Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Default January Resolvers' Chat

OK, let's hear the resolutions and the strategies to meet them.

I'm going to do the DASH diet and go to the gym 6 days a week--2 days to lift, 4 days to do cardio. The strategy? Just do it!
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I'm working my way through NROLW. 2-3 days lifting, 1-2 days doing a bit of cardio (walking, exercise dvd, yoga).

My right knee, which I injured running about 8 months ago, has started acting up. I haven't run in over a month so I think it's the squats that are aggravating it. I lifted yesterday and last night my knee was bothering me just lying down . I think I'm going to stick at the same weight next time and really focus on form. I'm either letting my knee move forward too much on the way down or I'm squatting too deep for what it can handle. I squat until my calf and hamstring touch, which is fine for lower weights, but not what I'm squatting now. So my resolution is to really hit a squat form that works for my knee
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #3  

Indiblue, I developed patellar tendonitis and the medical people said to quit doing really severe squats and keep the thighs parallel to the floor, no lower.

Maybe try that, and use ice after working out.....
Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #4  

Tejas, thanks! I'll definitely ice afterwards. I'll have my fiance watch my form from the side to make sure I'm going parallel, no lower. I think I'm so focused on getting ATG that I'm compromising form below parallel. Thanks for the reminder

Right now I only have access to a barbell on Tues/Thurs, so I'm only lifting twice a week. I'd really like to lift more but that's how it is right now.

How many times a week do you all lift?
Old 01-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #5  

I lift two times a week. Then, I do some form of cardio/core 4 times a week. I've been trying to do serious HIIT, but the knee and hip are giving me fits. I'm seeing a podiatrist next week to see if all of these problems are foot related.

Acupuncture helped my knee.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:22 PM   #6  

I'm really happy, and interested, to hear that accupuncture helped your knee. I am convinced mine is related to my hips, which are structurally a little deformed (the sockets are angled outwards instead of more straight ahead). I'm supposed to have surgery at some point in the coming years to correct it. In the meantime, I'd love to explore accupuncture as a way to alleviate the knee pain that sometimes pops up. And even the hip pain perhaps!

I think the upside of lifting only 2x a week is you REALLY look forward to it each time! I'm excited to head to the gym this afternoon. Deadlifts today, which are right now my favorite. I'm lifting 72% BW right now. Would love to get closer to BW in the coming months!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #7  

I LOVE deadlifts. I use the trap bar. I weigh 180 and can do 162 on the deadlift. I don't do that high most of the time, but I can do it.

But, don't be sad if you need to come down in weight to protect your body. This is about being healthy.

But, as you know, form is critical. Stick that behind OUT and get back on your heels, don't come forward on the toes. I know you know; I'm just reminding.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #8  

Reminder on form are ALWAYS appreciated! Thank you!

I think I do need to focus more on my form. Well... I focus a lot on it but I need to improve it. I don't think I'm driving through my heels enough on squats and deads. Next time I'm going to have my fiance video tape me to watch. And I may need to come down on the weight.

One thing I'm doing now are Stage 1 lunges, which is one leg stepping out, lunge, step back, repeat. I'm used to walking lunges, which I really feel in my glutes, but these not so much. My lunging knee is always directly above my ankle and my back/static knee goes low enough to graze the floor. I feel like my static leg (the one that is not lunging) is getting much more of a workout than the lunging leg. Is that how it's supposed to be? (I'll pose this question on JP fitness eventually, but curious on your thoughts here).
Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #9  

Well, I don't know I'll ask my trainer.

I do know that yesterday when I was doing lunges (with 20 pound dbs) he reminded me to push off the lunging leg through the heel. That's key, and critical to protect the knees.

I did a new program, and here it is:

Using 20 pound dbs, one in each hand. And, of course, do both sides.

6 alternating bicep curls
6 alternating overhead presses
6 forward lunges with dbs in your hands
6 backward lunges with OH presses (keep dbs at shoulder, as foot goes back, do OH press at same time-----real challenge to stability)
6 Romanian deadlifts
20 toe raises

Then do it all again, twice.

We are changing things up a bit to see what happens. My right hamstring is really tight and limited. I hope the podiatrist has an answer.

I imagine that if acupuncture helps you at all, it would help the hips also.

Do you take any Ibuprofen? Does it help?
Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #10  

Height: 5'6

How about foam rolling for the tightness in muscles? I've recently incorporated that into my routine and it's helped a lot.

I'm going to continue doing NROL4W (I'm in stage 4) then onto NROL4Abs after that.

This is the first year that I will not rely on cardio to keep me slim. I'm focusing all my efforts on weight training and diet to keep me lean and fit.

Let's hope I can keep this momentum going.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #11  

Fitmom, I use the foam roller all the time. I can't imagine what it would be like without it! I do a lot of stretching also.

Good luck keeping your focus. We all need to do that!

I forgot the 6 upright rows in my routine above.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #12  

Routine from yesterday:

leg presses
squat jumps
chest presses
power push ups
overhead presses
skating
glute machine

do 8 reps of each, two to three times, at weight that is good for you.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #13  
No description available.

Hi guys! I made it into the gym and lifted weights for the first time in a long time. I didn't try anything heavy but I still felt every bit of it and I know I will be really sore on Thursday. But one step at a time is how I'll get back!

Tejas, what sort of skating did you do?
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #14  

Welcome back to the site, Midwife. Glad to hear that you're lifting again.

Skating....I should have been more clear....it was not really "skating" but making skating motions. So, jump to the right, bringing left leg to back, touching your toe to the floor behind you. Then jump to left and bring right leg back....mimicking the skating motion. You use your arms like a speed skater and just touch behind, don't put weight on back leg.

Last edited by Tejas; 01-17-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #15  
No description available.

Oh, goodness! I know what those are! Silly me.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote