Old 01-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 183/162/130

Height: 5'5''

Default I need support

Hi everyone,
I just started this diet a month ago and probably have lost 10-13 pounds( long story on why I am not sure). Anyways, I am really having a hard time with this diet. I am always telling myself I can do it, but then somehow I cheat on the diet. I do not want to be a quitter at all on this diet. I want to actually get to get to my goal weight. Here is what I would like to get help on:
-how to resist not cheating on the diet?
-what do you have in your life that motivates you?
-how do you not get sick of the food?
Honestly, any advice you can give me I would appreciate it. I am on the verge of giving up on this diet and that is not an option.
Thank you
Pink
Pink1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 234/231/180

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink1350 View Post
Hi everyone,
I just started this diet a month ago and probably have lost 10-13 pounds( long story on why I am not sure). Anyways, I am really having a hard time with this diet. I am always telling myself I can do it, but then somehow I cheat on the diet. I do not want to be a quitter at all on this diet. I want to actually get to get to my goal weight. Here is what I would like to get help on:
Honestly, any advice you can give me I would appreciate it. I am on the verge of giving up on this diet and that is not an option.
Thank you
Pink
- how to resist not cheating on the diet?
I don't cheat due to the health risk it puts on your body...the cost of cheating, and the time loss to actually lose weight. My coach told me it will set me back 3 days and 3 days worth of food! the most important reason not to cheat though is the health risks that you put your body into...pancreas stuff etc. (Ask your qualified coach about this...)
My husband is my motivation, my family and this site. I'm an all or nothing person so this diet is right up my alley...plus my motivation is knowing it won't last forever, and I'll finally not feel "gross" about myself. I remember how I felt on day one and I don't want to go back there again.

I try not to eat food that I enjoyed while "fat"...for example I can't enjoy a big mac in a bowl because I use to love a bacon cheeseburger and just cannot enjoy this healthy version of a hamburger. Also, I won't buy Walden Farms fettucini alfredo sauce because I love the real thing to much and I know this wn't meet my expectations...that's just how I operate. I found what I like and I stick with it until I get sick of it...so Kale chips are now off my menu 'cause I ate them relentlessly! Now I'm in love with Turnip "fries"..and I stick with IP choc. or capp drinks! love 'em!!!

Hang in there...it is so worth it!! It will be over and you'll be in maintenance b/f you know it!!! You don't even have too much more to lose!!!
New Englander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #3  

Location: Washington DC - or wheverever American Airlines is taking me at the moment!

Height: 5'6"

As far as not getting sick of the food, I have two suggestions - absolutely read FinnSteven's IP recipe thread and join the FB page if you feel so inclined. Lots of great ideas on this board for pack hacks that are totally on program and get you out of a rut. I printed them all out, laminated them and now use them for inspiration when I'm not sure what I feel like.

Also, if you can afford it, I've found that having a fairly wide variety of packs to pick from throughout the day helps -- I did some serious stocking up early so I can select what I feel like at a particular moment instead of being limited to what I have in the house. Test them first, of course, if your clinic lets you, but don't limit your choices.

Finally, spice it up! It's amazing how some cinnamon or orange extract and a quick heat in the microwave will transform a boring chocolate drink into a yummy decadent hot chocolate. Lots of great options with spices.

Good luck - you CAN do this!

Last edited by GloverParker; 01-07-2012 at 09:28 AM.
GloverParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:35 AM   #4  
Started IPD Dec 1, 2011

S/C/G: 188/182/140

Height: 5' 1 1/2"

Hi Pink. In my opinion it comes to this...when you are ready to commit then you will. Something has to flip in your brain that says you are ready.

My 50th bday was in November and I took at look at the pics from my party and instead of seeing great friends and family who were thrilled to help me celebrate, I saw a double chin smiling in the camera. That was my motivation. To feel better about myself and to take care of myself as I take care of those I love.

I have just a few IP items that I like. Mostly the ready to drink boxes chocolate and vanilla and I love the new Mango bottle drink and the jello. What saves me is that I use the 4C ice tea/lemonade packets to add to my water. I have a 1 liter/32 oz Fiji water bottle that I have will me always with a bit less than a packet in the water. Gives me good flavor and allowed by my coach. When I am
hungry I take a large amount of the lightly flavored tea!

The key is that you need to make that mental shift that you are really ready to change and stop beating up on yourself!

Last edited by Tmg1989; 01-07-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Tmg1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #5  
INACTIVE

Hi Pink,

New Englander gave some great advice. I think you can do this without cheating because you were proactive enough to get started on the diet in the first place.
There are a lot of recipes here (enter recipes in the search tab, check out FinnSteven's page on FB and here) that will really make life on this diet more interesting. Find something you really like and stick to it until you are sick of it if you have to. I LOVE the omelet because I can make it for breakfast or lunch, make it into a soufflee or little muffin tin bites, add different veggie combinations to it, it is very versatile. Some people add half a packet of a soup to half a packet of the omelet for a comlpetetly different taste.
Add a soup packet to your veggies to make more of a sauce--use the leek soup with less water to mix into mashed cauliflower. Try kale chips! They are great for a snack and really easy and cheap to make. Find a drink that you like and make that a staple. I love the cappucino drink and look forward to having it every other day. I have extra around just in case I want to use it for a snack instead of a restricted bar. Make a million different salads with your protein, make your own dressing or use Walden Farms (which you can spice up to your liking), get as many spices as you can and go nuts with them. I am presently addicted to my version of taco salad--I look forward to it.
I've been on this diet just over a month and I am happy to have lost 14 lbs without cheating. I'm not saying it's easy--actually I am in a bit of a rut right now, wishing it would go faster. BUT, that's no reason to cheat and I am not in danger of doing so. Plus, the cost and guilt isn't worth it. You will only prolong the agony by cheating.
Go to the photo albums and look at everyone's photos. They all stayed the course and you can see the pride on their faces in their after photos. Everyone looks so beautiful! Look at how long it took--not overnight, but not forever, either.
Finally, why not try visualizing this diet as a relationship. Like a husband or something. Are you going to cheat on "him" just for a fleeting moment of satisfaction? Here "he" is offering you stability and a better life and all you have to do is be faithful.
Maybe that will help? Good luck and keep trying--but try your BEST :-)
SomedayBubblySomeday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 AM   #6  
Started IP 11/28/2011

S/C/G: 268.6/174.0/160

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Thank you
Pink
New Englander is right, you will be done with this before you know it. So many of us have a much longer road to go. I only wish I had your stats! Think about it. Do you want to do it right the first time or do you want to keep coming back and restarting like other people have? You should read that thread too.
As for motivation, I look around me and even though nothing is ever said I sometimes feel the disapproving looks from other 'thinner" people. I want to be one of them and not worry about the airplane seats. I want to do this for me so I can be healthier and keep up with my adult children and young grandkids without embarressing them. I travel a lot with my husband and want to be able to do it easier. I want him to be proud of what he sees everyday.
You have to find your own motivation and make it about you and make it fun as well. What do you want? What makes you laugh and how do you find joy? Then incorporate those into goals or prizes along the way for yourself even if they are daily for not cheating in the beginning. Find a hobby to keep your hands busy. If you have always wanted to do something (crochet, scrapbook, whatever) learn. Read a good book.

The dill pickles are great for snacking. I have done the stuffed peppers recipe and the lettuce wraps to keep from getting bored. Try different recipes.
Try not to give up though... You don't have far to go! You just have to make the decision of whether you want it or not.
Reg
doublebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/136/135

Height: 5'5

I think about those who are pessimistic about me keeping weight off, so it drives me. and I remember all the compliments i get and how good my clothes feel. I stay creative on meals, but at the same time keep it simple: example, at work I take frozen broccoli bags that i can steam in microwave at work. Or take leftover dinner.

I am way more productive when I am eating OP, less lethargic. When i see friends, family, co-worker complain about how tired they are or say "I feel gross I shouldn't have eaten all the bread in bread basket", I secretly smile because I have found the answer to feeling sooooo good. That is motivation enough. I also pick certain events to look forward to, to keep me motivated. It helps me not cheat. The thinner we get the better we look in photos, that motivates me too!

-how do you not get sick of the food? herbs and seasonings, lemon and lime can do wonders for flavoring your meals. I am loving curry seasonings and cumin on my pork shops and I broil everything now, especially chicken and pork chops. keeps everything moist.

I thought of something yesterday, because I started maintenance on December 15th, I spent my 2 week winter break going to parties and holidays eating and drinking what I wanted. I don't regret it, but I felt gross and like I had put 40lbs back on. The past 5 days I have been on Phase 1 again, to clean up my mess, and I have never felt better. The food just wasn't worth it.
This is what I realized, We want something on this plan because we can't have it, and when/if we do cave in and have it, it really isn't as good as you think it will be and then you get depressed for eating it. I was so ready to get on Phase 1 again. So just remember that. If you are craving chips for example, it's really salt you want, so slice some zucchini thinly and paint it with some sea salt and seasonings and broil it for 7 minutes and flip it over for another. that will get rid of that craving. Same with sweets: I LOVE the chocolate shake packet warmed up like hot chocolate ever night, throw a little Davinci Sugarfree peanutbutter syrup in it. YUM it's like reeses cups. Chew gum, drink lots and lots of water and warm teas. and stay busy, this site helped sooooo much. and read the book about Ideal Protein, the PDF link at beginning of daily threads. Less you cheat sooner you will be at maintenance! It will be a forever battle of course, but we will have the tools to eat how we want sometimes and then jump back to phase 1.
LEAN ON US, THAT'S WHY WE ARE ALL HERE YOU CAN DO IT!!!
leganegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Hi everyone,
Thank you
Pink
I think that most importantly when you start this diet you have to understand it's a NO CHEAT diet. Some diets are forgiving when you have a little slip up here and there but with IP you are dealing not only with calories in v calories out but with actual body chemistry. Therefore if you slip up and have that one cracker, or one piece of bread you're setting yourself back at least 3 days. Say you do that once a week, plus the initial 3-5 days to get into ketosis and you're only looking at actually being on the 'diet' 15 days (for which a 10-13lb weight loss sounds appropriate) even though you only slipped up one time a week which doesn't sound like much.

I also read somewhere recently (and sorry I can't remember who posted it!!) that they would only cheat if they were ready to tear up 2 $20 bills because that's basically what you're doing by cheating.

There is an awesome thread by FinnSteven (and he even has a FB page if you're on there) where he has made all kinds of delicious recipes and has pictures of them to change up the packets and give you more of a variety. Personally I like the structure of the same thing every day and don't change it up much, but everyone's different.

As for motivation I saved a picture of me at my heaviest on my computer and whenever I'm thinking I might like to cheat just once I pull it up and think about how I don't want to keep looking like that. It also helps we're moving in a few months and I would like to at least start phasing off by then. You just have to find your motivation and stick with it, but personally IP is to expensive for me to consider cheating.

I hope this didn't come off as to harsh. I know that many diets out there say it's okay to have one little snack, or a cheat day as long as you get back on the next day, and I've been on all those diets. It's a total change of mindset on IP, and everything is so exactly laid out for you there shouldn't be any reason to cheat. Please if you have any more questions or need any more support post because we're here for you, but before recommitting to the plan make sure that you know what it entails.
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:10 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 293/274.6/140

Height: 5'2

PINK I agree with TMG. i have tried sooo many diets, I always gave up and cheated. This is the first time I haven't cheated. And to be honest, the most part is because of this site. Everyone said after day 6 you will feel better. Because this past week I wanted to quit soooo many times. I thought to myself, I haven't even made it to day 6 yet, why would I quit when the good part is right around the corner. Today is my day six and I feel great. Something happens the night of day 5 and the morning of day 6. However, I agree with TMG you have to change you mind. You have to be sick and tired of being sick and tired.

What motives me?
I motivate myself. I have friends and family telling me i can do it and that helps. But, I do positive affirmations in the morning. I cut out a picture of what the perfect body would look like to me and put my face on it and stuck it on the mirror in the bathroom. Also, my counseling co-worker gave me a paper that says, "Use your imagination and imagine yourself at your PERFECT weight. When you imagine your perfect weight, explore what it would FEEL like. When you start to think about what it would feel like really feel that feeling" (I'm a mental health counseling major, so anything i say is going to be based on feelings hahah) I can't help it, it's second nature.

Anyways... lastly, I am doing the alternative IP plan. Because the closest coach is an hour from me. So, I jut use alternative products. I use the EAS shakes and bars, and i ordered a few boxes of packets from nausha nutrition. But, I also for dinner I have my two cups of veggies and chicken. I always try to find a different way to season the chicken. I don't eat fish or redmeat. So, chicken is my only choice. Anyways i'm off track. I don't get tired of it because i know that in phase two your allowed other foods, and phase 3 and 4. So, phase 1 will not be permanent. It is only temporary. They are not saying you can't have any of this food EVER AGAIN, just not right now.

Thats how i get by!
mrsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:22 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 293/274.6/140

Height: 5'2

Double, I totally feel what your saying. The DISAPPROVING LOOKS. I am tired of driving through the drive through wondering if they are looking at me in disgust. I have seen these looks and that is good motivation. The looks on the faces of people around us. I got married in July 11' and i wish i would have had the motivation to lose weight before the weddding, but I didn't and i dont dwell on that. But, I remember shopping for a dress and my aunts would say, "dont get one that SHOWS YOUR BACK FAT" I was so discouraged. But, now i think about it and i use that as motivation. I am also tired of trying to make my way through a crowded place without hitting someone with my butt or my hip that I didn't know REACHED that far!

But there are good things... I want to RUN, I want to wear a bikini, I want to sleep without sleep apnea, I want to feel like i'm not a prisoner in my own skin! and lastly I want to join the military, my husband does too and we are only 26 and you have until 30 to join. We both want to but i'm too heavy.

Anyways, i'm just rambling! lol
mrsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #11  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmurphy View Post
PINK I agree with TMG. i have tried sooo many diets, I always gave up and cheated. This is the first time I haven't cheated. And to be honest, the most part is because of this site. Everyone said after day 6 you will feel better. Because this past week I wanted to quit soooo many times. I thought to myself, I haven't even made it to day 6 yet, why would I quit when the good part is right around the corner. Today is my day six and I feel great. Something happens the night of day 5 and the morning of day 6. However, I agree with TMG you have to change you mind. You have to be sick and tired of being sick and tired.

What motives me?
I motivate myself. I have friends and family telling me i can do it and that helps. But, I do positive affirmations in the morning. I cut out a picture of what the perfect body would look like to me and put my face on it and stuck it on the mirror in the bathroom. Also, my counseling co-worker gave me a paper that says, "Use your imagination and imagine yourself at your PERFECT weight. When you imagine your perfect weight, explore what it would FEEL like. When you start to think about what it would feel like really feel that feeling" (I'm a mental health counseling major, so anything i say is going to be based on feelings hahah) I can't help it, it's second nature.

Anyways... lastly, I am doing the alternative IP plan. Because the closest coach is an hour from me. So, I jut use alternative products. I use the EAS shakes and bars, and i ordered a few boxes of packets from nausha nutrition. But, I also for dinner I have my two cups of veggies and chicken. I always try to find a different way to season the chicken. I don't eat fish or redmeat. So, chicken is my only choice. Anyways i'm off track. I don't get tired of it because i know that in phase two your allowed other foods, and phase 3 and 4. So, phase 1 will not be permanent. It is only temporary. They are not saying you can't have any of this food EVER AGAIN, just not right now.

Thats how i get by!
Your post TOTALLY made me feel better about starting this plan Thank you so much even though I didn't start this thread lol
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 217/174/164

Height: 5'8"

I think you have to be mentally ready to really go for it. I was, and the "no cheat" rule really helped me. I lost 50 lbs in 3 months. You can put up with anything for 3 months (or whatever time it takes - it won't be long on this diet). That's what got me through... it's such a short amount of time to give up to suffering through small repetitive meals considering the reward at the end. After only 3 months, I can wear a size 6 instead of a 16 and shop in cute trendy shops. I can run, I can fit in an airplane seat, I can wear a swimsuit. All I had to give up in exchange was 3 months of really restricted eating. So worth it! Hang in there!
Pauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:29 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 206/174/160

Height: 6'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloverParker View Post
We want something on this plan because we can't have it, and when/if we do cave in and have it, it really isn't as good as you think it will be and then you get depressed for eating it. I was so ready to get on Phase 1 again. So just remember that. If you are craving chips for example, it's really salt you want, so slice some zucchini thinly and paint it with some sea salt and seasonings and broil it for 7 minutes and flip it over for another. that will get rid of that craving. Same with sweets: I LOVE the chocolate shake packet warmed up like hot chocolate ever night, throw a little Davinci Sugarfree peanutbutter syrup in it. YUM it's like reeses cups. Chew gum, drink lots and lots of water and warm teas. and stay busy, this site helped sooooo much. and read the book about Ideal Protein, the PDF link at beginning of daily threads. Less you cheat sooner you will be at maintenance! It will be a forever battle of course, but we will have the tools to eat how we want sometimes and then jump back to phase 1.
LEAN ON US, THAT'S WHY WE ARE ALL HERE YOU CAN DO IT!!!
THIS!!
sarahmayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:34 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 183/162/130

Height: 5'5''

Default Thank You Everyone!!!!

I just want to thank everyone that has commented on my post today. I really needed to hear some of these comments since no one else is telling me them. I want to do this for me, so I can look forward to going on vacations with my husband without being looked at( I am a size 10/12,but I feel bigger sometimes), having a family one day, and being happy with me.
Pink1350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 AM   #15  

Height: 5'7"

It's about maintaining the Bigger Picture. For me, it all comes down to the concept....."I want "this", more than I want "that".

My first real test was at three weeks when I found myself sitting at the Thanksgiving table, my friends were about to make their way to the dessert table and I stayed seated because....I wanted good health more than a slice of pumpkin pie. There have been many many moments since where I had to make the choice....I want xxxx more than xxxx.

Its one step at a time, its one meal at a time, its keeping my perspective. Its recognizing impulsivity and stopping it in its tracks. Its looking at whats behind the anxiety. I am not being cheated out or missing out on anything that holds more importance than a healthier, happier me. Being overweight and eating whatever I want did not make me happy.

What has helped with not getting sick of the IP food is keeping variety in the cupboard. I have a few favorites that are always available, but then I try new packets and new recipes. When I try something that is less than agreeable, I shrug and say, "its just one meal, moving on..".

So much of this (or any change in routine) is keeping the head drama in check. My life wont end because I cant have that beloved mega box of blueberries that I pass by on my way to picking up more celery. Same with Lays Sour Cream and Onion chips which I consumed on an almost daily basis. My life will end sooner if i don't get a handle on my health. Right?
2Poles1Girl is offline   Reply With Quote