Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 282/267/160

Height: 5ft7in

Default Help! I dont know what to do!

I officially started my change on Monday. I didnt have any idea what to do so I looked online and found a 3day diet thing and decided to start with that then decide what to do once thats over. Well, today is the 3rd day and I have no idea what to do! I have thought about just doing calorie counting, but how many calories do I eat a day? Im just lost. All I know is that I am sick and tired of being big, and I HAVE to lose weight.

FWIW this 3 day thing STINKS! For breakfast this morning I was allowed to have an apple, 1 oz of cheddar, and 5 crackers. Lunch will be a hard boiled egg and a slice of toast. UGH There HAS To be a better way!
swtnsassync02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

Hey swtnsassync02! I'm from NC too.

What I would suggest is plugging your height and weight into an online calorie calculator to figure out what the average daily calories needed are for others your height/weight.

There are 3500 calories in a pound. If you subtract 500 calories from each daily meal, you'll have a 3500 calorie deficit for a week, equating to a pound of fat loss.

This may help: http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...tion_guide.htm
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/216/160

Height: 5'8"

There IS a better way! Calorie counting. It's free, relatively easy, and you don't have such strict limitations on what you can/can't eat, just how much you can eat of it.

1 lb of fat= 3500 calories. If you burn 3500 more calories than you take in, you lose a pound of fat. This is the basic equation.

You need to google a calorie calculator to figure out how many calories you are currently burning just by living daily life, and then figure out how many you think it is reasonable to cut down to. Aiming under 1200/day is generally considered too low without a doctor's supervision (it's hard to get enough nutrients with so few calories, and it can slow your metabolism). I can tell you that I aim for around 1500 cal/day, and I would say that on this board, that's around average (though there are many who do above that or below that). Sometimes it helps to start higher- even 2000 cal/day, to get used to calorie counting and portion control.

You need to record everything you eat. There are calorie counting apps for smart phones, and also a bunch of free ones online. If you bite it, write it- every lick, nibble, and sip! I know for me, I had no idea how much I was actually eating, and it was quite a surprise to see how many calories I was really downing.

One of the things that helps is learning how to make good food substitutions. You obviously have a lot of willpower, because you've stuck to this stupid 3 day diet thing, that totally sounds like a starvation diet, btw. Your lunch sounds like it is going to be about 200 calories, if that, and that's just not enough food to keep you going. I would add a nice big salad to that with some ff dressing, and maybe a sugar free pudding! there are tons of tips and recipes and support groups on this site that can give you more guidance.

Welcome to 3FC!
DezziePS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

There is a better way and you have already mentioned it. Calorie counting. I would start at about 1600 and see how that works, give it a couple of weeks and either lower it or raise it. Do not go below 1200 , though.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 162/154.0/115

Height: 5'4"

Agree with Kara, 1900 is probably going to be just right.
Dorian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #6  

Thanks ladies! I did post on the other section because I wasnt sure where to post. Lunch today on the three day thing is 142 calories. Thankfully dinner is much larger.

Thanks so much for all of your advice, Im looking very forward to going grocery shopping tomorrow and starting calorie counting!
Old 01-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 252/ticker/183.5

Height: 6' 2"

Hey, I'm in Raleigh, too!

Don't forget to count your condiments and any other supplements you might take. I even count my vitamins. Try to stay away from fatty foods and empty calories, too. Counting calories may be less restrictive but if you use your calories up eating a small amount of potato chips, you'll be hungry later. That leads to binge eating and other non-productive types of things.

It'll also go faster if you get some exercise in. Walking is good to start with and free.
andrew80k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 206/182/135

Height: 5'1"

There are better ways than that. More long-term ways than that which are more likely to be successful! Take a look around on this site, there are tons of different diets to try out.
Remember, not anything/everything might work for you and your body. You have to give a diet (and/or exercise routine) a real chance before changing to a different one if it doesn't work for you. Don't get discouraged!
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM   #9  

Thanks Andrew! I have been taking a daily multi, but I just looked and it doesnt say anything about the calories on it. I plan to use my calories very wisely, no chips for me! (dont care for them anyway) My biggest challenge is going to be pasta. I saw miracle noodles on QVC the other day and ordered some on amazon to try, I hope they will help curb my pasta craving!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

If you count calories, you can have pasta. I have pasta every week.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 03:49 PM   #11  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Keep a food log somewhere. Fitday, Daily Plate -- wherever you like it best. Many are free.

You can count calories or do diabetic exchanges (even if not diabetic) or BOTH just to make sure you in in your calories range but getting enough variety.

HTH!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-12-2012 at 05:36 PM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM   #12  
weight watching woman!

S/C/G: sw 253 cw 201.5 gw 154 mg 196

Height: 5foot6

Hi I would recommend calorie counting too, if you struggle with this though it may be worth going to weight watchers or that type of thing, you can make small changes at first, add a bit of excercise, cut out junk food, that alone can make a great difference, good luck!
DietDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #13  
Embracing the suck

S/C/G: 300/234/abs

Height: 6'9"

Just a word of caution. If you're going to calorie count - use a scale. Especially for high calorie foods like peanut butter.
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote