Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 241/173/140

Height: 5"6

Default I suck at exercising :( Advice please!

Yesterday, I tried Jillian Michael's 30 day shred and I could not get through the Level 1 work out! Now,I would be okay with this if I could think of this as my starting point and had any confidence that, with time, I would be able to do the work out properly. BUT my biggest problem is that I am a wimp! The second I feel any sort of pain or discomfort, I cannot push past it.
Hard to describe but -- whenever I try to up the intensity of a workout, it's like my body "checks out" and I just start to slow down. I become convinced that the pain is unbearable (it is not!) and that my pace is not sustainable.

So far, this inability to work out properly hasn't stalled my weight loss, but I am afraid it will soon. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this? Any advice?

Last edited by brkfstclbgrl; 02-05-2013 at 05:21 PM.
brkfstclbgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #2  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

Trust me, lots of people are unable to finish level 1 the first time. I am about 10 days in and I can now do everything (barley) except the pushups. When I first started, I couldn't get through anything other then the jumping jacks. But that's okay! What I do to progress is when I start to feel the burn and like I want to just stop, I do it for 5 more seconds and then I stop. Even tho 5 seconds does not seem like much, it has helped me progress and each time I do the video, I get a little bit farther. Okay that's a lie. I'm shocked that I'm almost ready for level 2 when just 2 weeks ago I spent more time pausing stupid level 1 than I did actually doing it!
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/155

Height: 5'3"

You should try intervals. I started C25K and it's basically alternating jogging and walking for the first few weeks until you can build up endurance. The first day of C25K I did, I only got through the first 5 minute walk and then about another 10 minutes of the jog/walk/jog part. I hate to push myself too much either because I feel like I'll just start dreading working out, but if I tell myself 'OK it's only a minute of jogging, I can do it, and then I can walk and relax a bit' it ends up helping. I do the same when I use the elliptical - I do short intense bursts every 5 or so minutes.

The way I see it, for just starting out and hating exercise as much as I do, it's good that I'm doing anything at all. I'll get there eventually, it just might take time.
Michi702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:42 PM   #4  
say what?

Height: 5'6"

I agree with Michi, do something with intervals. And build up slow. Exercise does not HAVE to hurt. You don't even have to get uncomfortable. This idea that you have to work yourself to a sweat from day 1 till day 1000 is nonsense.

If you dread working out so much, start with simple, low intensity stuff that gets you moving. Go for long walks. Get on the elliptical at a very low resistance for only 5 minutes at a time. Build it up until you know for yourself you can do more than sit still. Chances are that eventually you will want to push yourself a bit further everytime, because if you can do this, maybe you can do that? And then after that maybe...

Goodluck! And please, don't do stuff you hate.
philana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #5  
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

Just about everyone sucks at exercise when they first begin or even when they're well into it. I don't like pain either. You don't have to feel pain to exercise. Try something you like. I'd never do the 30 day shred-it's just not for me. And remember if you overdo the exercise you may be too sore and stiff for several days to do any exercise. Build up and don't get discouraged and remember you're not on the Biggest Loser where you only have a tv season to lose weight. Pick something you'll want to do the rest of your life. You can do it!
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #6  
Every pound is a victory

S/C/G: 263/147/?

Height: 5' 6"

30DS is hard. You have to build up to doing it all. I would probably suggest starting with a different workout for a month or two, and then try level one again. At that point, even if you can't get through level one all at once, you can keep working at it. Everyone has a hard time with exercising at first--just don't give up!
rainydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #7  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

The trend right now is to make exercise short and sweet, but HARD. That is so not necessary. Walking every day, increasing your pace over time is perfectly fine exercise. Exercise should not be painful. if it is, you won't continue with it. I just don't get that mindset.

Find something you enjoy doing and do it, challenging yourself to do a few minutes more or something. or get yourself a pedometer or heart rate monitor or even a fitbit, bodybugg, or bodymedia thing like bodybugg to help you push yourself little by little.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #8  

I just wanted to thank you all for the the helpful advice!

Candeka - You give me hope! I attempted to do Day 2 today, and my arms KILLED... but I think I'm going to give this work out at least a week before giving up.

Thank you for the suggestion re: interval training, Michi702 and philana. I think I will look for an exercise video that incorporates this.

Thanks for the encouragement, retiredone.

And rainydays, I think I will try to hack it for a week or so, but if it still sucks, I will definitely be taking your advice lol

berryblondeboys, i definitely get what you're saying. i guess i am just worrying because my 'exercise routine' thus far has been 45 min on the elliptical, not even breaking a sweat. i guess on some level i do expect that exercise should be hard, you know? the heart rate monitor idea is great.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #9  
Katrina

S/C/G: 162/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I bought a heart rate monitor and I love it. I burn about 180 calories doing the 30DS. I hate working out and I love to get it out of the way, that's why I'm sticking with the shred. Plus, after day 3 it does get easier. Day 3 is horrible, but please don't give up until at least a week.

Another thing that helps me get through it is instead of doing both the arm and leg exercises at the same time, I do just one of them. The side lunge and anterior raises are very very difficult for me. I stopped trying to do both those moves at once and solely focused on the anterior raises since those were my biggest weakness. I am finally able to do all of the raises, so I started incorporating the side lunges as well now. I would much rather suffer for 20 minutes then do something easier for 45... but I get bored of things very very easily (I blame my ADHD for that lol!)
Candeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I suggest setting a goal and going for it each and every time you set out to exercise. That way, your body can't check out. Perhaps a goal is to get through 1/2 hour of your DVD workout. Then you can not quit until you reach that. Or perhaps your goal is to walk 1 mile. Walking is actually fantastic (for many reasons) but also because once you walk .5 mile out you HAVE to walk .5 mile back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryblondeboys View Post
The trend right now is to make exercise short and sweet, but HARD. That is so not necessary. Walking every day, increasing your pace over time is perfectly fine exercise. Exercise should not be painful. if it is, you won't continue with it. I just don't get that mindset.

Find something you enjoy doing and do it, challenging yourself to do a few minutes more or something. or get yourself a pedometer or heart rate monitor or even a fitbit, bodybugg, or bodymedia thing like bodybugg to help you push yourself little by little.
I'm so glad you wrote this. I love really hard, grueling exercise myself, but the truth is a mile is a mile whether you walk it or run it. I've heard it burns the same calories either way. It just takes longer to walk it.

I've watched a couple walk my neighborhood every morning this past year through rain, sleet, snow, and sun. I've also watched both of them slim down. It's fun seeing them every day as I come back from the gym. I'm paying good money...they're getting it for free. Same result.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 294/267.4/154

Height: 5'6"

Default Great Advice!

I just joined 3 fat chicks today and I am so excited! All of the post I just read on just this one thread is enough to inspire me to do better tomorrow during my work out. Thank you all for the great inspiration and sound advice to people like myself who have a hard time making it through a full workout without giving up or pooping out prematurely.
MzMoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #12  
Warrior Princess

30DS is really difficult. I failed miserably at it too because I am SO out of shape I felt that I was going to pass out. I decided it would be a better idea to start out with with other types of exercise that are less strenuous until I build up some endurance. Once I get into a little better shape I will try 30DS again.
novangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 04:26 PM   #13  

Thanks for advice ladies! I did the workout again today, and it wasn't that bad (or maybe that's just in my head lol).

For me, 30 Day shred is something I do in addition to the Leslie Sansone walking videos -- so I definitely know the power of walking, Eliana. You are right, it should definitely not be overlooked.

Candeka - I promised myself no more fitness gear, but I might have to lift the bend the rule just long enought to get a heart rate monitor lol.

MzMoMo - I am new to posting on here as well! It's a really supprotive place, I think

novangel - Building up to 30DS sounds smart. I have had this video for awhile. but kept postponing it and doing other exerises instead, hoping that i could increase my overall fitness level before doing 30DS. it was still hard tho - haha.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 215/163/135

Height: 5'4"

Heart rate monitors are a great idea if you are a "need feedback!" kind of person. I use mine all the time!

I find when I am truly starting over and need to find the courage to tackle "real" workouts again, I jump on my mountain bike or I go skiing (depending on the season). Those are outdoorsy things that I love that I don't consider "exercise". It gives me some physical confidence and the drive to improve. Doing something that you like is key!
Erinyes74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #15  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

If you are just starting out, your biggest prob is jumping into 30 Day shred -- NOT that you are a wimp.

www.collagevideo.com rates that as advanced.

I'd cruise thru the listings and look for something at beginner level. There isn't anything wrong with starting to exercise at the beginning and work your way up to advanced.

You aren't supposed to be dog tired broken after a workout either. A "light sheen" is fine -- and get a heart rate monitor if you want to track your progress more accurately. Sometimes a bad mood can color your feelings about a workout and make it seem something more or less than was it was on the HRM.

GL!
A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote