Packaged Meals and Clinics - Nutrisystem, Medifast, Jenny Craig, Etc For support and questions about diet meal delivery programs, or weight loss clinics that offer prepackaged meals and products.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:18 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW200+/SW195/CW180/LW147/GW125

Height: 5 feet, 2 inches

Default Interested in trying Nutrisystem?!

Hey Everyone:

I have seen that some people have voiced opinions on NS on this site. It definitely worked for me...no the food does not take like you are eating real chocolate cake or real pizza but keep in mind it still have to help you lose weight people!! Some of the food is gross..but I started off ordering stuff I was pretty confident I would like like the pizzas, the muffins, etc.

It is expensive but they have alot of deals if you look out for them. I got one month for $150. With the normal price it comes out to about $5 per day for food which really is not that bad. When I buy normal healthy food to last it is about $100 for two weeks.

Not sure if anyone has the store BIGLOTS near them but I just found out they sell individual meals of NS there for very cheap--like $.50-$1.00

It works for someone who struggles with food issues like knowing when you are full or know portion control and that is definitely me. So having it lay out that I have to eat 2 veggie servings, a dinner meal, a protein and a fruit makes it easy for me.
katie2689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:05 PM   #2  

Hi Katie, and I agree. It moreso a program to make it EASIER for people whom can't ration, count calories, etc. and is definitely an acquired taste as it is not going to be what your used to. You have to realize you're cutting out all the extra calories though, and if you can bare with it, the program can and will work for you, but that choice is up to the person taking it, not the program.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

My DD started NS in mid December and said most everything she had eaten she liked. She lost about 5 pounds and talked me and DH into trying it. I got my shipment yesterday and we're going to start on Monday.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:48 AM   #4  
pursuer of joy

S/C/G: 198/170ish/160-???

Height: 5.6 on a tall day

The great part of a program like this is that the work has been done for you and prepackaged (except for the added veg I'm advised is necessary). In the short run if you can stick with it and make the "sacrifice" of eating only their foods and getting the weight off, its a positive thing.

The only concerns I have are for people who have to eat a family meal, especially if you are the family meal cooker/planner/provider - it would be hard to sit down with others eating real foods while eating a prepackaged meal. That is what stops me.

Secondly, what does maintenance entail?
124chicksinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:56 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124chicksinger View Post
The great part of a program like this is that the work has been done for you and prepackaged (except for the added veg I'm advised is necessary). In the short run if you can stick with it and make the "sacrifice" of eating only their foods and getting the weight off, its a positive thing.

The only concerns I have are for people who have to eat a family meal, especially if you are the family meal cooker/planner/provider - it would be hard to sit down with others eating real foods while eating a prepackaged meal. That is what stops me.

Secondly, what does maintenance entail?
Granted I'm going to be doing this with DH, but I still have to cook for DS. Last spring, DH and I did Medifast, which made dinners easy because we could all eat together (they have you eat 5 or 6 of their meals and a "lean and green" for dinner. I usually made a big salad and then fixed some meat (chicken or steak for DS, chicken steak or seafood for me and DH).

I'm going to follow a similar strategy with Nutrisystem: I'll make a big salad or other non-starchy vegetable for all three of us, cook some chicken or whatever for DS and DH and I will eat one of our NS meals. I think it'll work fine. I still have to fix breakfast for DS (wow, that boy can eat: 1/2 a cantaloupe, a breakfast burrito, 2 toaster strudels and a glass of OJ). But he eats it in his room so it won't bother me. He eats lunch at school, so that's not a problem either.

And once I get back to goal, my strategy for maintenance will be to continue either with NS or at least similar foods/calories Monday through Thursday and allowing myself a little leeway on the weekends. I did it this way several years ago when I maintained a 35 pound loss for over 2 years.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #6  

Well, just a bit over two weeks into the program and I liked the food quite a bit! And I've lost 7 pounds!
Old 01-25-2012, 05:15 PM   #7  
1 fat guy on a diet

S/C/G: 260/ticker/190

Height: 6'0"

I noticed my Big Lots carries nutrisystem now and I believe the price was 3.00 per meal iirc.
speedofsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedofsound View Post
I noticed my Big Lots carries nutrisystem now and I believe the price was 3.00 per meal iirc.
Big Lots does sell some of their "shelf stable" food. I don't have one around me to check the prices, though. You can also get gift cards through Costco, something like a $100 card for $85 or something like that.