View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #125
retiredone
Isabella

S/C/G: 180/154.5/125

Height: 5 feet 2 inches

OK, here's what I had for dinner. It's a really good meal and very easy to make on top of the stove or in a slow cooker. I actually started it on the stove but had to go out so I dumped it in the slow cooker and it was perfect by dinner time. I had cooked rice in the freezer so I just had to thaw and heat that to go along with the lentils and vegetable toppings. This is very basic and you can add more herbs and spices if you like, but this is how I make it. DH always has Thousand Island dressing on his because he puts that stuff on anything green.

Mazidra
8 ounces dried lentils
4 cups water
1 McCormick’s Chicken or Beef flavoured bouillon or any vegetarian bouillon or regular stuff if you're not vegetarian
1 or 2 Garlic cloves, minced
1 Bay leaf
Salt to taste
3 large onions, sliced thinly
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 or 4 cups hot cooked whole grain rice

Shredded lettuce
Diced tomatoes
Sliced green onions
Sliced black olives
Diced cucumber
Guacamole/diced avocado
Salsa
Etc...

In large saucepan, combine dried lentils, water, bouillon cube, garlic, bay leaf and salt. Bring to a boil and turn temperature down; cover and simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until lentils are tender. Keep warm. In large skillet, saut onions rings in olive oil until tender; mix with lentils. (I don't mix in the onions as I like them layered on top of the lentils.)

To serve, place a serving of hot rice on plate, top with a serving of hot lentils. Add lettuce and vegetables. Add guacamole and salsa if desired.

Bike: 1613.03 Kilometres
retiredone is offline   Reply With Quote