Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2012, 05:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

Red face Protein shakes= intimidating???

Hey everyone!

Usually I go to the gym before bed, so I can workout, and go straight to sleep without taking in unnecessary calories at night. This has worked great for me, and I've lost 30 pounds so far. But now, my boyfriend is saying that I really should be making a protein shake after I get back to rebuild my muscles. I know I'm being stupid and paranoid, but the last thing I want to do is take in calories that I just worked my butt of burning!

Did anyone else have to get over this fear?

Thanks!
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

You don't NEED a protein shake after lifting. If your main concern is learning to not overeat at night then by all means, skip them. Post workout nutrition is important to a point but IMO the details are not necessary if you are working on one key issue (ie. not exceeding your calories from night overeating).
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #3  
On the slow track.

S/C/G: 210/ticker/160

Height: 5'9

You definitely don't need a protein shake if you're just doing cardio at the gym. If you are lifting, and even if you aren't, as long as you get plenty of protein during the day, it's ok to skip the post-workout shake.

(If you are lifting, you might consider eating a small, high protein 'real food' snack after the gym--a small carton of yogurt, a boiled egg, a string cheese--instead. I dislike protein shakes on principle and would always rather eat real food, and a 100 calorie snack is definitely better than a 300 calorie shake!)
DietVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 198.6 / 192.4 / under 150

Height: 5'5"

I agree, so long as you get healthy, lean or low fat protein during the day, there is absolutely no reason you "have" to drink a protein shake after going to the gym. And I'll second what DietVet says, if you are worried about it eat a boiled egg or some string cheese or yogurt. You still get the protein without all the added stuff.

I don't have an issue with protein shakes as a whole. Heck, once in a while I'll have one for lunch. But there just isn't any reason you have to have one after working out.
mizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #5  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

LOL I didn't even know you were "supposed" to have protein shakes after workouts. Apparently I've been doing it wrong these past seven years.

I've been able to build muscle and tone without protein shakes I just make sure to get lots of protein in my diet.
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 175/150/139. Ultimate Goal:132

Height: 5'6

LOL okay okay let me rephrase this!

I guess I mean, since I've been doing a lot of weightlifting, and since I don't have the most nutrient-packed diet during the day, I'm always told that a quick protein shake is an excellent way to repair my muscles, and just to get all the weight loss benefits of protein.

Now I have no idea about anything protein related, so if anyone has any tips/facts, please share!
GotothegymOKAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #7  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DietVet View Post
You definitely don't need a protein shake if you're just doing cardio at the gym. If you are lifting, and even if you aren't, as long as you get plenty of protein during the day, it's ok to skip the post-workout shake.

(If you are lifting, you might consider eating a small, high protein 'real food' snack after the gym--a small carton of yogurt, a boiled egg, a string cheese--instead. I dislike protein shakes on principle and would always rather eat real food, and a 100 calorie snack is definitely better than a 300 calorie shake!)
I second this.

To the OP, if you are concerned that your diet doesn't include enough protein, you might do better altering your diet to include more real foods that have protein. I think that if you eat plenty of protein as a general matter, it doesn't matter so much whether you eat it right after your workout or not.

Just try to work more chicken, fish, eggs, lentils, and that sort of thing into your diet, and you will be just fine. Why do you think you are having trouble getting good nutrition?
carter is offline   Reply With Quote