Old 01-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

Red face Constipation

A little help please. I am new to the forum and not really sure how to use all the features but what can we use for constipation help? I eat plenty of lettuce for lunch and dinner plus other veggies but a feeling a little plugged up. Are laxatives allowed?

Thanks for the help :-)
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 305/163/165

I use floralax everyday as I constantly have an issue with the balance of THAT! I also use two probiotics twice a day. Make sure you're water is up up up!

I have used senacot (sp?) but it doesn't really work for me like floralax.
Ishbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:30 PM   #3  
Explorer

S/C/G: 188/170/163

Height: 5'9''

I had the same problem in september and it went so bad that i eventually had to take laxatives. I had been constipated for 8 days and already had a fever because of it. The laxatives work but I would't recommend them unless you are in emergency situation. Laxative pills are hard enough chemicals to mess your whole body up and force it to let go the the food. You should try food with high fiber content first, but keep in mind that the bigger the dry volume of what you eat, the harder it will be for your digestive system to get rid of it. Kiwis, rhubarb, figs and dried prunes are natural soft laxatives. Try to google for herbal teas that could help you. Years ago I once did a one-week diet that included such herbal tea, I can't remember what it was made of though.

To keep from getting constipated, drink enough water, less caffeine and eat less meat. Also, I personally get in trouble when I eat white bread or cookies. Healty eating in general keeps my guts working properly.

I hope it helped a bit...
graatsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarinF View Post
A little help please. I am new to the forum and not really sure how to use all the features but what can we use for constipation help? I eat plenty of lettuce for lunch and dinner plus other veggies but a feeling a little plugged up. Are laxatives allowed?

Thanks for the help :-)
I use the remedy IP has which is Lovi-Lax. It's gentle enough to use every day. It started working a little too well so I cut down to one pill per day. (I was using max of 2 per day.) It took a few days to kick in, but it worked. Well, when I went down to 1 per day it stopped working so well but I had Magnesium Citrate in the fridge (CVS brand in a 10 oz bottle) and boy did that work! If you've had the big C problem for a while you can clean your system quickly with the Mag Citrate...Good luck!

ALSO, Search this topic under the IP threads because there's TONS of information already on this site about the big C! By the time you read all the posts you'll probably have a movement!!!

Last edited by New Englander; 01-28-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Search recommendation...
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 PM   #5  
wannabe thinner

S/C/G: 167/116/115

Height: 5'

Be sure you are drinking enough water and I took a tblsn of sugar-free Metamucil. That used to be recommended. I forget what the current recommendation is now.
Calypso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 249.4/see ticker/152

Height: 5'6"

My doctor recommends MiraLax. It is a stool softner that relieves constipation. And make sure you increase your water intake. Water is what makes everything work better!

Good luck!
galpal445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'8

Thank you everyone,

I have been, and still do, drink over 80 oz. water a day. Water has always been my choice of drink :-)

I have been looking at my food intake and I think I am running short on Salad. Since they say you can eat all the lettuce you want along with 4 cups veggies, I didn't know that you HAD to eat lettuce. I think I have been lacking on the leafy greens. I eat steamed Broccoli for lunch with my packet and no salad then more steamed veggies for dinner and salad sometimes.

I live a ways from a store so I didn't make it there to get any of the items mentioned in here. I WILL be going today, as I don't want this to become a BAD issue.

I did have some OLD ground flax seed from years ago stored in my freezer (2009). I put a TBS in a glass of water and drank that last night and also drank a cup of chamomile tea. Will see how it goes this morning....

I never had this problem while doing the Atkins way of eating. I think maybe the packaged food is causing this along with the lack of greens.

I was stupid a couple years ago, after being on the Atkins way of eating for over 5 years successfully, and decided I was going to go off for the holidays and eat every cookie and pie I could get my hands on LOL. Well I never got back on track and put back on the 50+ pounds that I worked so hard to loose. I had been trying to get back on Atkins for the past year and haven't been able to do it. I heard of IP and thought it would be more structured so maybe easier to get back on track. Hopefully I can get this fixed and stay regular or I will have to do something different. I am down 6 lbs in as I am finishing up my 2nd week so IP is working in that sense but I don't like the side effects that IP/or myself has caused.

Wow...ramble on, sorry

Thanks again
Karin
KarinF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:01 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 288(WLS)/160/150

Height: 5' 6.25"

I have had this issue too and have to take a daily supplment to help. My coach told me that raw veggies can also contribute to this. She encouraged me to eat more grilled or roasted veggies which have a texture that is a little easier to digest. All I can think about is what the protein looks like if you don't get your mixer cup or container rinsed out before it dries.....must be doing the same thing in our digestive system. My coach said that some are able to handle it ok without any help, but many experience this problem. I have found that getting a little walking in helps too. I am on restart week 2 so am taking it easy until next week on the physical activity but expect that will help too. Hang in there!
terrid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 294.6/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I've been on IP for over 6 months and been dealing with that since the beginning. I have to take 4 floralax and 4 probiotics a day. I have taken the novilax which is supposed to be stronger but it doesn't work really for me like the floralax does.
Busymomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote