Old 01-21-2012, 06:55 AM   #1  

Default Steel Magnolias #3

Good morning to you all. I am up early this morning, have unloaded and reloaded the dishwasher with the few dishes from snacks last night, fed and watered Fortune and balanced my checkbook. I am going upstairs in about 45 minutes and take a shower and dress to go to the commissary. We have to make a Target and Walmart run to get hair color and Jack a new charging cord for his Iphone. We sure do go through them. The little wires break inside and then they don't work. There isn't anyway to know except they just stop connecting. The stupid things aren't cheap either, I think around $25 for one.

Jean: The name of the book is The Society by a guy named Michael Palmer. He has more than one book out and is an emergency room physician if I read his bio right. The book is interesting as it is about managed health care companies and lots of murder and mayhem in this one! I just downloaded another of his books, so will let you know what I think of that one. Have you ever read any of the Diane Mott Davidson books about the caterer murder mystery series? She is a pretty good read and has some great recipes to boot. Those crunchtime cookies everyone loves so much came from one of her books. I am reading another of her books now too. I am a series gal. I like books that have the same character in them. I need to download The Drop which is a fairly new Michael Connelly book, but it isn't in the free library system and I hate to pay for the darn thing. I am not sure tanning would do me a bit of good other than not making me look like a fish belly. I burn so darn easily, even with sunblock on that I wonder why I am nuts and going to the caribbean for a vacation this year! Boy, it is freezing at your house. I don't envy you. Do you have a lot of snow? Looks like Jay and Alicia have a bunch of snow at their house.

I guess I should get out of here and get something done before we have to head out for the day. You all have a great Saturday! Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #2  

Good Morning, Flowers! It's cloudy, windy, spitting snow, and a cold 1 degree (feels like -11) outside. The squirrels even look cold this morning! Bob is plowing snow for his farmer friend who is out of town. He clears driveways for houses along the lake and a church parking lot. The church calls as needed, and called him last night after he left town. Bob enjoys "playing" with the tractor and loader; I hope he can keep warm this morning. I need to dust and vacuum this morning along with decluttering the island counter . . . again.

"Gma" -- I don't think I've read any of the Diane Mott Davidson books. I do like Michael Connelly and you got me started with him and the Lincoln Lawyer book. Bob thought we got about 5" of snow yesterday. I don't think what is coming down now will accumulate as you can hardly see it. Supposedly, the tanning lady can help anyone tan by using certain lotions and the beds with not-so-hot bulbs. I like those beds better than the hot ones! I can burn, the first time we take our boat out, if we stay out too long or I don't use sunblock. I can tell by using the lotion I have tanned faster than the last place where I didn't use any lotion. Have fun shopping!

I need to get busy! Have a super Saturday and enjoy!

Last edited by Jean; 01-21-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #3  
Thin Within

Talking Simply Saturday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

It is chilly, feels like 14 degrees, today and I am easing into the world. I am not planning on doing much of anything except some glass work this day. Well, maybe the dishes for they have to be done regardless. We leave our back door open off the kitchen so the animals can go outside and it sure makes it chilly to sit at the small kitchen table to eat. We are going to have to start eating all meals in the dining room it seems. The back door doesn't open directly into the kitchen but beside it near the star well door to downstairs but it makes the kitchen area cold unless I have the oven on and am baking something. The cat was crawling in a box that was about 4 inches tall and 24 long. He was having a ball and then Beanie wanted to give it a try and got his head in and got it stuck and it was so funny. If Cecil could laugh I know he would be ha ha-ing at the dog. I have got to figure out what to make for dinner. Right now I don't have a clue and I don't even want to think about it. Maybe after Will gets back with my sf ff vanilla latte I will be more into planning a meal. I forgot to add one item that I ate yesterday to my tracker and remembered it before I went to sleep and lo and behold I remembered to add it this morning to yesterdays talley. I slipped up on writing what I was biting ~ oops. But I made up for it and fixed my records. I ended up giving Beanie the rest of my lunch today for I got full and otherwise it would have gone in the disposal receptacle. Ragg Mopp was asleep elsewhere so didn't get any of that good roast beef.

DONNA FAYE I hope you find all you want and need at your shopping excursion this day. I am so thankful Will does our shopping except for the items I find on line or phone for. I have never liked to shop which is weird for a woman I hear. My sis in law likes to shop till she drops. Yep, the accessories for phones are spendy for sure. Or in that case it is a necessity.

JEAN You got snow and we just got cold. That is so nice of your hubby to clear snow for those who aren't able. With all this cold there still comes the dust. I would think it would take the winter off but things still get covered with that little glaze of it. I love that spray they have that you put on a cloth then the dust clings to it instead of going into the air. That is something that never gets really done for it always comes right back ~ dust. I would have really suffered in the "dust bowl days" when Oklahoma blew away. Did you see on the news awhile back when that big dust cloud was descending on Arizona. I shuddered when I saw that.

Well Magnolias ~ time for me to go check in the freezer and make a decision on what to make for dinner this day. Baked chicken sounds good ~ I'll see what I have.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #4  

Maggie -- on remembering to write what you bite! I am not a shopper either! Perhaps it is because the only stores in town are WM, Walgreens, Mexican stores, a Hallmark store, and two jewelry stores. I really hate to need clothes for something special and need to look for an appropriate outfit. I do like to meander through specialty shops in big cities though. Baked chicken does sound good . . . maybe tomorrow! I'm off to read, catch the news, and head for bed. See you all tomorrow!
Old 01-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #5  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! It is considerably warmer today at 31 degrees, but it is foggy and misting outside. There is NO wind for a nice change of pace. We've been to early church, came home and read the papers, then went out for a chicken dinner. I'm done eating for the day! I've got laundry going and need to start seriously going through my summer clothes.

I need to get busy or the day will be gone before I know it. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 01-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #6  

Good afternoon, ladies! It's a cold drizzly day today - 34 degrees right now.

Time is really flying for me with working so much. We've had people out sick at JH so they asked me to work more and I have. Doesn't leave much time for anything else.

I'm trying an experiment for this week and following the WW Power Start menu for this week. That way I don't need to think about food. I spent the morning cooking ahead for the days I get home late and preping salad things. I'm following the green Smart Choices tracker.

Jean, if I plan my meals in advance, I eat what I planned. It works better for me that way. Eating on the fly = no loss or very tiny loss for me. I'm hoping for no snow this winter.

Maggie, I'd forgotten all about the cottage cheese salad recipe. I'll be making it soon. I added it to my cookbook. There is a new WW cookbook out and for the live of me I can't think of the name right now but something like Best Ever Comfort Foods. It's sold at meetings only on maybe the shopping for WW online. It looks pretty good and I meant to buy one yesterday but we were so busy weighing I forgot.

Faye, I like Diane Mott's books and have read all of them. Have you read any of Joanne Fluke's? They are similar. I have a lot of things with chargers and haven't had to replace any of them yet (fingers crossed). One For the Money comes out on Friday - can't wait!

Another busy week coming up. Have a great evening.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #7  

Good morning to you all! It was really warm here yesterday and by late evening we had one heck of a storm blow through here. Jack got up at around 11 because the tornado sirens were going off big time and we put the tv on, which because of our satellite would come in and out, but after the power went out, then came back on a bit later, we were able to get what we needed to know. It was raining so hard, I couldn't even open the back door without getting a face full of blowing rain. I didn't see any hail like they were expecting though. It is all quiet out there now, but considerably chillier.

Got the commissary shopping done, came home and unloaded and put away then out we went to Target and to Walmart to get stuff. Jack found a great phone charger that the wiring is actually up in the plug rather than ending at it. I know it sounds confusing, but Jack told me what it is called when it is done that way, but I can't remember. Anyway, what would happen with our chargers is the tiny wires inside the cord right at the end of the plugs would break from stress then it would quit charging when you plugged it into the phone. This one has a flat cable instead of round and like I said the wiring goes up into the plug instead of ending at the plug so there is no stress. I am going to get myself one next payday or on Thursday when I am out. They have them at Target for around $20, cheaper than the Apple ones. We also bought a bunch of movies to take with us to Chattanooga since the hotel has a dvd player in the room. We did watch "The Smurfs" last night and that was a cute movie. My larder is now full of great healthy food, lots of fruit for me and no junk food. Not that we have junk food in the house for the most part unless Jack is dying for something, but I had gotten low on a lot of stuff and just needed to restock.

Susan: I am probably going to have to wait until "One for the Money" comes out on dvd. It is not something Jack would enjoy at all. I am wondering how the gal who plays Lula will do. In my minds eye reading the book, she is chubbier and a whole lot more trashy that the trailer looks, but let me know what you think. The books are becoming a bit dull and rehashed I think, just like any author that does a series and runs out of new ideas. Take it easy working so much. Don't want you ending up in the hospital again.

Maggie: I pretty much plan what I am going to eat for the day, put it in my spreadsheet and not veer from it so I don't over eat. It is the best way for me to stay OP I think and we always follow the menus I make for the two weeks. I think our biggest problems would be takeout/restaurant eating and buying something fatty and bringing it in, which we rarely do anymore. My weight is up, but mainly because the cold I had from Christmas until a week ago and combined with the pain and stuff from what is going on with me pretty much zapped me and Jack was cooking or mostly bringing stuff in, which is a sure way for me to gain weight. I am over the cold though of course the pain is pretty much constant nagging to intense and has been for a couple months now instead of on and off, but I just try and control it best i can with some Advil and am back on eating healthy and cooking our meals.

Jean: I think Jack said we are down to 34 weeks until vacation now. We should get our tax refund next week and I will finish paying for the cruise and stuff then and we will be set with a lot of it anyway. We picked out the colors we are gonna paint the downstairs now so I hope to go to Home Depot this weekend and get the paint chips so I can take them to Chattanooga and maybe buy some pillows or something to go in the living room. We have decided since our space is so crazy and right now I feel like we are living in some old used furniture shop with the way we have our furniture arranged with the craziness, we are going to get rid of our full length couch and get what Lazy Boy calls a sleeper chair, which is about the size of an apartment sized couch instead of full length. It has a twin size sleeper in it in case the boys are ever here since we are going to eventually make the upstairs bedroom into a closet so there won't be a guest bedroom up there anymore. Since we just bought the double recliner (which I hate btw) a few months ago, we have to keep it and it is dark blue so I am going with a blue/maroon/yellow plaid couch that will really go well with the paint color and the recliner. None of this is going to start until next year and it will be slow going as we can only do with the money we have since I refuse to go into debt to do any of this work. I don't want it hanging over our head when Jack retires.

Well, I see it is 6:30 so I best get in the kitchen and get the dishwasher unloaded and reloaded and decide on food for today. Have a grand start to your week and keep warm everybody!!!! Faye

Last edited by gma22; 01-23-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:16 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon, Flowers! We had some freezing drizzle during the night and then snow on top so it was slippery this morning. We should have had a school late start but didn't. We did count church money later so the streets had had traffic by the time I left. I went to tan afterwards, picked up the gift shop money, and am home for the rest of the day.

Susan -- I hope your drizzle didn't turn to ice! You are smart to cook food ahead, but then I knew you are one smart gal! Let us know how the Power Start menu works for you. I'm going to look for both authors the next time I visit the library. I bought a couple of paperbacks, for the plane, and have been reading a book I forgot I had.

"Gma" -- Sorry to hear about your exciting weather. I saw on the weather map that things were not too calm in your area. It's good you found a better phone cord. Our phones have different hook ups, but can use the same wall plug which is handy. We bought a Lazy Boy loveseat and it is the most uncomfortable piece of furniture we've ever owned. I can hardly wait to replace it. Bob usually sits on it, then lays one way, sits again, then lays the other way. Ernie and I get the recliner! Furniture is so expensive I dread shopping for it.

I came upstairs to get my laptop so need to get the gift shop money counted and ready to deposit. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:42 PM   #9  
Thin Within

Talking Marvelous Monday

GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is cold today but the wind isn't blowing. Will just got back with the dogs fresh from the groomer and Cecil gave Beanie a slap across the face ~ guess he chastized him for being gone. Ah but the boys smell good. I am up a pound this day and guess that is par for the course. I ate some of the weekly plus-points we are allowed this past week and guess I should just leave them alone for the most part. I'll try to not use them this week and see how it goes for I have been writing all I bite and charging myself the proper amount of points-plus. So this is one of the things I should expect to happen for it always happened before when I was really following program. I'll just bash on regardless. The swelling has gone down on Will's ankle and his foot feels lots better and he gets to go to the doctor this afternoon. He needs to find out the cause of what happened. I could bet that the doc tells him he needs to wear arch supports in his shoes or go back to wearing those cowboy boots that have such high arches in them that he wore for years. We will know more this afternoon after the appointment, hopefully. The roast that I cooked all day in my crock pot yesterday was a tough one. I am going to cut it up in very small cubes and put in some veggie soup. That was some tough cow. I can use the veggies I cooked along with it in the soup and it will be yummy.

DONNA FAYE Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have your pantry full of "good for you" food. Hopefully your upcoming procedure will eliminate your suffering and you can have better quality of your days. Will belongs to an on line book trading place and we get what we want to read from there. He found that book we sent to Jean on one of his used book places and it was in new shape. We don't mind reading used books at all for they have all come in great shape. You put what book you are searching for and the person that has it will notify you and if you want it they will send it to you. You post books you want to trade and when someone wants it you send it and you get credits and so it goes. Will had so many credits stored up that he was able to get the book for Jean. It is a real neat system. We get what we want to read and then put it back in the system if we don't want to keep it we then get credits for them to get more books. Someone out there in that program usually has what we are searching for and someone wants our books we have posted also. That's why it is called "swap."

JEAN We didn't get any snow and not much rain out of this last batch of clouds come our way. Be ever so careful on those roads. It's the other person you have to watch out for at least that is what happens here. We are ever thankful we have that Rubicon.

SUSAN I imagine that the web site will have that new book posted on it soon. They usually post things of that nature a few days after they come out at the centers. I will keep an eye out for it for you know how I love the new cook books. I love the POWER FOODS cook book. I have lots of tags on pages that have recipes in them that I want to fix first. That "Quick Gazpacho" on page 245 is yummy if you like that sort of thing. It makes a serving for 6 but easy to cut the recipe down. I make the whole recipe for it does keep well in the fridge. There are several recipes that are for a serving of 6 and I cut them in half and I eat one serving and Will has the other two. I will be looking for the new cookbook for sure.

EAT UP
To stay satiated, eat three similarly caloric meals and one or more planned snacks daily.

[u] SLEEP TO LOSE WEIGHT[\u]
Here's an easy diet tip: go to bed. Research suggests that how much you sleep (and how well) may help hormonal activity tied to your appetite.

DISTANCE YOURSELF FROM FOOD
Walk away from the snack table at work or your kitchen counter or pantry. Don't fill your cupboards at home with sweet snacks. Live the adage "Out of sight, out of mind." (And off your hips!)

Everyone have a lovely afternoon. Type at y'all later.

Last edited by Maggie; 01-23-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:38 PM   #10  

Maggie -- You will have the pound gone along with a friend or two by next weigh in! This was a bad eating weekend for me; I just wanted to eat . . . period. I appreciate Will finding the book for me; he has such good luck doing that! Great strategy tips today! If only we didn't have to eat, life would be so simple! I have a dishwasher to unload and a kitchen table with the mail sorted into piles that I need to clear off. I have a haircut in the morning and need to make a WM run for Ernie food. See you all tomorrow!
Old 01-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #11  

Just a quick one as I leave one job and go to the other today. 60 degrees and sunshine right now. I love it.

Have a great day and we'll all see progress on the downward spiral of the scale next week.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #12  

Just a quick peek in since I got in here so late. I am working really hard on the blanket so I can get the thing mailed the ned of next week and sometimes it sabotages me I think!

I colored my hair just a bit ago and noticed I missed a tiny spot on my side hairline. Oh well, it will be hidden more than likely. I hate having to color my hair, but letting it grow out natural for now is out of the question. I just can't face what it will look like. I will be a red and white striped zebra I am afraid!

Jean: I hate the darn recliner and always have. Jack loves it. I think the part where it hits you at the back of your thighs is really uncomfortable and seems awfully thin there. I would say it is my weight, but Jack seems to have the same problem and when you put the leg kick up, you tilt downwards. We paid too much to get rid of it so I have to put a blanket on it to cushion it. Before I order the couch you can bet I am going to sit on it awhile. Glad you have your errands run and are back home all safe and sound. When do you guys leave for Hawaii???

Susan: Sounds like you are one busy chickadee at the moment!

Maggie: Weight goes up and down a bit so what can you do??? Just do the best you can all the time I guess. I imagine my dr will have something to say with the extra lbs I have put on, but I plan on being perfectly blunt and telling her between being sick and being stressed about tests results and the upcoming surgery, eating is the least of my worries. I have been doing fine this week, but it is always a struggle for me when I get off track.

Well gals, this is short and sweet, but I need to get my asparagus fixed up to put in the oven in a bit. We are having white meat turkey roast, mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus for dinner tonight.

Have a nice afternoon. Faye
Old 01-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #13  
Thin Within

Talking Titalating Tuesday

GOOD AFTERNOON MAGNOLIAS

Another chilly day here in the Heartland but after all it is winter. I received my order from the glass factory and now I need to get to building something. I hate to start something when I don't have all the ingredients to finish it so was waiting to receive some needed items. Now I will be on a roll. I have yet to decide which building of the village I want to make next. I am thinking of doing the court house.

Will came home from the doctor yesterday and said "You were right." My diagnosis of his problem was the correct one ~ wear arch supports or cowboy boots. He wore cowboy boots for years and never had any foot pains. This all started when he shifted to wearing shoes. Even though he wears good ones they just don't have the proper support for his high arches. The foot doctor said there are not many people with as high an arch as Will has. His shoes weren't giving him the correct support. The special arch support to put in shoes would cost as much or more than a special made pair of boots so guess what Will opted for. The boots of course. Too bad his cowboy packers got stolen. Those are spendy but they are made to order and have a life time guarantee of fixing them back to exact if any part wears out. Now Will just has to use the patterns they will send and measure his foot in several places and make a foot print so they can start building him a pair. The guy that stole those boots was probably really surprised when he found out what size they were ~ 11 5E with extra high arches. Big foot. But with the lace ups it was hard to tell about the arch until he slipped his feet into them. Probably couldn't walk in them.

One day Will is going to learn that if it dangles on his desk the cat will play with it. He left his ear bud hanging over a small lamp on his desk and Cecil must have found it and batted it around and now it is gone. Gone ~ one day it may turn up but in the meantime Will needs it to use his phone hands free. It is just the small clear soft plastic end piece that is gone and Cecil probably dropped it down for Beanie and he will eat anything. I see now that Will has gone his door is closed. That cat will get on his desk and clear it in no time. He is almost 6 months old now and we can get him fixed. I think we have decided on having his front feet de-clawed because he has been so creative with them lately and we certainly don't want him to scratch Beanie in the eyeball when they are just playing rough and tumble.

DONNA FAYE Your doctor will surely understand why you didn't lose weight. The experts always say to not to try to lose weigh when you are in such pain. Trying to maintain is hard enough during times as those. Your dinner sounds yummy. Asparagus is one of my main most favorite veggies. I like the fresh baked and also like Green Giant's spears right out of the can. We used to pick it wild in the ditches out in CA when I was a kid. We also had a creek a few steps from the house that had neat growing things along the banks. What a fun place for kids to grow up.

SUSAN Looks like you are keeping busy which is a good thing. How is your foot doing these days?

JEAN Did your hair cut turn out to your satisfaction? I sure like the last one I got for it is so easy to keep.

PSYCH UP
The biggest asset in the battle of the bulge is your brain. You can fool yourself (and your body) into losing weight with these tips:

CREATE A PRETTY PRESENTATION
Sometimes the worst part about dieting is the repetition of meals. here's an idea to make each meal special: Serve your meals on beautiful dishes. Instead of eating fat-free yogurt out of the container, spoon it into a parfait glass and top it with colorful berries. Or get out your vest china for your morning bowl of oatmeal. After all, treating your body right is the biggest special occasion of all.

MAKE YOUR OWN PORTION GUIDE
Use common, recognizable items, like a tube of lipstick, your cell phone, or your hand-held electronic organizer. Match food portions to these common items. for example, an ounce of cheese is about the size of a tube of lipstick. This will help you eyeball foods and approximate their portion size.

All y'all have a lovely day.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #14  

Good Evening Flowers! I headed this direction earlier today but got sidetracked somehow. It was a strange weather day with some fog, a bit of bright sunshine, and raindrops falling this evening. It's only 23 degrees so I imagine it might be freezing. Bob is at the office playing catch up and Ernie has gone to bed so all is quiet.

Susan -- I am jealous of your 60 degree weather! Lucky you! You are a busy gal these days. How is your foot/feet?

"Gma" -- I'm anxious to see the blanket picture when you finish. I just hope the new mother appreciates your work. I at you looking like a red and white zebra! Our recliner is too big/long for me; it has 3 separate cushions on the back and I usually flip the top one one on over the back. Otherwise I will get a stiff neck if I sit there too long. We leave Monday afternoon for Omaha and fly out Tuesday at 6 AM. This time next week we will be landing there if all goes on schedule.

Maggie -- Where were Will's cowboy boots when they were stolen? When we bought Jason's first pair of white high top baby shoes, we went to an expensive shoe store. He ended up with an FF width and the clerk jokingly said, "that stands for Fat Feet!" His feet grew first and then he finally grew into them in junior high. I don't think he takes FF any more; I should ask him. I'll bet Cecil and Beanie were in cahoots concerning Will's earbud. This losing weight is most definitely a psych game! I know we eat a lot of the same things and get in a boring rut by doing so.

It's time to wind down for the day. I think I will read for a bit, catch the 10:00 news, and head for bed. I'm working in the gift shop in the morning so need to get up and get going early. See you all tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 01-24-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:41 AM   #15  

Good morning to you all! I haven't heard a word about my ct scan so I am assuming by this time that the dr has the report and that it all looks good. I am going to the hospital first thing tomorrow morning and do the pre-admin stuff to get it out of the way, then take Fortune for his shot and then on to the salon and get my hair cut. I need to go by the store and get bread too.

It is raining this morning and quite chilly though it should warm up into the 50's later on today. We have had a pretty warm winter and for us it won't be long until we will start warming up for spring, about 6 weeks or so and I am looking forward to that for sure.

I have to say I will be glad to have this blanket done. It has been a pain to deal with, more so than most projects. I hope to get a square done and another one started today. I only have 4 squares to finish and then I am done. I have been sewing them together as I finish a square so won't have to do all that when I finish them all. I do want to find some bows or buttons or something to jazz it up a bit and make it a bit more girly. Like I said it is a small blanket like a stroller blanket.

Jean: Wow, you don't have much time and you will be in wonderful warm weather. I hope you all have a grand time. The funny part of the blanket business is that I am not very fond of the person I am making it for and have worked harder on it than for people I really like! Jack said to me when I told him that, "You are just the kind of person who does your best no matter what so don't worry about it."

Maggie: You wonderful what someone else is going to do with Will's boots unless they fit perfectly and if they had any age to them at all had conformed to Will's foot and walk and wouldn't be comfortable for someone else. You can't ever leave anything hanging with a cat that's for sure. They see it as toy central. We had butterscotch's front claws removed and never regretted it. Of course, he had torn up the carpet in front of each door upstairs for some reason! I take asparagus and sprinkle olive oil, minced garlic and that powdered parmesaan cheese and marinate it all day then roast it in the oven. It comes out all crispy and yummy.

I guess I should get some breakfast and get the day going. I have dusting to do upstairs today and need to put clothing away, but then I can concentrate on getting knitting done.

Have a good middle of the week. Hopefully your weather isn't too bad where you are. Faye