Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2003, 09:41 PM   #1  

Default has anyone read Carnie Wilson's books?

Hi,

I think most of you know about my love of reading

Anyway, I'm reading Carnie Wiilson's second book "I'm Still Hungry." I was just wondering if anyone else has read her books. I never thought of doing weight loss surgery (too scared) but it's very interesting. She is extremely honest!

Take care,
Sherry
Old 07-27-2003, 10:15 PM   #2  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

No, but I wanted to. Maybe we can start a book exchange?

The best book I've found so far is called Good In Bed. It's fiction, but sooooo good.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:35 PM   #3  

SAPF,

I have read "good in bed" also... blushing when I checked it out from the library. The character of Cannie pops up a bit in Jennifer Weiner's second book. I liked "good in bed" much better, actually.

The same day I checked out "good in bed" (it's the story of a plus size woman who's boyfriend wrote in a newspaper column about how he loves her even though she's fat) I checked out a book called "Animal Husbandry" by Laura Ziegler-a British writer. It's another one of those "chick lit" books...I didn't end up having time to read it, but the librarian must have thought I'm weird!

I have the Carnie Wilson book from the library-I'm sorry. If I'd bought it, I'd lend it to you. Maybe your library has it. My library actually ordered it for me-the librarians all know me!

Sherry
Old 07-27-2003, 10:41 PM   #4  

That is an excellent idea, I forgot about them! Thank you!
Old 07-27-2003, 10:53 PM   #5  

SAPF

I have read that HBO (or maybe showtime?) is making the book Good in Bed into a series. I think it's supposed to start in Fall of 2004. Jennifer Weiner has a website, there's probably info posted there about it. Hopefully we'll have our satellite dish by then and will have all the movie channels so I can see it. I wonder who will star in it? The author went to college in Princeton, NJ, which is right by where I live. Her second book talked about all these places I've been to, which was neat.

Sherry
Old 07-27-2003, 11:12 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally posted by suzie76
SAPF

I have read that HBO (or maybe showtime?) is making the book Good in Bed into a series.

That is soooo great!!! Who do you think they should cast as Cannie?
Old 07-28-2003, 10:32 AM   #7  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I read Carnie's first book and sorry to say didn't like it much. I can remember her talking about smoking pot and saying that if there was pot in the house she would smoke it regardless of whether she actually felt like it or not. It sounded to me that she has a very addictive personality so I couldn't see how she would be able to keep the weight off even with the stomach surgery. People who have that surgery can still gain weight back. Obviously she has kept the weight off so that is great for her. She has her own web site if anyone wants to check it out www.carniewilson.com
Old 07-28-2003, 02:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

I've got to hit the library today! "Good in Bed" sounds great. It reminds me of a wonderful 300+ woman I knew named Karen. She was a very good married Christian lady with two kids and she had the best personality. She was at a party once and a thin friend had a new, cute boyfriend. The friend was going to the bathroom and jokingly said that she was leaving the new boyfriend with Karen so nobody else would steal him. Karen looks at the woman and said, "Hey, fat girls f___, too!"

Don't know why thin people think fat people have no sex life, or aren't sexy.
Old 07-28-2003, 03:24 PM   #9  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

Queen said it best, "fat bottomed girls, you make the world go round"!!!!
Old 07-28-2003, 04:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

good in bed was a FANTASTIC book. highly reccommended!

also try "jemima j", it's got a huge weightloss story too.

but as a p.s., i don't really like carnie wilson's image. she's putting it out there like she's this huge icon, but someone who did the surgury and then posed in playboy seems pretty attention hungry to me.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:15 PM   #11  

Quote:
Originally posted by gonzostar
also try "jemima j", it's got a huge weightloss story too.
YESSSSSSS, can't believe I forgot this one.

I'm still not sure about Carnie. I'd never have surgery, so I can't relate there, but I also can't relate to someone who has that much money & didn't spend all her days when she wasn't at the recording studio in the gym, or out walking her weiner dogs. I mean, I understand food issues, we all have them. It's hard to say, but like Holly said, I can't believe she's in Playboy now. Yuck. Sellout. Myah.

I guess I am sure.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:23 PM   #12  

I don't agree with a lot of what she's done, especially the drugs-I just found her books interesting. I got them from the library on purpose-I didn't want to buy them.

My husband is a HUGE Beach Boys fan, and has contributed quite enough to that family's wealth buying cds, the remastered versions of the cds, the concerts on VHS, then DVD, etc, etc,

I liked Jemima J to a point-I don't think the portrayal of weight loss was accurate. Just all of a sudden she starved herself and got thin. Has anyone read Jane Green's other books? I loved "Bookends" and "Babyville" was good too.

Sherry
Old 07-29-2003, 01:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally posted by suzie76
I liked Jemima J to a point-I don't think the portrayal of weight loss was accurate.
i liked that the book definately portaryed her starving and overexercising as BAD, and that she does actually settle at a better weight for herself.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:03 PM   #14  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I just finished "Diary of a Fat housewife" which was recommended from here. It was good, but I didn't like how it ended.

I just ordered Good in Bed ($5.00) and Jemima J ($3.45) off of Amazon (used, of course!!). They killed me with $6.98 shipping, but I still saved!!

Needed a new book! Thanks!!!
Old 07-29-2003, 08:33 PM   #15  

I've always wanted to read Julia Havey's books, has anyone here read them?

The Easiest Diet I Never Went On

&

Awaken the Diet Within

She lost about 150#. She's got a website, too,

http://www.juliahavey.com
Closed Thread