Old 01-15-2012, 04:40 PM   #1  
started IP 1.11.11

S/C/G: 242/209/175

Height: 5'7"

Default Phase 1 and training for a half marathon?

I know the answer to this- it's not possible.

My story: lost nearly 70 lbs and when I phased off, I started running and got hooked. Ran a couple 5ks and then fell off the wagon eating wise. I just got back on the wagon and have kept off nearly 50 lbs but going for losing another 35+. The only problem is I have a half marathon in May that I already signed up for and training starts now! So, yesterday before my first run (only a 2 miler but I'm not a very good runner so even that's a challenge) I had a restricted bar. Well, my run was pretty awful. I had no energy, my head got spinny and I headed back home and felt like I was going to pass out! My husband made me drink OJ and eat a granola bar "or else" and those helped me feel better pretty quickly.

So, I have a huge conundrum!! I need to get this last 35 lbs off but I need to train for the half. Can I modify phase 1 in a way that this could all work together? I only run 3 days a week so maybe modify those 3 days. But, then of course I'm out of ketosis, etc etc. Thoughts?? This is starting to keep me up at night. Lame, I know. I feel torn between two things I want/need to do.

Any advice appreciated!!

Last edited by ash825; 01-15-2012 at 04:40 PM.
ash825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 184.6/169/145

Height: 5'5"

I used to run prior to having my last two babies and I know that it takes an incredible amount of calories. Phase 1 is giving you enough calories to sustain. No wonder you were lightheaded. I know for me the pounds were coming off rapidly because I was running everyday. I would eat lots of veggies but I also made sure to get in my whole grains and fruits as well. My personal trainer said it was very important to not break down my muscles that I got adequate amounts of every food group. My advice, for what its worth, would be this..If you want to run the half marathon, go for it! BUT I would eat sensibly from all the food groups while you are doing it and then when you are done, if you are still not happy with your weight then go back on phase 1. I know I weighed more because I had very toned, defined muscles from all the running. Best of luck to you.
4kiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:42 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 177/145/145

Height: 5'8"

I have done a lot of reading on this
After the first week or two you should get your energy back and be fine with regular training-probably including an extra packet each day. I do 1-2 hours of high intensity exercise most days and I feel great...

Look up ketosis and exercise and decide based on the research.

Good luck with the run!
Momto2cs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 06:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/157/157

Height: 5'7"

What about train for the marathon then IP when you're done. It's a lot to ask of your body..to train while taking in an average of 800 calories a day... Just my opinion...
Pamelama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #5  
it's my time to shine!

S/C/G: 240/150/145

Height: 5'4

A lot of people, including myself, exercise while on the plan.

If it were me, I would have an extra packet before and after the training run and see you that works for you.
Mom3LoveBugs is offline   Reply With Quote