Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Default Itchy 'Ticker' Finger

This is going to be a silly one. I've lately become obsessed with wanting to update my Ticker. The readings on the scale are about 4 pounds lower than what my Ticker shows. But I'm so worried about the fluctuations in weight and I don't want to lower it only to have to raise it again. It would be depressing for me. But I'm so close to my 10 pound goal! So I want to show it and see it on my screen, but don't want to do it prematurely. It's like sort of being obsessed by stepping on the scale every morning. I think about updating the Ticker every morning. Can't wait till I've sort of settled into my 10 pounds lost so that I'll be confident to lower it. Until then guess I'll have to be patient and less obsessive about it. :-)

Anyone else experienced this?
aliasihaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:16 AM   #2  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

I update with my lowest current weight. As someone who fluctuates like crazy it's by far the easiest thing for me. Why would I want to count water retention from salt/TOM/ovulation/post workout muscle repair as my true weight? Plus it would add in a lot of extra guess work. So if I see a new low on the scale I change my ticker that morning.

I haven't had any regains during this journey, hopefully I won't ever (well, unless I'm fortunate to have another ), so I haven't worried about moving my ticker up. That being said If I did go majorly off plan and I didn't seen my previous low for awhile then I'd move it back up. However, as long as you're not planning on going off plan why not change your ticker?
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/315/220

Height: 5'10

In my opinion, weighing in daily is an unhealthy mindset when it comes to losing weight. Your weight does fluctuate and depending on that number to decrease daily is just unrealistic and depressing when it doesn't change. I think weighing in once a week is the best way to go. Update your ticker once a week as well. You shouldn't really gain much if you're still dieting/exercising during the week, so you won't have to worry about that anymore. I don't understand the obsession with weighing daily to be honest. It's weird, lol.
itsjustmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmagic;4177315[B
]In my opinion, weighing in daily is an unhealthy mindset when it comes to losing weight. [/B]Your weight does fluctuate and depending on that number to decrease daily is just unrealistic and depressing when it doesn't change. I think weighing in once a week is the best way to go. Update your ticker once a week as well. You shouldn't really gain much if you're still dieting/exercising during the week, so you won't have to worry about that anymore. I don't understand the obsession with weighing daily to be honest. It's weird, lol.
I'm sorry, but I have to strongly disagree here. For some people, weighing daily might very well be triggery and could lead to eating disorders/obsession. BUT for me... weighing daily has definitely been a key to my success. I actually would obsess MORE about my weight when I wasn't weighing daily. Actually, not weighing daily got me up to my highest weight!!! It's only when I step on that scale and remind myself that I need to be conscious of my eating that I am able to lose.

I've said this before on here but calorie counting is triggery for me. I obsess about food then, constantly feel hungry and overeat. However, I know it works great for others so I don't judge. Try to realize that we all have very personal weight loss journeys and yours might be very, very different to someone else's. You really can run into problems making general sweeping comments about what is BAD and GOOD when it comes to weight loss. Actually... I'd even go so far to say that a big problem that many have when it comes to weight loss is that they fail to realize that it's a personal journey, we all got to high weights for different reasons and we all can use different methods to lose weight too. What works for one person, might be a huge miserable failure for someone else.

ETA: I just used WAY too many "actually"'s in those two paragraphs, oh well...

Last edited by runningfromfat; 01-18-2012 at 08:45 AM.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

I LOVED updating my ticker during my weight loss. It was a great motivator for me Every time I had a lower weight stick, I practically ran to my computer or used my phone to update my ticker. It really kept me on plan!

Use the ticker as a motivator to stick to it It's almost as if you get to show off your weight loss to the entire world without being a pain to those around you

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmagic View Post
In my opinion, weighing in daily is an unhealthy mindset when it comes to losing weight. Your weight does fluctuate and depending on that number to decrease daily is just unrealistic and depressing when it doesn't change. I think weighing in once a week is the best way to go. Update your ticker once a week as well. You shouldn't really gain much if you're still dieting/exercising during the week, so you won't have to worry about that anymore. I don't understand the obsession with weighing daily to be honest. It's weird, lol.
No, not really. Daily weighing might not work for YOU, but it does work for a lot of people. It's not "weird," it's another way to track your progress.

I love it. I love keeping track of my weight every day and graphing it in Excel. I've learned my body's patterns and I can almost successfully predict what I see on the scale now just based on how I feel. If I know I didn't drink enough water after a heavy workout day, I usually can feel the extra weight and usually know I'll see a small gain. I'm almost always right. I've also been able to successfully predict losses within a few days.

Just because something is weird to you doesn't mean it doesn't work for someone else. Personally I could never do weekly weighing. It wouldn't keep me on track and for all I know I could weigh during a random uptick, but I wouldn't be aware of that if I only weighed once a week.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:58 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 282/267/160

Height: 5ft7in

I would update every single loss you have! Thats what I plan on doing once Im able to get a ticker! Im pretty excited about getting one! I think that every pound you lose is a very note worthy accomplishment, and you SHOULD share with everyone! Congrats on the loss btw!
swtnsassync02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Yeah, update it. Make yourself happy. There are no rules, but the ones you make.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:11 AM   #8  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

I update mine with my lowest weight too. I weigh everyday but my official weigh in day is every Friday. This am I weighed in at 188lbs!!! WAHOOOO so I recorded it, I can't wait to do it. If it's up on Friday I will keep going until it says 188 again or lower. I know when I see a low number its on it's way and it usually gets there within a few days. I know my weigh in pattern
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 285/211/165

Yep, update with lowest number. If you stay on plan then any ticks up are water anyway. I just updated mine lol
juliana77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/246/135

Height: 5'6

I weigh daily and also have an itchy ticker finger! I use to update it every day with my fluctuations, good or bad, but I got bored with that. Now I update it whenever I hit a new low which for most weeks is a Saturday. Last week wasn't great for me and I'm current a pound above my ticker, but I know I'll get back there so don't bother moving it.

For me weighing daily helps me figure out what does what to my body. I'm not supposed to have dairy but through weighing daily I've figured out I can have cheese like 2 or 3 times a week. More than that I start to stall in my losses.

I look forward to weighing every day because I'm excited about my weight loss and while I'll be bummed if there's a gain, it's not something that ruins my day or triggers anything. Just like runningfromfat, calorie counting is triggery for me. I get into a contest with myself about how low I can go, I've tried to stop this behavior but I can't. So I cannot calorie count or I wind up eating 800 calories a day. But I understand it works for a lot of people. For me, weighing daily is helpful. I don't think it's weird.
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, I get that too. I have a bit of an itchy ticker finger now because I'm down a good bit since last week, but I've set my "official" weigh day as Friday and so that's when I change my ticker. I'd suggest doing something like that, if you are worried about fluctuations.

As far as weighing goes, I think it's a personal thing. I try to only weigh on Fridays since I tend to be lower on Tuesday-Wednesday then go up a bit by Friday. When I weigh during the week, I get grumpy on Friday even if I have a good weekly loss because I was lower a few days prior. At least that's the plan.... in practice I jump on the scale a lot. When I did this before, I would actually put my scale in the closet to keep myself from getting on it. I'm too lazy to dig it out until weigh day. lol
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:40 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 175 / ticker / 125

Height: 5'2"

I weigh daily, but I only update the ticker once a week (Thursdays). I made that a rule at the beginning so I wouldn't get neurotic about changing it every time I lost .2 pounds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmagic View Post
In my opinion, weighing in daily is an unhealthy mindset when it comes to losing weight. Your weight does fluctuate and depending on that number to decrease daily is just unrealistic and depressing when it doesn't change.
You're right that weight fluctuates daily, and that's exactly why I weigh daily. I lose weight pretty slowly (0.5-1 pounds per week, generally), and I fluctuate up to two pounds daily, so if I only weighed weekly there would be a good chance that I'd weigh during one of those upward fluctuations and think that I hadn't lost anything or even gained. That would be extremely demotivating. So, instead, I weigh every day, and I keep a little chart of it. That way I can look and see the weight trending downwards, even if that particular day's weight is a little high due to salt or menstruation or whatever. I count it as my 'official' weight once a week, just for tracking purposes, but I weigh every day so that I can be mindful of the fluctuations.
BigChiefHoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #13  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I always ALWAYS update my ticker when I hit a low weight.

I don't, however, update when I fluctuate up by a pound or two (or three... ) because those fluctuations are truly "fluctuations". For instance, three days ago, I hit 159 on the scale. This morning, back down to 156. I know I didn't lose OR gain three pounds in three days. Because that simply is not how my body works.

Besides, when the scale hits a new low, I know I'm really losing weight.

(yeah, it makes me feel good!)
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 333/T/190

Height: 5'4

I update my ticker every Wednesday. If its up or down I adjust accordingly. For me being honest about everything is vital to my success. Being dishonest with myself about what I weighed is part of the reason I got so heavy in the first place. Does it suck to move my ticke up? Absolutely. But it feels that much better to move it down again.
abbysue715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:10 PM   #15  

S/C/G: W=241, J3fc=229/Siggy!!/150

I update my ticker evertime I hit a new low (Which for me is usually on a Sat morning, weird yes?)
I don't update if I have a fluctation BUT I am a daily weigher and I chart every single day what my weight is that morning...Like this morning, I am currently up 2 pounds....Whicg I'm coming to find out is how my chart flows...I'm up 2-3 lbs during the week, and then sat morning...I see maybe 1-2 lb weight loss from the original weight.
KaeLynnB is offline   Reply With Quote