Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #1  
Getting started

S/C/G: 260/tricker/159

Height: 5' 7''

Question Beginner looking for guidance with starting weight training at home

Hello,

First of all, thank you for taking the time to read my post.

A little bit of background: I am 27, female, obese and have been on an unhealthy diet with little excersise for the past 10 years. Thankfully, no health related problems showing yet but I have decided not to wait until they start popping up and to finally take control of my weight and life style.

In the last few weeks I have gradually educated myself on diet issues and implemented some changes into my diet that start to show first results, which feels great.

I have decided to introduce changes gradually and at a level that I can feel comfortable with and hopefully also maintain in the long run and am now in search of an excersise program to include.

Having done some reading, I had a very good impression about the benefits of weight trainig. However, I am at a bit of a loss when it comes to how to actually get started with it gradually as a home workout?

Going to the gym is not something I feel comfortable with or that would fit well into my daily schedule so I would prefer to start working out at home.

My questions go out to those experienced in weight training:
- Do you know of a simple beginner program that you would recommend?
- What equippment would a beginner need to workout at home?
- Are there any specific issues to watch out for when getting started with weight training?

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Any pointers or input will be much appreciated!
Lizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi!

I thought we had a sticky geared for beginners but maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Beginners and experienced people alike can use the same types of programs, what varies would be the weight and also beginners need to learn the movements before trying to max out the weight they use.

I'd recommend reading through Stumptuous, it is a great site and there are some recommended weight training programs listed on the site.
http://www.stumptuous.com/

Definitely read through the site but also here is a link to the workout ideas portion of the site:
http://www.stumptuous.com/category/t.../workout_ideas

Many of us really like The New Rules of Lifting for Women. It is a book and really covers all you need to know to get into weight lifting as well as providing you with a 6 month training program.

Another book option is Body for Life which again provides you with a training program but it is shorter than New Rules of Lifting for Women. They also have a website http://www.bodyforlife.com

As to what equipment you would need, that depends on your resources. Dumbbells are the most basic equipment and are pretty versatile. The drawbacks are they are heavy (ie not very portable) and can get expensive and then they can start taking up a lot of room. If you can swing it, you might want to look into adjustable dumbbells but you may just want to start collecting dumbbells as you go.

For traveling/portable weight training, I'd look into resistance bands and we do have a sticky on resistance bands. http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...d-workout.html The two programs I mentioned above done use resistance bands but if you really wanted to, you could probably modify both to include them. You could also find various routines online.

If you want really portable but also really effective, I'd also look at a TRX system. It basically uses your body weight to give you an overall workout. I have one and my husband almost exclusively uses it for exercise. It is amazing how much his body has changed in the last few months of using it. Only issue is you'd need to anchor it. They sell something so you can screw into the ceiling to anchor it as well as something to anchor it into a closed door (door must close towards you!). You can find exercises for it online, youtube has a bunch but they also sell DVDs that also come with a book showing the exercises. I have another friend who has one and she makes up her own routines based on what she finds on youtube but for a beginner, I'd say pick up a couple of their DVDs to give you an idea of the basics of a routine.
http://www.fitnessanywhere.com/

The only specific issue I'd say is be aware of your form at all times. You may not know the exact right form but you should be in control, your core should be tight and your back straight.

Also, ExRx is a good site that has many exercise demos on it and good to look through although it existed way before youtube so you can find a lot of stuff on youtube these days.
http://www.exrx.net/

We also have a sticky on Kettlebells, which I think are a good supplement to your workout routine as it is kettlebell workouts also incorporate cardiovascular training, work your large leg muscles and are supposed to be good for your shoulders. And also definitely works your core.
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...ttlebells.html
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:36 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 172.8/168/145 maybe?

Height: 5'2

Great Suggestions on NRLW and Body For Life. Billl Phillips is excellent and the book might be old but the theory is there. It's great. I at one time wanted to do one of his body challenges and gave up. Just wasn't my time. His Eating for Life Book. Terrific I have it right at my left hand side. Those recipes will always be a winner.

You can get a set of bands off line. Get different colors as they vary. Or get the tubing. Don't worry, they can handle. it.

Or you can get a beginner DVD and work out at your own pace.

You can also do the free weight way but you will need at least 2 different sizes at the minimum.

If one program does not click, don't give up. There are tons of Exercise videos to gander at to see if you would like to do them.

Then you to amazon and order it as it will be cheaper then on anyones web site.
tytbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #4  
Getting started

S/C/G: 260/tricker/159

Height: 5' 7''

Thank you so much for the advice, both of you!

