Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #1  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

Default Huh???!! Honestly? This is water weight?

I jumped on the scale this morning for my weigh in (the day its usually down, since I didn't exercise yesterday) and it says I gained 13lbs total in a week- What?????????

I've been drinking 8-12 glasses of water as usual, and I drank 12 yesterday. How could this be water weight? I only ate 1200 calories yesterday and I eat the usual 1200-1600.

I've never seen a gain THIS high before, especially from water, and after so religiously making sure I'm hydrated. And yes I peed and weighed as soon as I got up as I usually do.

Can anyone prevent me from having a heart attack?

I also took my measurements and my chest/hips went down more, but my arm went back up an inch and my stomach went up 2 inches. Could that be something?

So my weigh in went like this -186-193-196-200 since I hit my lowest weight. What the heck is going on? I never had these problems until I started working out again a month ago.

Last edited by schubunny; 01-31-2012 at 10:38 AM.
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #2  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

schubunny, this is where a food log can really come in handy. It COULD be water weight - from a food sensitivity. I haven't had anything that extreme, but I can gain 4 pounds in 3 hours when I tangle with artificial food colorants. Some cause immediate inflammation, and others can take up to 48 hours, which is why the food log is such a useful tool. Figuring it out can be a long process and take some patience!

Or ... and this has been a recurring theme ... your scale may simply need some new batteries. Before you throw it through a wall, try that!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/120

Height: 5'2

Also your body retains water more when you exercise since your muscles use it when repairing themselves. DO you feel sore after working out?

Hormone fluxes can cause water retention. I go up 5-8 pounds around my TOM and when I was not on BC it was around the time I was ovulating as well.

There is no way you would have magically gained 13 pounds. I know it is frustrating but you just need to ignore the scale and keep going. YOU know you are not cheating and YOU know you are drinking the right amount of water. As long as you are doing everything right it the weight will come off.

Last edited by Jonsgurl0531; 01-31-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Jonsgurl0531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:54 AM   #4  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsgurl0531 View Post
YOU know you are not cheating and YOU know you are drinking the right amount of water. As long as you are doing everything right it the weight will come off.
I know, it's just... omg it's scary I heard of people retaining a lot of water and while I am prone (beer makes me bloat enormously), I try to stay away from what makes it worse and guzzle water like no tomorrow.

I have a feeling it's my weight loss program making it worse, because I am constantly sore.

I feel like having a cheat day, I hear that causes a whoosh.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:55 AM   #5  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Does your scale need new batteries?
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM   #6  
Sarah

S/C/G: 172/ticker/125

Height: 5´4.5

You said you just started working out again. Can it maybe be water weight added with new lean muscle??...you know muscle weighs more than fat...=)
lovemydoggiesx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 AM   #7  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemydoggiesx2 View Post
You said you just started working out again. Can it maybe be water weight added with new lean muscle??...you know muscle weighs more than fat...=)
I never thought about that. I hear so many different things though, someone told me it's too early for me to put on muscle yet. Is that true?
Old 01-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #8  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I just tested it with a 10lb dumbbell and it's accurate
Old 01-31-2012, 11:17 AM   #9  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Well, crap, lol.. The last time mine went that wonky it was batteries. I have gained 12lbs once when I was on TOM and I had started p90x, lol.. that was a shocker!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:39 AM   #10  
the aly bagel

Quote:
Well, crap, lol.. The last time mine went that wonky it was batteries. I have gained 12lbs once when I was on TOM and I had started p90x, lol.. that was a shocker!
What I'm doing is like P90X -intense body weight training with cardio. And I could be on TOM and don't know it (I don't get it any more because of my birth control)

Did you get a whoosh in the end?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:11 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 164/see ticker/125

Height: 5 feet even

There still could be something wonky with your scale. Sometimes they are more accurate with smaller weights, but are off on higher weights (like what humans actually weigh)

Like everyone is saying, it could be the perfect storm with exercise, TOM, and water retention. There is no way you have gained 13 pounds.

I think I would run by my doctor's office and ask to weigh on their scale really quick. Or go to somewhere, and step on a scale just to compare.

A cheat day may be a decent idea, just watch that you don't eat a ton of sodium that encourages your body to keep the water it may have retained. Also, only do a cheat day if you are in a good mental place to do so. If it's going to turn into a cheat week/month/year . . . back away from the ledge. lol
Katydid77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 PM   #12  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
That is the first thing I'd do; change the batteries. Even if the 10 lb. weight was accurate, the higher the weight, the more it can get thrown off.

Last edited by thistoo; 01-31-2012 at 12:16 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:17 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 120/104/fit

Height: 5"3

Have you tried a new food recently ? Maybe you have a reaction, or an allergy of some sort.
Magalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Are your muscles sore? I've found that when I work out and my muscles are sore, that translates to a big water weight gain. When the soreness leaves, the weight goes with it for the most part.

Last edited by djs06; 01-31-2012 at 12:21 PM.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #15  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

That's quite a fluctuation, but if you know you're not eating too much then it's most likely not fat gain. Which leaves water and/or muscle gain, both of which are better than fat.

I hate fluctuations too. Have you been eating something that causes water retention? I bloat hugely when I eat bread - two small slices and I'm up 1.5-3 lbs the next day even if I didn't eat over my calories. But I try not to panic - it is what it is and I'll ride it out.

Last edited by LiannaKole; 02-02-2012 at 04:39 PM.
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote