Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

Default Opinions about weighing in every morning!

Hi guys!!

I only realized this morning that there is a form for 30 somethings!

As for me, I'm Jenn, Canadian and on a journey to lose about 50-60 lbs. I'm a calorie counter and doing cardio and yoga 6 days a week. So far, I've lost 15 lbs and I've never felt better!

But, I have a question for you ladies regarding weighing in. I don't currently weight in every day and wanted to know your input on this. I weigh in probably 3 times a week just to make sure that things are headed in the right direction.

Just want to know your personal preferences and if you find there is any benefit to weighing in daily, weekly or stretching it as a long as a month!

Thanks in advance! I'm looking forward to getting to know you all better.
JennaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #2  
Fit by Forty!

S/C/G: 220/209/150

Height: 5'5"

Looks like weighing in every three days is working for you, so I wouldn't change anything. Great job on your weight loss.

For me, I weigh in every morning. I find it is motivating for me. If the scale is up, I make sure I'm focused on healthy eating throughout the day. If the scale is down, I get excited and want to continue to do well. For me, it works well both ways. But I know for others it can be discouraging and they find it better to just weigh in weekly.
LisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #3  
Sarah

S/C/G: 350/184/180

Height: 6'

I used to weigh once a week. But now like you, I do 3-4 times. It motivates me to want to see the scale constantly go down. And with all the daily fluctuations that happens, it seems to be one of the best ways to track my weight.
baker23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #4  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

So long as you're able to accept the inevitable daily fluctuations in weight due to water, stomach contents, etc. then there's really nothing wrong with weighing regularly. The problem comes when people see an increase on the scale overnight and start panicking/reacting to this number. It can be very motivating to keep seeing that number drop and can serve as a reminder to keep yourself on track.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #5  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutt View Post
So long as you're able to accept the inevitable daily fluctuations in weight due to water, stomach contents, etc. then there's really nothing wrong with weighing regularly.
Agree, agree, agree.
Nothing keeps me more motivated than being able to see tangible daily results when I'm 100% on track, even if I'm losing tiny fractions of a lb a day.

That being said, I've learned not to freak out about suddenly shooting up a lb overnight. For those people who are horrifically disheartened by this possibility (or rather, eventual inevitability), I would avoid daily weigh-ins like the plague.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217/ticker/115

Height: 5'0"

I'm a daily weigher because I like to track my fluctuation patterns. By doing so, I've been able to predict my TOM fluctuations, which frustrated me for a long time. But as others have said, weighing daily takes a lot of patience and understanding...the up times can be very frustrating, especially in the beginning.
dogdaysofdiets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

Thanks for all the replies.

I have somewhat of an obsessive personality and I think that weighing in every day would only make me obsessive negatively about my gains/losses. 3 times a week seems to be working for me since I'm not influenced by variations as much!!
JennaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:30 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

I officially weigh in on Fridays as far as my ticker and my tracking spreadsheet go, but I do jump on the scale almost every day. I don't worry about little fluctuations up and down, but I do tend to get irritated when I will be X on Friday, then X-3 on Tuesday then X-1.5 on Friday again. I feel like I gained, even though I lost.

I know it's just a weekly flux thing, but when I start getting mad about my weigh ins because I was lower earlier in the week is when I start having to put my scale away and only weigh on Friday for a while. Then I'm happy about 1.5 lost rather than mad because I was lower earlier.
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:01 PM   #9  

i weigh in almost every day..i feel it helps keep me accountable and i've learned not to freak out about the daily flux that do happen from time to time..the pros outweigh the cons (imo)
Ruslana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 206/165/140

Height: 5' 5.75''

I weigh daily and log it on live strong with my meals. I love the trend line it shows.
Aunrio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #11  
is a persistent thistle

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/133

Height: 5'6"

I'm another daily weigher. I'm actually quite glad that I have been from the start because I don't think I would know my own patterns as well as I do had I not been keeping an eye on them.

Doing what works for you is the best way to go. If you're comfortable with three times a week than three times a week it is.
Thistleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/146

Height: 5ft 3in

I sometimes weigh mire than once a week to try to motivate myself, my real weigh in is Thursday's and that's the only one I count
Crawlil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:00 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

I'm a daliy weigher ... I try to do it at the same time each morning .... (at the same point in my morning routine) ....
HMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 AM   #14  
Shrinking Chick

S/C/G: 288/ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzie View Post
I officially weigh in on Fridays as far as my ticker and my tracking spreadsheet go, but I do jump on the scale almost every day. I don't worry about little fluctuations up and down, but I do tend to get irritated when I will be X on Friday, then X-3 on Tuesday then X-1.5 on Friday again. I feel like I gained, even though I lost.
^^Me too! It happened just last week. Down 2 pounds midweek, but only 0.6 pounds by Saturday weigh in. Happily, I caught up this week - down 1.4 pounds. :
Riddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 240/232/175

Height: 5' 6"

This is a great question!

I have a strong pull to weigh myself every day, but found that I easily get discouraged if I've gained weight from the previous day. When I was on Weight Watchers, weekly weigh-in's worked (and felt) best for me.

Quite honestly - now that I'm "on the wagon" again to losing weight, I will probably step on the scale a few times per week just to make sure I'm on the right track.

I also weigh myself first thing in the morning - before eating, after using the bathroom, and right before I step into the shower... especially now that it's winter, because fuzzy pj's DO weigh more than summer cotton ones!
Nimue Rose is offline   Reply With Quote