Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #1  

Height: 5 9`

Default Allergies to sea salt

my mom is also doing this diet to me and she is allergic to sea food, and she has a rash after using sea salt, what can she do..does she have to use the sea salt?..she has only been on ip, for 4 days now...help
susyqxxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/153/155

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by susyqxxxx View Post
my mom is also doing this diet to me and she is allergic to sea food, and she has a rash after using sea salt, what can she do..does she have to use the sea salt?..she has only been on ip, for 4 days now...help
I think that I read here that Himalayan crystal salt is okay to use. You can find it in most health food stores.
ipsbest4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:31 AM   #3  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
I, too, have a very strong reaction to shell fish and use sea salt every day. Here's what LIVESTRONG.COM has to say:

"If you're allergic to shellfish you can eat sea salt. Sea salt is made from ocean water and does not contain any proteins from shellfish. In rare instances, if sea salt is manufactured in a factory that shares equipment for making sea salt and shellfish, cross-contamination may occur. Some people with a shellfish allergy cannot be exposed to the smallest amount of shellfish, including touching them or being in the room where they're being boiled. If you have further concerns while using sea salt, call your doctor.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/401309-can-people-with-shellfish-allergies-eat-sea-salt/#ixzz1l7KaRuJ5"

I'm not saying that you're interpretation is wrong, but your mother might consider trying a different sea salt -- Sel de mer, Himalayan -- to make sure it isn't something else she's allergic to, like soy.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 185.5/171.5/150

Height: 5'2 1/2

Can anyone give me a sound reason as to why sea salt vs regular salt? My coach said any salt will do and I did some research and found no difference. All salt, whether labeled table salt or sea salt, comes from a salted body of water—namely, an ocean or salt-water lake. Some salt makers use water or deposits from today’s oceans; others use deposits evaporated from oceans in previous geological eras. Just seems like they are trying to sell product.

Check this link out for more. http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/08/12...alt-the-truth/
Lilmink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:52 AM   #5  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

I would just suggest what YOU feel comfortable with if you don't think sea salt matters. If it works for you, then great!
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:15 PM   #6  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmink View Post
Can anyone give me a sound reason as to why sea salt vs regular salt? My coach said any salt will do and I did some research and found no difference. All salt, whether labeled table salt or sea salt, comes from a salted body of water—namely, an ocean or salt-water lake. Some salt makers use water or deposits from today’s oceans; others use deposits evaporated from oceans in previous geological eras. Just seems like they are trying to sell product.

Check this link out for more. http://blog.fooducate.com/2011/08/12...alt-the-truth/
I suppose one can find research to support just about any point of view. If you can't tell the difference -- which was my experience with the IP Real salt -- then you haven't had a good sea salt. You might want to look into the minerals and other traces in the various sea salts.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 02:38 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post
I suppose one can find research to support just about any point of view. If you can't tell the difference -- which was my experience with the IP Real salt -- then you haven't had a good sea salt. You might want to look into the minerals and other traces in the various sea salts.
Actually, it is known that regular salt is actually better for you because it contains Iodine. Not having enough iodine can do damage to your body which is why they started putting iodine in salt in the first place. It can affect your fertility, you can get a goiter and it is the biggest known cause of mental ret****tion ( insert "arda" where they blocked it out)! I don't know if there is iodine in the supplements, but something worth looking in to.

Last edited by Lilmink; 01-31-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Are you sure the rash is from the sea salt?? My daughter-in-law get a bad rash when she goes into ketosis.

"Lilmink"--- They make sea salt with iodine added also. That is what I buy.
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinF View Post
Are you sure the rash is from the sea salt?? My daughter-in-law get a bad rash when she goes into ketosis.

"Lilmink"--- They make sea salt with iodine added also. That is what I buy.
That I have never seen. That would be a great thing to find. I'll keep an eye out.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilmink View Post
That I have never seen. That would be a great thing to find. I'll keep an eye out.
"HAIN" IODIZED SEA SALT. I get it at Wal-Mart where the spices are. Same type of long round cylinder as the regular salt.

Last edited by KarinF; 01-31-2012 at 09:18 PM.
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote