walking is one of the best weight bearing exercises you can do. What do you think, Rhonda?

Did we lose Sloan?

Gotta run. I had lunch with two friends from high school on Saturday and yesterday we went to a dinner with the former White Sox organist where she was performing. We had a grand time but now I need to spend the day doing laundry and I slept late.

It was also 5 years since I lost my best friend, Cindy, this past Thursday. Can you all believe it's been 5 years? I remember posting here about her battle. I still miss her every day. In case you didn't see it on my FB page, I found a tribute for her. It's a video of the original cast members from Wicked performing the song that was the goodbye between Elphaba (the Wicked Witch) and Glynda. If you feel like listening, turn up your volume. The lyrics are there as well because they are beautiful. In case you are wondering.....I'm definitely Elphaba! ;-D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzrGFQysfYU
Vickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:43 AM   #8  

Good morning:

Vickie, I'm glad you didn't have a clot, but my goodness that heel spur issue is going on for a while. I assume the health people gave you exercises to do for it, and that you are doing them!?

I remember your loss of your good friend--thanks for the link, very touching.

Mayann, I agree with Vickie about the number of calories. Every site I've read that is health-related says that below 1200 is too low, if done daily. It won't kill us if done every now and again.

Nancy, I also agree with Vickie that you have given your aunt a great gift. Feel the peace of that.

I saw The Iron Lady yesterday, and that Meryl Streep is phenomenal. I'm no fan of Maggie Thatcher, but it was a good story with great acting.

I've got a very busy day today--tap dancing, volunteering, etc....talk to you later.
I hope you each have a great day.

Last edited by Tejas; 01-31-2012 at 07:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:09 AM   #9  

good morning.

Rhonda, I'll have to buy the book because it was confusing to me about the DASH diet online. That is why I asked what you were eating. I"ll do another search. I need to do something. I'm back up 2 lbs and we continue to walk twice a day. We walk as fast as my heart will let me. I get short of breath is we go super fast. I think we are doing at least 3 mph and I would like to go faster, but then I get short of breath.

Maryann, I thought your menu was too low on calories. I don't like cottage cheese, so I could substitute eggs. I'm more an oatmeatl for breakfast kind of girl. Guess that is out on the Adkins diet.

Vickie, I have plantar fasciitis too. My heels have been bothering me lately when we walk. I hope you can get some relief soon.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:53 AM   #10  

Here's a sample of the DASH diet plan--on-line:

http://dashdiet.org/sample_menu.asp
Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #11  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

My sister woke me up this morning by accident she thought she was calling her, DH. Good thing she did, I would have over slept.

Was excepting to see a wintry mix when I woke up but the sun is shining so I guess the mix didn't hit us.

Quote:
Mary Ann, I know it doesn't make sense to take advice from a woman who has to lose 100 pounds still, but I don't think you are eating enough food. I don't think it's ever wise to go under 1200. I think you might be putting your body into starvation mode.
VICKIE- I agree with you,about the calorie count.That was one day the other I usually up 1200 and over,but I must keep my carb low in order to lose my fat around my tummy that is causes the my A1C to be up I don't want to be a diabetic.

Quote:
Mayann, I agree with Vickie about the number of calories. Every site I've read that is health-related says that below 1200 is too low, if done daily. It won't kill us if done every now and again.
RHONDA-I agree that was one day I should have posted my higher calorie days. Looked at your dash diet but its not low carb.and that where I have to bee until I get my #'s down. We be checked again in March.

Quote:
Maryann, I thought your menu was too low on calories. I don't like cottage cheese, so I could substitute eggs. I'm more an oatmeat l for breakfast kind of girl. Guess that is out on the Adkins diet.
PAM-The cottage cheese was one day I not really a lover of CC I use ricotta instead but it was on sale so I bought it. I'm not on Atkins I just use there products for snacks like shakes or choc PB bars.

Hope you have a great day
Old 01-31-2012, 12:30 PM   #12  

Maryann, the DASH diet can easily be made low carb, and it is definitely good carb--but you're probably happy with what you're doing.

I'm not happy with my MD who still wants me to go on a statin and bp meds. My BP is running about 150/88, but it is much lower than that often. That's a bit high, but I'm not convinced it's high enough to warrant meds. But, I told him I'd take his drugs for 3 months and see what I can do with diet and more cardio, then, if I lose more weight, I'm going off of them. I didn't tell him but the nutritionist I went to see, at his suggestion, said it could all be done with diet/exercise.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #13  
focused and aiming

Hi there. I've been running in circles the last 2 days but am now getting to slow down. I am back "on the wagon" as of yesterday morning.

Maryann, did you get help with your bridge? I hope they could glue it. I had to get a new one. It cost about $5000. (We're not going to Louisville this year cuz of it.)

Nancy, you all have given your aunt a wonderful blessing. I'm sorry you have the big O. Do what you need to do.

Rhonda, my weight is up, too. I'm weighing in the morning and am afraid I will weigh more than I did first of January. Life goes on.

Vickie, I hear ya on foot problems. I hope you can soon get some relief. Have you considered surgery? I have had several spurs removed, but my podiatrist said he's through chasing them as I have too many.

I'm back doing old CORE. Made a big pot of ham/pinto beans. Now tomorrow I KNOW we will go to CHICKEN EXPRESS for lunch with friends. I'm thinking of taking some ham and just buying some green beans. I've done stuff like that before. It doesn't bother me at all. I tell myself I'm there for the comaraderie--not the food.

Pam, are you feeling all right? How's your heart?

Got to close for now. I'll be back tomorrow. Ya'll have a good evening.
ontarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:46 AM   #14  
beachbum

Good Morning Ladies

Thought I post here before I go to the dentist.Nothing new,The day is cloudy and we are getting a little rain.

RHONDA-Have to look at the diet again to see if I can make it a low carbs. I'm not on any diet just counting calories & carbs. and following some of the principles of Atkins & CAD. That's the reason I want to go low carbing w / exercising to bring my A1C #'s down before I'm a full fledged diabetic.

SANDRA- We made a big mistake when we got off of Leo dental plan and went on mine. After I retired the company took us off but Leo being in the union our coverage would have lasted even if Leo passed away .I would still get his coverage. Now I have to pay up front and if this bridge can't be glued back I will be paying for another as its in the back of my mouth and I need them to chew. Maybe I will be able to pay it off in time.

Have to get ready for my appointment,will come back later that tell you guys the results of my visit.

Last edited by beach bum; 02-01-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #15  

good morning chics.

Sandra, we have so many obstacles in our life. It's so hard to shed these pounds. I'm fine, thanks for asking. Sorry you will miss Louisville this year. I know you love going there. My husband loves his pintos too. I prefer mixed pinto and great northern.

Maryann, hope they can glue your bridge. These medical bills can get out of control, even with insurance.

Rhonda, a big congratulations on losing in January. You are doing something right. I told my hubby today, we need to eat more veggies. I miss my veggies. He said we can make fajitas. I told him onions and peppers are not what I would call veggies. I want pea pods, carrots, mushrooms, squash, zucchini. The good stuff.

Today is my husbands birthday and Friday is our anny. We decided to go to Outback. Not sure if today or friday. There goes the diet, again.

Nancy, hope your aunt is resting peacefully. As long as they can keep the pain at bay, that is a good thing.

Vickie, yes, times go by so fast. My dad passed in 2005 and it seems like yesterday. I cherish the memories. That's all we can do.