Thread: Wonderslim #6
View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 04:19 PM   #47
TOY

REKP, glad you said that about a post not showing up! I have tried to post 2 totally different times to Shero about that study of the people regaining their weight and lost very lengthy posts. I decided I wasn't "meant" to post it...LOL...so I'm glad to hear it's messing up for you, too. I thought maybe it was me being too preachy or something. Sometimes I fall back into the schoolteacher mode without meaning to and I would never want to offend.

Shero, the gist of what I was sharing (that got lost a couple of times)is that (from what I have learned through reading and diet experiences) our bodies adjust to whatever calories we provide. Our bodies are these wonderful miracles that adapt to survive... even when we treat them badly they will find a way to survive for some time period.

If we are on a low calorie, "fixed" amount each day, our bodies will adjust to that and pretty much accept it as a means for survival. If the body needs more energy, it will burn fat, etc. When we suddenly quit dieting and consume even say 500 more calories per day than usual, it will store those for future use...resulting in a possible one pound gain per week. That's why any diet that's plausible includes a maintenance phase where you slowly reintroduce additional food/calories back in. Plus, they tell you to set a gain weight that you will not exceed such as 3 or 5 pounds so that you are consciously aware of how your body is reacting to the new additional food/calories.

In my opinion (garnered from study and experience) that's why plans such as Medifast and WonderSlim, etc. have the lean and green meal you add in yourself. It is expected that that meal will vary from day to day resulting in a variance in calories so that your body does not become dependent upon x number of calories to sustain itself. I have to consciously remind myself of this because I am the world's worst at getting stuck on a favorite meal, etc. and repeating it for a few days in a row.

I do try my best to alter my day's calories if by nothing else than eating an extra bag of the protein chips on some days or such. I'm trying to hit a range of 1200 to 1500 calories with a greater emphasis toward the lower end. However, some days, I purposely go above the 1500...not often because I am trying so hard to lose. However, I don't want my body to "learn" a set number of calories per day as the norm because I doubt if I can balance it with burning calories by exercise since I hate to exercise.

I don't know if any of that made any sense whatsoever but it does in my mind...LOL. There are many other reasons such as vital nutrients, etc. that your diet needs variety but that's a tale for another day. I'm already afraid that this won't post and I don't know if I can make myself type all this out yet again. (Actually, right now I'm avoiding housework that is screaming my name so yeah, I could probably laze around on the laptop the rest of the afternoon. It has become my Calgon...as in "take me away" ...LOL)

Hope all of you shakers are moving and shaking this Monday. As for me? I'm loving retirement today because I'm in a major lazy mood.

By the way, I just sent in a couple of months order for shakes...they're on sale this week. My favorites are cocomint and mocha. What are yours?

Last edited by TOY : 01-09-2012 at 04:44 PM.