Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #1  
Changing for the better

S/C/G: 268/257/150

Height: 5'8"

Unhappy Having a bad few days with my diet, started nursing school, and foot pain.

I started my lifestyle change almost a month ago and I was home all day just about everyday or taking my son to do fun things (as long as I wasn't in any pain), so I had a lot of freedom and time as far as my meals go. It was really easy to keep up with my calories counting and not go over 1500 but this past week has been pretty bad. I haven't eaten my "maintenance amount" but I have definitely gone over my 1500 goal. At school I do have a refrigerator and microwave available to me but it seems like I am having trouble with time (not having enough) to prepare something that is satisfying which has caused me to go on little binges (definitely not at the scale they were before, thankfully). Another issue is that I have Posterior Tibial Tendonitis (adult acquired flatfoot), arthritis, and sprained knees(I am only 28)... which makes working out quite a painful task. I went to the gym a few days ago and I am still hurting/inflamed. I guess I am feeling discouraged because I am so tired of being in pain, even more so sick and tired of being fat. The weight most likely contributed a great deal to my development of these tendon issues, though I had the beginnings before I was overweight. Does anyone deal with these issues? How do you stop feeling sorry for yourself and wishing you could just go back in time? Any satisfying easy to make meals that are portable?
When I started a month ago, I lost 12 pounds in 2.5 weeks - but now I am staying the same because of less activity and not sticking to my calories counting. Any workout suggestions that are super low impact? Has anyone had similar issues that improved with weight loss? I am starting to feel like I have defeated myself
TiffNeedsChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:41 AM   #2  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

Hey Tiff ! You are definitely not alone. I have two bad knees that I owe to carrying around too much weight.The good news is you can reverse that trend with planning and determination. When you are(too) busy, you have to keep reminding yourself that you are you have made this a top priority. What helps me is to go grocery shopping and stock up on foods that are easy ,healthy, and in line with my weight loss goal. Dieting isn't for wimps !
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Hey! I suggest you consult with your doctor about what exercises you should and should not be doing, with your medical condition. It doesn't make sense to be hurting yourself with exercise.

The most important thing in weight loss is the food you eat. Plan your foods and prepare them in advance so that you aren't just grabbing something because you're hungry--you'll need to make time for this. Also, keep a couple of ready-to-eat foods like Kashi bars or other nutrition bars with you for times when you find yourself hungry. Don't let your plan get lost in the shuffle.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

hi Tiff! You are definitely not alone! I too have tendonitis right now and hate that I can't take long walks. I second the suggestion to talk w/your doctor. I would add too that ICE is your FRIEND for these kinds of injuries. (I am icing now, computer on lap, on the couch).

Find two or three recipes that you can make in bulk and freeze ahead. Sunday is often my day to plan/cook for the next ten days or so. Hang in there -- I think the weight loss is faster in the very beginning, but it WILL continue to come off if you keep up your good eating habits.
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #5  
Changing for the better

Thanks to you all for responding. . Sometimes there is nothing like talking to people who know how it is! I am feeling a bit better today thankfully. Forward on we go!

Marigrace- I hope that once most of the weight is gone I stop being in so much pain! I hope the same thing for you with your knees, it is so frustrating to think that I did this to myself but I am glad to finally feel like I have the power to change I went and got some low Cal snacks, I think not bring able to eat on my own terms just threw for a loop since I am in class. Thank you and

Jayeli- I have seen my doctor and went to physical therapy for 2the months and the sad thin is that the exercises she said I could do at the gym hurt and cause inflammation so I don't do them (stationary bike is sometimes OK but the elliptical really did a number on me). I am going to try to get a second opinion from another podiatrist so hopefully they will give Me more answers. You are so right about the ready to eat bars, I went out and bought some-i resisted them because I only waned to eat fresh but now I realize this new schedule will be including a lot of compromise. Thank you and

Guynna- I have had this tendonities for about 6 months, ended up getting really depressed because I was using an office chair to wheel around my house for about 6 weeks and gained even more weight (eventhough I knew being obese is a huge contributing factor). I hope that your tendinitis improves, I was paying for physical therapy out of pocket so I got sent off before my body was ready- my therapist was doing astym treatments which were amazing and actually relieved some of my pain. You may want to look into it. Looks like I am going to do some recipe searches.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Tiff - Almost 2 years ago (early May) something snapped in my right knee. It was horrible and no one could find anything wrong - nothing showed on an MRI. I spent the summer on prescription NSAIDs and on crutches, in a brace or both. It started to ease up by fall and I cut way back on the meds. In January I started to lose weight, but had to go back on the NSAIDs to get through any exercise class - even low impact. After about 50 pounds I decided to try not taking the meds. No pain with low impact. Now I can run and do jumping jacks that I never would have dreamed of doing with 90 pounds on. It will get better as the weight comes off. Heck, I can't even begin to carry 90 pounds of "stuff" around with me, but that's what my body was doing every minute a year ago. I lifted a 50 pound bag of rock salt in the garage the other day and thought how I used to have almost twice that on me all the time.

As for portable meals - salads with chicken or cheese or an egg in them work well for lunch. Veggie sticks and an apple on the side. A few bagel or pita crisps for croutons. Or oatmeal and have that with fresh fruit for lunch. I like breakfast food for lunch and ate oatmeal almost every day last winter along with a piece of fruit and maybe a yogurt or a piece of cheese. I'd suggest healthy sandwiches, but I had the best results when I stayed away from bread, so while calories can be OK, you might want to avoid the carbs most of the time. Though the occasional sandwich is quick and easy, too.

Good luck. Hang in there. We're all in this together.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #7  
Samantha

S/C/G: 150/ticker/130

Height: 5'7"

Tiff- I'm sorry to hear about your condition that causes you such pain! Are you able to handle an exercise bike or a rowing machine? Does your gym have an arm bicycle? Or even just do some weight lifting. There's plenty you can try that won't be so demanding on your feet!

As for school, I am SO with you on that! I'm in grad school right now for speech pathology, and for the past 3 semesters (including summer) I have been dealing with 14 hour days. Wake up at 6, get ready, have clinic all day, have a 6-9 class, and then go home to do school work that I did not have time for throughout the entire day. So as you can see, not only did I not have time for working out, but I didn't have time for cooking either, and I was getting extremely tired of lean cuisines. What I can suggest to you is to make a weeks work of lunches and dinners during the weekend, so all you have to do each morning or right before you go to bed is put it all together in a container so you're good to go!

best of luck with school and everything! Just think, soon you'll be done and you'll have all the time in the world to work out and well...breathe!!
sammalamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #8  
Changing for the better

Lin- I am so glad to hear that your knee isn't bothering you after losing the weight! That is definitely encouraging I know what you mean about lifting things that aren't even close to what I need to lose... Actually, I made a little Picture with "Paint" program on the computer by drawing 10 little bags with 10 yellow circles (potatoes) in them and I black out 1 potato for each pound that I lose It is crazy to think that I am walking around with more than 10 10 pound bags of potatoes every day. I think you're right about the carbs, when I stay in my calories but still eat carbs it seems like a barely lose anything! Salad sounds like a good idea, especially since I like bulk. Congrats on meeting your goal That is actually what I am hoping to be my maintenance weight as well. Thanks again for such a kind and caring response!
Old 01-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #9  
Changing for the better

Sammalamma- I'm not sure if they have a rowing machine but I will have to try that out. I was swimming but now that my knees are giving me trouble I've put that on hold. I'm hoping that sometime soon I will be able to get a personal trainer for a few sessions to teach me proper form because I have no weight lifting skills (Other than lifting my 40 pound 2 year old haha). Thanks for the advice
As for school, I am so overwhelmed! It was my first week last week and boy I tell ya they move fast! This semester I decided to buy e-textbooks instead of print and that is a learning curve in itself. If I didn't have to cook for my family it would be easier for me to prep so I am think that I may start doing the single serv. you recommended for myself and do other things for my family. Going from being a part time college student & stay at home mom to nursing school student with my mom watching my son has changed so much of my schedule. I can't believe they have you going for 14 hours/day for speech therapy, that is just insane. 14 hour days are soooo draining, right now the longest day I've had was 9 hours thankfully. We will see what happens when I really start to study though. Congratulations on your grad school accomplishment - furthering our education while still trying to live life is definitely more complicated than I ever imagined but it will be worth it in the end. I wish you a smooth next week!