I started to check out stumptuous.com and wow, that site has great no non-sense aticles, I absolutely love it!

Found a number of specific excercise programs and will probably start training with "Workout 1: Beginner, full-body" program recommended at the site.
Lizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

FYI, I modified the original post because we thought this thread would be a good pointer for weight training beginners. Feel free to add your beginner weight training tips.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: HW370/319/200

Height: 5'9"

As another tip, I have found a number of yoga and pilates workouts on Netflix. There is quite a variety and my teenager and I do them once or twice a week in the living room. And if you already subscribe, it's free to you! There are also tons of them you can add to your DVD queue that come to your home for tons more accessibility to something different to try, and I love that I can mail in a DVD Monday and have a new one by Wednesday.
KerriLeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'1"

This is awesome! I am getting some light weight training in the gym I go to now, but it's getting to winter where it is going to be hard to get there with the weather. The gym in my apartment complex is find for cardio, but the weight machine is crap. Glad to find something about what I can do at home.
kyalpn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 96kg

Height: 6"

Beginners first must start with learning the proper form with weight training. My best tip would be to learn the most effective power moves for building muscle.
#1 Deadlift
#2 Pull up
#3 Bench press
# 4 Clean and jerk
#5 Triceps dips

These are a great way to start training, reply if your nto sure what these are an I would be happy to go over the technique with you )
GaryHigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #9  

Height: 5'6

I was a beginner about six months ago and I ordered the NROL4W book and OMG, this book changed my life, seriously. I look at exercise in a totally different way. I no longer am a slave to the scale because weight training has taught me that muscle weighs more than fat. I also workout at home and I've been successful at it with minimal equipment. Good luck to you.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 302.2/296.2/180

Height: 5 feet 11 inches

Default Great Advice

Thanks so much for the great advice and links in this thread. I must say that I am kinda scared of the weights but I am going to take time to visit the sites listed here and read the articles and give it a try! Thanks again!
treetop1913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/131

Height: 5'2"

Default Spartacus

A good, short (depending on how many cycles you go through), intense workout with some cardio built right in is Spartacus - my personal trainer started me on it and I do it at home. It requires 2 dumbbells of one weight and 1 of a higher weight (I use two 10s and a 15). The first and ninth stations use the heavier one.
"To create the Spartacus Workout, we chose 10 exercises that collectively work every part of your body. Then we made each exercise a 60-second station so you can challenge your heart and lungs as well as your muscles. The final product is a high-intensity circuit designed to torch fat, define your chest, abs, and arms, and send your fitness level soaring."
The workout is at MensHealth.com - the hot shirtless guy demonstrating is just icing.

You're supposed to do each station for 1 minute and go through the whole thing 3 times, but I started at 45 seconds per station and only went once through, and will move up as I get stronger, first to 1 minute per station, then 1 1/2 times through the rotation, on to twice through and up.
amyaimeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #12  

Living in rural India, there is not a gym near me.. So my weight training is at home... I was looking for motivation & stumbled across physicalfix.com

I have been doing the program for 2 months now & love it! I've lost 14.5 lbs & 71/2 inches in the 2 months I have been working out..

3 new weight/cardio workouts a week... Josh (the trainer) is very motivational, informative & does the workouts with you.. really helps in keeping me inspired & coming back for more... I edit the workouts some... for instance when he does 45 sec. jumping jacks, I pause the work out & ride stationary bike hard.. for cardio benefit..

Anyways... It's really helped me... So passing it on for those looking for motivation for home weightlifting..
indigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 154/146/126

Height: 5'5"

Does anyone have any advice on the best weight to buy my first kettlebell in?
metalfirecracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:36 PM   #14  

I was a beginner about six months ago and I ordered the NROL4W book and OMG, this book changed my life, seriously. I look at exercise in a totally different way. I no longer am a slave to the scale because weight training has taught me that muscle weighs more than fat. I also workout at home and I've been successful at it with minimal equipment. Good luck to you.

What is NROL4W??
STorres43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 225/162.6/130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHigham View Post
Beginners first must start with learning the proper form with weight training. My best tip would be to learn the most effective power moves for building muscle.
#1 Deadlift
#2 Pull up
#3 Bench press
# 4 Clean and jerk
#5 Triceps dips

These are a great way to start training, reply if your nto sure what these are an I would be happy to go over the technique with you )
I would second this advice and also add overhead press.
Tiffkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote