Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 301.2/212.4/135

Height: 4'11

Default 1 question

ok i start to drink lemon juice in my water so i can drink more water. is it bad if i put 1 pack of splenda in it or is dat bad? and also if i dont drink drinks no more wat is a good beverage i can drink beside water? i drink iced green tea.
babygurl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

A lot of your questions ask if doing something is "bad" or not. It depends on what kind of plan you are on and what you prioritize as important.

Some people don't like to consume artificial products. In their case Splenda would be "bad."

Others want to minimize calories consumed and are comfortable with using artificial products, such as Splenda, to replicate higher calorie food, such as sugar. In that case Splenda would not be "bad."

There is no such thing really as inherently "good" or "bad" foods. There are foods that are on plan and off plan, but those depend on what your plan is.
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 320/315/220

Height: 5'10

If you're talking about sugar, I've heard wonderful things about splenda. Some people live by it. Green tea is also very good at promoting good health and dieting. I plan on drinking some myself, it's actually very cheap and delicious. One of the shockers in my opinion, lol. I would recommend trying it. If you don't like it, stop using it.
itsjustmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #4  

im not on a plan. i just eat 1200 calories a day n trying to stay under my daily amt of nutrition. fats 41g, carbs 169g, proteins 46 and 14g of fats. im just trying to figure out wat every 1 else thinks. i mean isnt wat this site is for, HELP and SUPPORT?! I need help and support dang!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:28 AM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmagic View Post
If you're talking about sugar, I've heard wonderful things about splenda. Some people live by it. Green tea is also very good at promoting good health and dieting. I plan on drinking some myself, it's actually very cheap and delicious. One of the shockers in my opinion, lol. I would recommend trying it. If you don't like it, stop using it.
thank you. i love green tea. i drink it once a day with my dinner w/some teaspoon of lemon juice n 1 pack of splenda.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:52 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

If you're just worried about calories, adding a packet of Splenda will add 4 calories.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I want to provide help and support . I am just trying to explain that everyone is going to disagree on what is "good" or "bad" and there is no right or wrong answer.

The above poster thinks Splenda is fine, but personally I don't. For me it is "bad." I would rather add a tsp of sugar (15 calories), which is natural. Spenda is an artificial product, not a food. I would rather incorporate the 9 additional calories into my calorie count than save those 9 calories for something artificial.

Who is right? Me or the above poster? There is too much conflicting information out there to say. Neither of us has the "right" answer about if Splenda is good or bad. We each have different priorities and interpretations of the evidence out there, and each have decided what is good or bad for us. Both opinions are valid.

If you are calorie counting to stay under 1200 calories, then calorie counting is your plan. It sounds like staying under 1200 calories is your priority and you would like to know which foods and products are lowest in calorie count. Asking "Is Splenda low calorie?" or "How many calories in Splenda?" will get you responses much more applicable to you and your plan. Conversely, if you were on a whole-foods plan, asking "Is Splenda natural?" or "Is there evidence Splenda is bad for my health?" would be more applicable.

This isn't intended to be unsupportive. This is intended to help understand what you are looking for in the foods you select so that responses you receive are more targeted to your own needs and priorities so you can make the best decision for yourself
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:38 AM   #8  

Height: 5'2"

there is also that other sweetener called truvia. but i suspect it's no "better" than splenda.

my problem with sugar is that it does not dissolve. if you decide you want to use sugar instead of a sweetener, you might want to make a simple syrup by dissolving about 1/3 sugar to 2/3 water. this way there won't be any sugar sitting at the bottom.

Last edited by valalltogether; 01-18-2012 at 01:43 AM.
valalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:41 AM   #9  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

The lemon in the water is fine, but be careful. Too much of it can erode tooth enamel. From what I have read, brushing immediately after lemon water makes it worse, the enamel will soften with the acid and then reharden. If you do drink lemon water in large amounts rinse your mouth with plain water 15-30 minutes before toothbrushing

As for the sweetener - that is personal preference

Last edited by ennay; 01-17-2012 at 10:41 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:47 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 199/159/135

Height: 5'4.5"

If you are doing well with the splenda, I say keep doing it. There are some out there who say it is unhealthy, but for every food on the planet there is someone somewhere who will say it is unhealthy. I can't personally do artificial sweeteners because they give me migraines, but I know a lot of people who love them.

If you get tired of the green tea, there are so many other good teas out there in so many different flavors. I usually pick up a box of a new flavor here and there and try them. If I don't like them it was only a few bucks and then I know never to buy it again.
Seashell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 199/159/135

Height: 5'4.5"

Btw, I meant to add, Congrats on 80 lbs lost! That is amazing, and I don't think you need weight loss advice from us, we need to get it from you!
Seashell84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #12  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

They have alot of little powered drink mixes that are sugar free and no or low calories that you can add to water. Some of them are ok though others tasted like super sweet koolaid and I didn't care for them lol. But it might be worth trying for you.

I like to stick with mostly water. At first you are not used to it but you stick with it and then you just love it and don't even think about it anymore. I got a nice brita water filter pitcher and a cute water bottle and just fill it up and drink it all day long.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #13  
Ready to lose

S/C/G: 122.7/tick/62

Height: 5'4"

I use CSR Low GI raw sugar. It is a natural sugar that has been modified to be low GI. Not sure if you can get it in the states, but i love it.

As for artificial sweeteners, i never use them nor do i eat anything that includes them. In the last couple of years there has been extensive research done on how harmful they are. Personal informed choice on my behalf...each to their own
Tkkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:59 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seashell84 View Post
Btw, I meant to add, Congrats on 80 lbs lost! That is amazing, and I don't think you need weight loss advice from us, we need to get it from you!
lol thank you very much
Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 AM   #15  

Thanks to everybody who have givin me advice and i think ill cut back on the lemon juice but still use my splenda in my tea, cereal and oatmeal. I decided to raise my calorie intake to 1500. It was 1200 so i can get more in without worrying if im going over. So thank you all.