Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 09:54 AM   #1  
Vampiric Loving Dieter

Default Mind if I join you gals?

Hi there! I currently weigh 214 (down from 240) and desire to get down to 150. I've been struggling for a loong time with my weight. I've even dealt with bulimia in my high school years (am currently 26), although I still have relapses every now and then.
I also have a horrid coke addiction which I am trying to break (coke-a-cola, not coccaine. :P )
I'm not really sure how this is supposed to work, so if someone could help me out I would very much appreciate it.
~Maharet
Old 07-22-2003, 10:19 AM   #2  
Searching

Nice name. See you enjoyed the Vampire books. Everyone is welcome here.

I don't think there is a wrong way to do this but maybe you should ask Mauvis, Den, Ellis, or Ruth. I could be doing this wrong all along and be oblivious. That is the joy of Chris.

Your cola addiction is a hard one. I think I just decided I would rather spend my calories on solid food, that makes drinking water easy. I still have 2 cups of coffee a day.

Have a good one!
Miss Chris
Old 07-22-2003, 10:49 AM   #3  

Height: 5'-2"

Hi Maharet! Welcome!
Feel free to jump into any of the threads that interest you on Alternachicks. We all just skip around wherever we please. There's usually a weekly weigh-in thread and a "daily" where we can just chat. Although that's really all we do ANYHOW!
Old 07-22-2003, 10:52 AM   #4  
Cookin' With A Vengeance!

HI MAHARET!!!!! WELCOME!!!!
YUP! We pretty much jump in where we want to and have fun. So just post when are where you feel like it!
Old 07-22-2003, 11:23 AM   #5  

Hi Maharet! Welcome!

I find with my own food addictions I have to just avoid certain things, or else I will eat them all at once, no control at all! Like diet ice cream sandwiches. And Wheat Thins (I have a box right now, for eldest DD but she doesn't need them either. I will just throw them out now) OK, Wheat Thins, crushed and thrown out!

Took me 4 days to go throw them out, though. In the mean time, I put them in a cupboard - that's my other trick, if I don't see it out, I often forget something is there..

Lidian
Old 07-23-2003, 10:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I use the "moderation" method. I count calories, but once a week I will let myself have one of my favorite foods and just cut back a little so that my calories are still alright. (I am a calorie counter)
Soda/pop has never been a problem for me-I have always enjoyed water and diet sodas...my addiction is chocolate, especially dark expensive kinds. My chocolate addiction is so bad that in the dark with my eyes closed I can tell the difference between a Hershey Krackle and a Nestle Crunch...and the difference between a Skor and a Heath bar...I am like a wine taster, only with chocolate.
If soda is your only thing that you totally are addicted to, you might drink water, diet soda, and unsweetened iced tea throughout the week, and allow yourself 1 can of coke on a certain day of the week-if it helps to keep you on track the rest fo the time. Don't keep a case of it at home, but run up to the gas station and buy a single can so you don't have it in the house.
I would get it in a 12 oz. can, rather than in a plastic 20oz. bottle, because a can of coke has 140 calories, and the larger 20 oz. has about 250...just like with food, it is all about portion sizes.
I do the same thing with my chocolate-I don't keep it in the house, because you can't eat (or drink) what isn't there. I will bring home a single chocolate bar (which usually runs about 250-300 calories) and when I get home I split it in half and share the other half with my two little children, and eat it very slowly.
Aphil
Old 07-23-2003, 08:14 PM   #7  
Cute & Fluffy

S/C/G: 219/217/150

Height: Short!

Welcome Maharet!

There are a few foods I know I can't give up, but I make a conscious effort to cut WAY back. I know if I ever try to completely cut out my favorites, I am just setting myself up to fail. I tired it once, and just made myself miserable.
Old 07-24-2003, 09:22 AM   #8  
Vampiric Loving Dieter

Thanks for the warm welcome girls! I'm glad to report that for the last two days, I've had nothing but water! :: Tomorrow (friday) I go out to eat with my husband (weekly ritual) and I'll have a cola. I'm trying to limit my intake to Fridays only kind of a special treat, yanno?
I'm glad to see so many with the other problem though, makes me feel a little less crazy for being addicted to a soda!
Old 07-24-2003, 07:51 PM   #9  

YUP!! I'm ;ile that with salty greasy things. Or anything crunchy. So even though I'm allowed nuts on the South Beach Diet I try not to eat them because I can't stick to the allowed amount!!
Old 07-28-2003, 08:08 AM   #10  

Angry I wanna be an alternachick (whining)

Welll Im trying to get a grip on my eating. I have lost 50 pounds since January but Ive put on about 10 recently due to a major binge fest. I have no idea what thru me but I cant seem to get myself back. I need to get these last 10 pounds off. I always tend to blow it right around this spot. Its like I cant complete the job. This is so frustrating.
Im am making a conscious effort today to restart my motivation. Im going to go meal by meal. Its a start.
Im hoping to check in regularly. Im gunna need some help here. Thanks for having a place to vent...and share..Jules
Old 07-28-2003, 08:20 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

jeepchik-I find that when I go off for a few days, that the first day back is the hardest. I really have to take that day hour by hour and make a conscious effort to watch what I am eating and to drink my water, etc. If it is really bad, then I keep busy doing ANYTHING that will prevent me from eating-cleaning the pool with the skimmer, doing a crossword puzzle, cleaning the bathtub-you can't put food in your mouth if your hands are doing something else! I have even resorted to taking a nap for an hour to keep from being in the kitchen-and it ended up being quite enjoyable!
Once I have completed that first day, then it gets easier again. Hey, I just realized you are from Indiana too-where abouts? My nearest large city is Fort Wayne.
Aphil
Old 07-28-2003, 02:37 PM   #12  

Jeepchik-You do better than me!! I usually blow it at the halfway point!!! The last 10 points are notoriously THE WORST to lose, so that is pretty normal.
By the way...WELCOME!!!!!!
Closed Thread