Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Unhappy Fat forever? RANT

Im super close to giving up. Why even bother? I try so hard and do all this work to lose and u screw up one day and then your back up on the scale. I have no motivation, can never stick with a diet for more than a few weeks and i HATE the way I look. I cant afford a gym membership nor can I afford an expensive diet plan. help
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:35 AM   #2  

You do not need to join a gym or invest in an "expensive diet plan" to lose weight. You need to eat less and move more. I understand your frustration (been there, done that), but not starting a healthier lifestyle because you can't afford a gym or a commercial plan (e.g., WW, Jenny Craig) is just an excuse (not trying to be harsh---just stating a fact). No one can give you the magic pill of motivation needed to lose weight; that must come from within.
One thing that might work, though, [and I'm sure you've heard this before] is making small, everyday changes. Sometimes making grand commitments sets us up for grand failures; it's often easier to ease into healthier habits.

Best wishes!
lin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 214/190/140

Height: 5'5"

What lin43 said. Also, don't beat yourself up if you have one bad day - we all have them. Draw a line underneath it and move on. By just chipping away at it, you WILL get there. I've had plenty of hiccups in the last year, but have learnt to accept them as being a part of everyday life. As lin43 says, making small, everyday changes is one of the most effective steps to long-term change. Come on girl, you CAN do it ((()))
Elliemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #4  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

I hear you. I did the "why bother" thing for a long time and I found myself the biggest I had ever been in my life as a result. You have to stick with it. The scale goes up, the scale goes down. You need to pay attention to the overall results, not the day to day fluctuations.

You'll start losing, you'll start feeling better about yourself, and that will drive you do keep moving forward. Don't give up! Don't let the set backs get in your way. Just keep moving forward. It's that all or nothing frame of mind that can sabotage our efforts. You can't be perfect all the time. Deal with your bad days, and move on.

Jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, squats, exercise DVDs, walking around the neighborhood.... you don't need a gym to exercise!
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:50 AM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:290 CW:ticker GW:189

Height: 5'7

Thanks ladies. I gave up reg soda so far. I just cant seem to stop eating big portions. I love the feeling of being overly full. its stupid but its the truth. i need to find a plan I can stick with. Maybe just eating every 3 hours and smaller portions will help. i just dont know. im at that point where im depressed and need to pick up my big pants and run haha
Breannaj1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #6  
I choose me...

S/C/G: HW 265/SW 240/CW ticker/GW 150

Height: 5 Ft 3

Hun you can do it. Be kind to yourself and be easy on you. It's going to take time to get to into a new lifestyle and it isn't going to change over night. You don't need a gym membership and calorie counting is free! I started off doing this for free! If you have a bad day they just realize what you did forgive yourself and start again. I fell off the wagon SO MANY TIMES I still do, but you just keep going. That's the key. So you mess up, shrug it off realize how it made you feel so next time you will have that memory that it doesn't feel good and maybe the binge will slow down. It will take time. Go for a walk. Borrow some exercise videos from the library. You can do it!

ETA I just read your post. I use to LOVE that full feeling too. It will take time to realize what FULL is and what SATISIFIED is. Just try for now to recognize the feeling, at least you are aware of the FULL feeling! See how it makes you feel in your body. And eat more lean protein, that will fill you up faster and sustain the hunger. And yes eat every 3 hours is good too. Drink lots of water. If you find it overwhelming start slow....eat super healthy but bigger portions for now and then gradually reduce the size? Experiement and find what works for you.

Last edited by InsideMe; 01-10-2012 at 07:54 AM.
InsideMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:51 AM   #7  
is chubby

What the people above said!

Also don't forget that after a day of less healthy eating not all what shows on the scale is fat. Some is water weight! It will come off easier if you hop back onto the wagon
Chubbykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 255/151/145

Height: 5' 6"

Be kind to yourself! Be quick to forgive your "bad days" and keep focused on your goal. No one is perfectly on plan all the time. Life happens. You deserve happiness and feeling good about yourself. Don't deny yourself this gift. Losing weight for yourself is one of the most positive things you can do. I promise you that if you just commit to it and stick with it you are going to feel an incredible sense of accomplishment and well being. It's like you are taking back control of your life instead of feeling all the time like it is out of your control.

You are in charge of you! It is hard work. It takes effort to shop for healthy foods, prepare your meals, fit in exercise. You know that you need to adopt a new way of eating. You can't expect to not change but still lose weight. You will learn new habits and this will evolve into a healthier lifestyle.

Don't give up on yourself. Take it one day at a time, one meal at a time. You can do this and you're worth it.
deblosingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #9  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Like others have said, you don't need expensive diet plans or gym memberships. I'd even argue that the diet plans are a waste of money.

I was a broke graduate student when I started out. Calorie counting is free and all of the information is available online so I went with that and dropped almost 70 pounds.

If you mess up then so what? Get right back on track for the next meal. Everyone messes up; we're not perfect after all.

I too liked the feeling of being overly full, but I slowly taught myself to eat less and realize that the being full and being satisfied are two entirely different things. You don't NEED to be full...being satisfied feels much better
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #10  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

I like to feel overly full too! I found that the best thing for me is, instead of eating several small meals, I eat 2 big ones, and a little one. I don't care for breakfast, so I pick. I have a small breakfast and a snack. Then I have a big lunch. That will carry be over until I have a reasonable sized dinner. When I'm really full, I'm less likely to snack or more likely to snack responsibly. You just have to find what works for you.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:53 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 186.6/181/164

Height: 5' 8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinieten View Post
I hear you. I did the "why bother" thing for a long time and I found myself the biggest I had ever been in my life as a result. You have to stick with it. The scale goes up, the scale goes down. You need to pay attention to the overall results, not the day to day fluctuations.

You'll start losing, you'll start feeling better about yourself, and that will drive you do keep moving forward. Don't give up! Don't let the set backs get in your way. Just keep moving forward. It's that all or nothing frame of mind that can sabotage our efforts. You can't be perfect all the time. Deal with your bad days, and move on.

Jumping jacks, push ups, sit ups, squats, exercise DVDs, walking around the neighborhood.... you don't need a gym to exercise!
Thanks for this, motivation is low today (everyday) and this is exactly what I needed to hear!
LondonGirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #12  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
I have no motivation, can never stick with a diet for more than a few weeks .
Did you think you were going to lose 100 lbs nonstop without a break? Go at it a few weeks, take a weekend off. Then go for the next block. There's no way you can ruin it ALL in one weekend.

If you like the feel of being overfull make a list of things that won't mess you up calorie wise. Watermelon, honeydew, canteloupe, zucchinni -- all those are lower cal and kinda watery. So you can eat a lot in bulk without blowing it.

GL!
A.

Last edited by astrophe; 01-10-2012 at 09:07 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #13  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

First of all, do you have a local library? I am sure you can find a few books on basic nutrition there. Read up as much as you can about nutrition. I know this time I did not go to any plan (formerly WW). My plan right now is just eating healthy smaller portions and following my own body rules (limit dairy, tons of veggies, etc). The only thing I get full on is veggies. I make 2/3 of my plate veggies. I'd suggest looking up volumetrics plan too. You can combine all these things to make your own YOU diet. At the moment, I don't even count calories, I just try to make better choices.

Also, you'll start finding out being overly full isn't a good sensation. I was reading another book the other day and it said, "If you can't walk around the block after your meal, you ate too much." I binged a bit during the holidays and I didn't like the feeling anymore. It didn't feel nice at all.

Maybe even reading one of the Beck diet solution books. She goes over behaviors that you can start doing that can change how successful you are on your diet. One book has a food plan. The first book (which is what I read) doesn't. It's all about the mind which I love. One of the things this book asks you is to eat sitting down. I know I will scarf a ton of cheese in my mouth standing up by the fridge. Another thing it asks you is to read why you want to lose weight every day.

You don't have to be fat forever. You don't have to have a gym to lose weight. The first time I lost 80 pounds, I use Leslie Sansone DVDs everyday and TurboSculpt. This time I'm hula hooping and doing some weight training.

For me, weight loss doesn't work unless I accept and love myself before I start. How can I love myself at 180 if I can't love myself at 270? Weight loss doesn't solve anything. Also, I wouldn't weight yourself everyday.

My favorite motto: Progress, not perfection. If you eat one good meal today, GREAT! Give yourself credit for everything!
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:10 AM   #14  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breannaj1215 View Post
Im super close to giving up. Why even bother? I try so hard and do all this work to lose and u screw up one day and then your back up on the scale. I have no motivation, can never stick with a diet for more than a few weeks and i HATE the way I look. I cant afford a gym membership nor can I afford an expensive diet plan. help
Breanna you CAN do this! Try not to look at it as "I have to lose _____ pounds to be where I wanna be" try to look at it was "I only have to lose 5 pounds to be one goal closer to where I wanna be". Or something to that extent, that's what gets me by.

Make small, achievable goals that you can get to in a timely manner. You CAN do this & I'm always here for you <3.

You don't even have to do an expensive diet; heck a lot of people just calorie count because that's what they can afford & that's what works for them. You just have to find what works for YOU.

Even if you do eat something "off diet" and it makes you up on the scale chances are the day right after it's just fluid retention, it takes longer than 1 day for a pound to actually hit in your body for *good*.

Just keep your chin up & it will get better. You've lost weight before and you CAN do it again! You can be the skinny girl that you wanna be, that we've talked about; you just have to keep your head in the game!
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 200/138/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breannaj1215 View Post
I love the feeling of being overly full. its stupid but its the truth.
You need to get a PILE of veggies to go along with each meal.

If you have pasta, measure out the serving size on the package- and then mix in double that much julienned zucchini, spaghetti squash, eggplant, or other pasta like veg.

If you have a pork chop, cook just the 6 oz (or whatever your plan says) chop. Then roast an entire cut up bell pepper, onion, a whole head of broccoli, a small sweet potato, a baked apple- AS MUCH AS IT TAKES. Add a pile of spinach. You can eat tons of nonstarchy veg- literally a mixing bowl full- and it is going to do less damage than an extra baked potato, or slice of pizza.

You can work on feeling content with less food gradually, but meanwhile you will have tripled your veggie intake and fill yourself right up with minimal calories.
jeminijad is offline   Reply With Quote