Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #1  
Suck it up, buttercup!

S/C/G: 237/165/165

Height: 5'8"

Default Capoeira

Not sure how many have heard of this, so here is a link to Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeria and here is a link to a video on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8zNigU0ChU

I really wanted to do that for the longest time but as you can see those guys are incredibly fit and it is not exactly a sport for overweight and unfit people. Well, and that is what I used to be my whole life.

Now, they are offering classes where I live for total beginners (keep your fingers crossed!) and I am at (well, close) to my goal weight, so I signed up!

The first class is on Saturday and I am a little nervous.

I will check back on Monday or so and let you know how it went. Well, if I survive it, that is.

Anyways, I figured I start a thread and see if somebody else is crazy enough to try out Capoeira. :-) Anybody doing it or used to do it?
josey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/150/130

I've never heard of it! But, after checking out the links your provided it looks really awesome!

I wish I was as brave as you! I'm totally intimidated by the gym and all the really fit people who go! I'm always self-conscious that I wont be able to perform to the same ability as the others even if it is a beginners class or whatever!! I'm working on this and contemplating signing up for a beginner yoga class to get me over my fear!!

Hope you have fun!! Looks like it'll be a blast!
JennaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:11 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 93/78/65 kg

Height: 172 cm

Good luck .... I have heard of it and know some very fit looking celebrity bodies do it .... go for it .... let us know how you get on ...
HMM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #4  

Don't worry about not being fit enough I'm sure you'll be fine! Those people in the video have probably been doing it for a long time, so they've been able to develop the proper body type for this. I think you'll be surprised to by the variety of fitness levels at your class, I know I was when I started doing a martial art. Just have fun and don't sweat it.
Julia75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 01:42 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

Tell us how the first lesson goes!

I've always wanted to do things like capoiera or parkour, but was too shy to get into it cause of how unfit I am. So tell us how the first lesson is!
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 06:00 PM   #6  
Suck it up, buttercup!

I am back from the first class. Phew it was quite the workout. Legs are still burning. It was good though. I will make sure I practice a bunch until next Saturday.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 226/207/140

Height: 5'4

I have always wanted to do capoiera! I'm not there yet, maybe soon Glad you had a great class!
regcal966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:50 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220/148/140(ATM)

Height: 5'2" on a good day

Hey Josey, glad you had fun! How do you feel compared to all the other beginners?

I just wanted to drop in to also say that you've inspired me. Cause of you I have joined my local martial arts class that I've always made doe-eyes at whenever I drove past. Next Monday will be my first self-defense/TKD class, with the promise of continuing onto MMA when I get better!
DesertTabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 AM   #9  
Suck it up, buttercup!

I was doing ok i think. There was one girl that was a bit heavier (200 maybe?) she was huffing and puffing but liked it too. I think if you can tough it out and survivie killer sore muscles i would say go for it. The exercises were not impossible to do.
I would say go for it.

One thing i have never experienced is that the soreness set in during the night. Usually i dont even feel sore the next day but the one after. I am already in pain And it is definitely a full body workout. I can tell!!

Deserttabby - go for it!!!

Last edited by josey; 01-15-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM   #10  
Suck it up, buttercup!

Did I mention I am ridiculously sore? OMG!! I have been sore lots of times in my life but I think what is different this time is that my WHOLE body is sore. Apart from my head, hands and feet everything just hurts! And hurts bad!
I can barely move.
But you know what? I LOVED IT! I am so going to the next class on Saturday and even if it kills me.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:18 AM   #11  
Suck it up, buttercup!

I had my second class on Saturday and it was great! Not sore this time. Last week it took me almost all week to shake the soreness. Uhoh! This week I was smarter. Went home and hopped on the bike for a few minutes to cool down a bit more. Had a hot shower and worked out the day after. That helped!
I also ordered the Capoeira Workout DVD, I hope I get it today. That will help practicing between the classes I think!