Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 01-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/199/125

Unhappy Skin after weightloss?

I'm new and feeling sort of bleh today so please excuse me if this is in the wrong area.

I am 21 and looking to lose around 90lbs(currently 210), I'm doing alright so far but one thing has me scared to death: LOOSE SKIN!!
Watching shows about weight loss and always seeing the hula-hoop of skin the people are left with is really making me re-think this whole thing. I know it sounds like a silly thing to be worried about when you look at the big picture but I'm really worried

Does anyone know or have a good guess as to how much skin I'll have to deal with? I'm losing at a nice slow pace because I've heard that helps.
MarishaMaromi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 02:18 AM   #2  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

I have thought about it too, but I then thought what would I rather deal with so much fat in/around/on my body that is bound to make me sick or some loose skin that will be hidden most of the time under my new great clothes?
Good luck with your journey.
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 AM   #3  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I'm 23 and I have loose skin on my stomach after losing 80+ pounds. Trust me, it's a A LOT better having the loose skin. Clothes hide it after all

Strength training has helped me avoid loose skin on my arms and legs and I'm hoping that in time the loose skin on my stomach tightens up and I've already seen improvements since I started focusing on adding exercises that strengthen my core about a month ago.

You can do everything right—drink lots of water, strength train, lose at a slow pace—and STILL end up with loose skin. Trust me though, I'd rather be here than my old size
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/145/145

Height: 5'11"

It depends on the elasticity of your skin, which is genetic. I've been a yo-yo dieter for most of my adult life and I've had two kids, but I have no stretch marks or loose skin. Your mileage may vary, of course, but it's not a given that you'll have lots of loose skin.

F.
freelancemomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:05 AM   #5  
On a Mission

S/C/G: 246/193/169

Height: 5'9"

I am concerned about this too even though I have known people who've lost a lot of weight and really didn't have as much lose skin as you'd think. I haven't ever heard anyone talk about gaining the weight back to get rid of the lose skin so it's obviously easier living with a little loose skin than carrying extra weight.

You just don't know til you get there. Some people do find some help with lotions and other methods. They might not work great for everyone but taking care of your skin is always a good idea and it makes you feel good.
4star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Yeah, you will probably have it, most people do. It all depends on how long you were overweight, how quickly you gained it and genetics. Losing at a slow speed doesn't make your skin any better, it just looks better because it's puffed out by fat longer.

I lost my weight rather quickly and the loose skin was pretty bad at first, but by the time I reached about 1 year in maintaince, it was looking much better and now that I'm in 2.5 years of maintaince, it looks even better yet. How quickly or slowly you lose the weight doesn't matter to the skin...it's STAYING at the same weight for a long extended period of time is how the skin adjusts.

Exercise, exercises the muscles, not the skin. Exercise has no effect on skin tissue. It will make your muscles more defined, hence filling up some space...but no amount of excercise will actually SHRINK skin. TIME at a consistent weight, a healthy diet, minimal tanning and care is the only real solution. lol

Last edited by Lori Bell; 01-25-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #7  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
I lost my weight rather quickly and the loose skin was pretty bad at first, but by the time I reached about 1 year in maintaince, it was looking much better and now that I'm in 2.5 years of maintaince, it looks even better yet. How quickly or slowly you lose the weight doesn't matter to the skin...it's STAYING at the same weight for a long extended period of time is how the skin adjusts.

Exercise, exercises the muscles, not the skin. Exercise has no effect on skin tissue. It will make you muscles more defined, hence filling up some space...but no amount of excercise will SHRINK skin. TIME at a consistent wight, a healthy diet, minimal tanning and care is the only real solution. lol
Thank you so much for posting this. This really gives me hope that my skin will eventually shrink down after years at my maintenance weight.

I was pretty when I saw that I was going to be stuck with loose skin at first and I remember arguing with myself ("I'm in my 20s! I shouldn't have loose skin!") before realizing that I'm in a much better place than I was just a year ago.

I'm much happier and healthier now, so I need to look at the positive
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #8  
On a mission!

S/C/G: 294/195/165

Height: 5'4.5

Thanks for posting this I was wondering about it aswell... summer will be here before I know it ya but ugh because i would REALLY FINALLY like to show my arms!!!
Diamondonalandmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #9  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

That is really good to know thanks Lori Bell!! Gives me hope that maybe by the time I hit 40 (in 5 years) I'll have minimal loose skin!! I'm HOPING!
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I'm 60 and was over 250 for 25 years. I lost 90 pounds in 8 1/2 months. I have a little bit of baggyness in my upper arms, thighs, and tummy. It's already a bit better that it was 4 months ago. And certainly better than fat. I fully intend to wear shorts and tank tops this summer. Don't worry just yet. You're a lot younger and will probably bounce back just fine.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #11  

Thanks so much for all of the replies I'm still freaked out but you did help!
Old 01-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #12  

I'm new too and no spring chicken! I'm 58. I have just lost 113 lbs, reaching my goal weight 3 weeks ago. I have been using a good skin firming cream, massaging it in twice a day, all the way through my weight loss journey. I am surprised at how little loose skin I have and it is already noticeably tightening up. Buy some effective cream and spend a few minutes every day! If I am getting great results at my stage of life, you will be absolutely fine! Leigh
LighterLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #13  

Wow, congratulations! Are you aloud to post the name of the cream? Or do you suppose any firming cream will work?
Old 01-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #14  
I can do anything!

S/C/G: 267/Ticker/150 & BAMF

Height: 5'9.5"

I've lost almost 100 lbs. I have a little bit of loose skin but it looks better every single day. It's not bad enough to make me lose sleep at night anymore.

I'll tell you one thing... a little loose skin looks a billion times better than a 100 lb fat suit . Don't be afraid, just get healthy!
ValRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #15  

Valrock you are so right!
I am in the UK so I don't know if the cream I use is available wherever you are. It is inexpensive (£5 in UK)and is called Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Firming Butter (tightens skin after pregnancy and weight loss). Even if you don't have it available where you stay, experiment with different creams till you find one that really works. The main thing is to use it daily, believe me it will pay off in the end! Leigh
LighterLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote