Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 206/182/135

Height: 5'1"

Angry Where the F are you supposed to buy belts?

I've lost 20 pounds. Yay!
I need a new belt. Double yay! It's like a landmark!
My husband and I went to FIVE different stores today looking for a belt for me, and failed. Target, Sears, JC Penny's, Shopko, and Fred Meyer's. None of them had belts that fit me. Talk about a slap in the face! I'm pretty sure the belt I've been using must've been bought in the men's department or something, and I'm going to have to cut or drill new holes in it soon (which I know is a good thing, but I'm still bitter). I'm 5'1" and 187 pounds. That's not so extreme that I shouldn't be able to find a stupid belt!

I talked to my twin about this and she agrees....women's fashion is all about fashion anymore, rather than any sense of function. Women wear belts to show them off and accent their clothing. I guess we aren't supposed to wear them to hold our pants up? We also had a whole conversation about the stigma of overweight men versus overweight women, but that's for another time I think.

My husband couldn't believe it.....why is there only an inch added in between sizes? And WHY are they sized as small, medium, large, etc... when ours (mens) are sized like their pants, so you already know if it'll fit or not? (my husband wears, a size 34 pants, so he has a size 32-36 belt. easy.)

He just cannot understand women's clothing sizes and the constant need for me to try everything on instead of just buying it off the rack because the size claims to be this or that. Welcome to my world, buddy.

What are some of YOUR clothing frustrations? I could go on and on! Pants, bras, tops, skirts.........
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 335/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7 -171ish cm

everything. my torso is long, my legs are long, im wide with a flat butt and a big chest. clothes aren't made for me, im a mutant lol ive had the same belt for ..9 yrs going on 10 and its quite useless as well. but i can't find one in my size . skirts are uber pain. they show the model with the skirt and im like ok that will cover all my girl bits, get the skirt, nope doesnt cover my girl bits my bf doesnt think this is a problem tho lol
CherryQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 206/147/140

Height: 5'3"

About a year ago I tried on a pair of jeans and they fit so I bought them, and another pair by the same designer, same style, different color, without trying on the black pair. The black pair was too tight- not just a little, but I seriously could not wear them comfortably.

I've had the same thing happen with bras.

PS I bought my last belt at Marshall's- I had to do some picking to find one bigger around than my thigh, but I did find a good one for only $12.
makingthechanges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #4  
Starting again

S/C/G: 289/ticker/128

Height: 5'4"

I have problems with jeans. I cannot find jeans that are the right length. They're always too long and then I end up walking on them and they get all torn up and frayed. Ugh. I hate being short and fat.
shishkeberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:47 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkeberry View Post
I have problems with jeans. I cannot find jeans that are the right length. They're always too long and then I end up walking on them and they get all torn up and frayed. Ugh. I hate being short and fat.
im tall and fat lol all my pants end up as capris
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 330 / 320 / 175

Height: 5'11

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlaine09 View Post
im tall and fat lol all my pants end up as capris

Haha I know that feeling! I find it super hard to buy tall plus pants!
Crazy Newfie Jen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #7  
... and a piece of toast.

S/C/G: 170 >:(/152/135

Height: 5'2" <-- well, almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishkeberry View Post
I have this problem too. Kohl's sells Lee jeans in petite and I find that these seem to fit me the best. I'm persimmon shaped . . . or kumquat or something, just not pear shaped so I need jeans to fit me in the waist and the legs are usually looser. If I buy them to fit in the leg there's no way they'd fit in the waist. I buy the boot cut, 'rests at natural waist' fit (they sit below my bellybutton but not way far down on my lower hips) and the length is almost perfect. . . I just have to turn them up the depth of the hem, which is about an inch.
loose seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 267/230.5/161

Height: 5"8

Hi, I would try a store that sells to plus size women. Here in Ontario we have "Addition Elle" and penningtons. Not sure if you have those stores near where you live.
I found a good belt at Addition elle.
Oh and I totally agree about woman clothes..the sizing sucks..I don't even know what a true size 14 or 16 is anymore.. I think they should just make labelling illegal for all girls and womens clothing..that way we can just try it all on..we are going to anyway..and it would help with self-image issues.. none of this "GOTTA be a size 0-4_ whatever..
SLIMplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 10:10 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Newfie Jen View Post
Haha I know that feeling! I find it super hard to buy tall plus pants!
especially in st johns lol
Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 PM   #10  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Women's clothing sizes are insane.

For jeans, I sometimes hit the mens dept. and buy by waist and length. Amazingly, a lot of them look great. Wal-Marts, mens, el cheapo Faded Glory jeans rock. You can buy them by waist and length and they actually snug up to your butt and look great! Plus they are as tough as iron. I have several pairs. And they come in a variety of shades of blue and solid black.

For belts, maybe try a western/cowboy/farm supply store. They can be a bit more forgiving and cowboys like embellished belts. I know, my whole family is cowboys.

The Fort Western Wear, is a great place to shop online for stuff, reasonable prices too. A cowboy store, but lots of options. For women, Cinch and Cruel Girl jeans are great. Have lots of them. Also there customer service is great. Been ordering there for a long time. IMHO there sizing in Cruel Girl and Cinch actually runs a little more true. I can wear a 9/10 or 11/12 depending on style. I see women here my height and weight who say they are 2 or 4 or 6. Not in cowgirl jeans.

For short girls, you can always hem your pants. For tall girls, ask about special orders.

Don't even get me started on finding a proper bra! *faints dead away* I actually went and got measured in a bra store, with supposed experts. Told me I was a 34c. ROFLMAO! In a 34c I'd look like I worked in the red light district! I'm a 36DD in most, but depends. Just gotta try them on.

Anyway, I hear ya on buying clothes. It bites!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 231.0/193.6/185.9

Height: 5'5

Surprisingly, Talbots has good belts.
shanhat81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #12  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Target, Sears, JC Penny's, Shopko, and Fred Meyer's. None of them had belts that fit me.
Huh. I just bought about 7 belts a few weeks ago- from Sears & Stein Mart, & they all fit wonderfully. Good luck in your belt hunt! - I know how hard it can be to find something that fits when you are in mid-weight-loss mode!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 09:55 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

My latest clothing rant is jeans. Jeans in departments stores are too short. Lane Bryant jeans are big in the thigh if they fit in the waist or small in the waist if they fit in the thigh. Torrid is opposite, if the waist fits, the upper thigh/lower butt is too small (and I do not have a proportionally big butt, at all!). If the thighs/butt fit, the waist has an extra 2 inches.

Apparently a big girl having big thighs AND a big waist is just unheard of!

Last edited by Aclai4067; 01-11-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #14  
This time for sure!

S/C/G: 209 / 175 / 130

Height: 5'3"

Yeah, belts are very much a non-functional item these days. Sometimes I have to wear two--one for looks (outside the shirt) and one to actually hold my pants up!

Anyway, for a good functional belt to wear with jeans or whatever, I went to Nordstrom online. I found a nice leather one for about $20, and they have sizing charts for each item. Plus, Nordstrom allows FREE returns if you get the wrong size. Or do what I do when I'm not sure--buy two sizes at the same time and send one back.
LisaJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 206/182/135

Height: 5'1"

Thank you for the suggestions ladies! Some of the stores you've suggested I haven't even heard of, and I know they aren't in the town I just visited (1.5 hours away), but they will probably be in Salt Lake City (2.5 hours) and I'll be making a trip there next month! I've been to Torrid before but haven't seen most of the other stores....or maybe I have and I just didn't know because I wasn't paying attention!
Rapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote