Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-20-2012, 12:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 137/Ticker/110

Height: 5'4.5

Unhappy I'm so stupid

I ate around 2000 calories today. And yesterday it was 2000+ How am I going to lose weight like that? Jeez, it is already difficult enough for me, because I'm so impatient about everything and about losing weight as well. And now I'm slowing it down!

Guys, do you think it's possible to lose weight (to burn more calories than consumed) by eating 2000 calories? I mean occasionally eating 2000 (or a bit more) calories, but not everyday. Or will I really slow down the process? I do exercise everyday (for 30 minutes (Jillian Michaels; Tracy Anderson dvd's, ballet dvd's and running for 30 minutes and sometimes rope jumping for 20 minutes) and I go to school on my bike (it takes about 15 minutes to get there).

Last edited by damiilya; 01-20-2012 at 12:55 PM.
damiilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

That depends on your metabolism and what you're burning. Is it possible? Sure.

But none of this makes you stupid. You're adjusting to a new plan. There will be blips. Beating yourself up over them is absolutely counterproductive. If your plan is to stick to X number of calories, do your best every day to stick to it, and tweak things until sticking to it is something you can do consistently. And most important, let go of the times you don't stick to it...learn from them, and move on.

One thing that's really useful for me when I eat more calories than I intended is to look at WHAT I ate, so I can see if I ate something that triggers me to eat more. Refined flour and sugar, for example, are foods that don't fill me up, so I get calories but I'm still hungry. If I eat lean protein, whole grains, veggies, and fruit, I'm much more likely to stay in my calorie range. So you might look at your diet to see if there is anything you can modify to make sticking to your plan more sustainable.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:06 PM   #3  
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
That depends on your metabolism and what you're burning. Is it possible? Sure.

But none of this makes you stupid. You're adjusting to a new plan. There will be blips. Beating yourself up over them is absolutely counterproductive. If your plan is to stick to X number of calories, do your best every day to stick to it, and tweak things until sticking to it is something you can do consistently. And most important, let go of the times you don't stick to it...learn from them, and move on.

One thing that's really useful for me when I eat more calories than I intended is to look at WHAT I ate, so I can see if I ate something that triggers me to eat more. Refined flour and sugar, for example, are foods that don't fill me up, so I get calories but I'm still hungry. If I eat lean protein, whole grains, veggies, and fruit, I'm much more likely to stay in my calorie range. So you might look at your diet to see if there is anything you can modify to make sticking to your plan more sustainable.
Excellent advice and post. Can't say anything more but ditto.
berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

I'd say it's possible at a higher weight and/or a much higher activity level, but at your current height/weight and 30 minutes of exercise, probably not. An occasional high calorie day probably won't *stop* you from losing weight, though it will surely slow down the process. But 2000 calories a day on a regular basis is probably going to keep you where you are. If you find you can't push your calories down consistently, I'd start increasing your exercise to an hour a day and see if that helps.

Though Mandalinn's right; none of this makes you stupid, just human.

Last edited by thistoo; 01-20-2012 at 01:35 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #5  

Hehe, thanks guys. I still can't stick to my planned calorie intake. I want it to be no more than 1700 calories per day. But it's so difficult because of my dinner. My mom often gets angry at me if I don't eat dinner. Because sometimes I eat a bit too much of other things and if I eat dinner I'll be over my 1700 calories. And on some days I can't stand this tension between me and my mom and just eat.
To tell you the truth if I could I wouldn't eat dinner at all, because throughout the day I eat quite healthy, so it's not really necessary to eat dinner for me. As it's often a quite big dish..

Maybe I'm wrong about all this, though.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #6  
Don't give up.

S/C/G: 195/195/165

Height: 5'0"

Just because you slipped up doesn't mean you're stupid. This is a marathon, not a sprint and so learning how to hang in there for the long haul is part of the process. The longer you stick with it, the more patient and disciplined you will become.

Have you tried keeping a visual track of your caloric intake and output to track your progress that way and keep you motivated? Maybe, on the days when you slip up by eating too much, you could increase your exercise that day? It might help train you to be self-aware or it might help offset the extra calories.

Hang in there. We all make mistakes and it takes time to break the bad habits that have brought us to our weight problems.
neon_zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 181/139/120

Height: 5'3.5"

Does your mother expect you to eat a certain amount of dinner or could you just dip out small portions?

I agree with everyone else who said that you aren't stupid though. Everyone makes mistakes from time to time. If losing weight were easy, no one would be overweight/obese/etc.. =)
Nadya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:35 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 283/see ticker/180?

Height: 5'9"

Maybe you could eat half of Mom's dinner and save half for lunch the next day? Or can you get your mom to buy into your plan?

There's a lot of "food = love" thinking out there (plus a lot of less savory reasons that other people may sabotage others' weight loss efforts). It may be that your mom, especially if she is not well-informed about what you're eating and what you need, honestly worries that you are not eating enough.

And I too echo that you're not stupid : ) We all have days when we slip up.
guynna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 AM   #9  

I'll follow all your advises, thanks a lot! (:
And you're totally right, there are always days when something goes not the way you wanted, so I won't give up! And today I weighed myself, and I lost 4 lbs in one week! But I'm sure it's all water weight, hehe, well, but it is something!