Old 01-02-2012, 03:41 PM   #1  

Location: Arizona now, NYC then, but the US Navy will take me places soon!

S/C/G: 265/239/165

Height: 5'10"

Default A Poor Girls DIY Ideal Protein Success!

Hello Everyone! My name is Rosie, and I am so happy
Before the holidays I had a nutrition consultation with an IP doctor, and I realized that I have metabolic syndrome which would account for my weight, high cholesterol, and hypothyroidism, as well as my weight gain, and struggle to lose weight. I am only 24 years old, and I've always been an athlete sports year round, my whole life, until I hit college, and everything went downhill from there. I rapidly put on weight, and I hit my staggering 265lbs, which I could normally hide being 5'10" girl, but that was just way too fat for me.
So, I decided to try IP, but the problem is, I am young, starting off with a Navy sailor, and I didn't have the $92+ a week for the diet. So, being the crafty DIY-type girl, I read all I could find about the IP diet, and I am doing it myself, for much cheaper.
Instead of the protein packets, I make myself Whey Isolate shakes that are sugar free carb free and fat free, twice a day, and I cook myself lean meats and tons of salad and veg. with Walden farms dressings (which I'm trying to get used to, but I use a lot of salt free seasonings and fresh herbs instead)...
I also got my own vitamin supplements, Ca, Mg, K, sea salt, and I am also taking Green Tea extract and Chromium, which I know helps with weight loss.
So, here's the conclusion to this post; even though I am still very far from my goal weight, today at one week, I've lost 14lbs! I know most of it is water weight, but I have been meticulous with the diet, and walking a few miles a day, and doing yoga. I am so happy, and this is the best confidence boost I could have ever gotten on my first week.
This site has helped me so much in terms of advice and motivation.
So, for those who are on a tight budget, but motivated, there is hope! You can DIY and have results, I just hope that I can reach my goal in time for my December wedding, and keep it off for the rest of my life!
I know I am only one week in, and I shouldn't get ahead of myself, but I am just bursting with excitement today and good luck to everyone in their fitness ambitions!!
Healthfully yours,
Rosie
GoRosieGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 214/211/150

Height: 5'5"

Rosie,

Congrats to you! Many people use alternatives, including myself, so you can get more ideas (foodwise) on the alternative thread. I personally hate the walden farms, they taste like chemicals. I do use the Bleu Cheese dip and mix it with Franks hot buffalo sauce and make a Chicken -wing-like salad. You can have 2 t of olive oil a day, so that is what I use on my salads. Keep up the good work, you are through the hardest week!
Bellamack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #3  
Started IP April 27, 2011

S/C/G: 408//199/199

Height: 5'8

Congrats on making this work for you. It is amazing what you can do if you put your mind to it. There are lots that are using alternatives on here so you should be able to get lots of ideas like Bellamack said. Congrats on that 14lbs....it is POSSIBLE even though it is water weight. Sounds like you have your head in the right place PLUS you have a goal to work toward....your wedding. Let us know if you need any help, we will be more than glad to help ya out as much as we can
wuv2bloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #4  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

Congratulations on making it work for you. Great job!
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 190/176.2/135

Height: 5'3"

Way to go!! I'm just restarting with alternative products and feel the same way, can't wait to get to my first WI. If you search alternatives on this site there are TONS of great options and ways to customize it. I've just started ordering from Nausha Nutrition and I love the added variety. The first week is the hardest so as long as you don't give into bad habits you should be feeling great and ready for your wedding!!
NavyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 293/274.6/140

Height: 5'2

That's awesome Rosie!

I just started today and I am using all alternative products as well! I know I probably won't lose 14 pounds BUT i am hoping it is significant next Monday!
mrsmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 187.6/177/130

Height: 5'4"

Good Job Rosie! It's always wonderful to hear success stories. Glad to know this diet can be modified and still be successful!

I've been on the fence about switching to alternatives. Anyone care to share what they ordered (actual product names) from Nashua and lindora. I've seen the alternative threads, and the comparison spreadsheet, but it would be great to know what folk order/reorder regularly because it works for them?
r101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #8  

Location: Arizona now, NYC then, but the US Navy will take me places soon!

S/C/G: 265/239/165

Height: 5'10"

Thank you everyone for all of your positive support and feedback, it really made my night! It is hard to not give in to bad habits, like tonight at dinner, I had some steak, but it was hard to ignore the big bowl of carrots potatoes and onions, and the buttery dinner rolls that everyone else was enjoying, but as I ate my steak, veg, and salad, I thought to myself how amazing I already feel, and that I would do anything to not revert to my poor food choices. I then took that opportunity to announce to my family that I weighed myself for the first time and lost weight! They were all so happy for me, and I felt great.
I also learned a new trick that works for me, maybe it will work for some other dieters that have in between meal cravings..
I realized that if I religiously brush my teeth after every time I eat, I don't have any lingering food taste in my mouth, and I feel so fresh and clean that I only can think of drinking some ice cold water to compliment the minty freshness
It's definitely helped me control my cravings, it may not work for you, but it definitely keeps the teeth nice and pearly white
Hope you are all doing well on your diets, and good luck to everyone in their fitness quest!
Rosie
GoRosieGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #9  
Started IP 8.02.11

S/C/G: 317/TICKER/160

Height: 5' 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRosieGo View Post
Thank you everyone for all of your positive support and feedback, it really made my night! It is hard to not give in to bad habits, like tonight at dinner, I had some steak, but it was hard to ignore the big bowl of carrots potatoes and onions, and the buttery dinner rolls that everyone else was enjoying, but as I ate my steak, veg, and salad, I thought to myself how amazing I already feel, and that I would do anything to not revert to my poor food choices. I then took that opportunity to announce to my family that I weighed myself for the first time and lost weight! They were all so happy for me, and I felt great.
I also learned a new trick that works for me, maybe it will work for some other dieters that have in between meal cravings..
I realized that if I religiously brush my teeth after every time I eat, I don't have any lingering food taste in my mouth, and I feel so fresh and clean that I only can think of drinking some ice cold water to compliment the minty freshness
It's definitely helped me control my cravings, it may not work for you, but it definitely keeps the teeth nice and pearly white
Hope you are all doing well on your diets, and good luck to everyone in their fitness quest!
Rosie
I totally agree about brushing your teeth. It really does help!!
JellyMae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:17 AM   #10  

Height: 5'0"

Brava to you Rosie!!! I agree about brushing your teeth. It's a great tip. I applaud everyone going it alone. There are lots of terrific ideas, recipes and support here. Always good to have new people with new ideas.
shelly ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:44 AM   #11  

I've been using the ProtiDiet and ProtiThin products from Nashua Nutrition. I belive I also have some Weight loss systems products and they sent a sample of HealthSmart hot chocolate which I'll probably reorder. For RTD I use EAS Carb Advantage. You can find it at your local grocery. I paid $8 for a 6-pack. I also found it at Sams Club 24 for $28.
mamacitaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 155/ x /135

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRosieGo View Post
Rosie
i agree on brushing teeth to help with cravings. I also read somewhere on the site to drink hot tea to help feel full longer. I think that really works for me between breakfast and lunch. I am using EAS shakes and a few Lindora products but i love the shakes and their easy so their 95% of my day. congrats on the great weight loss.
IPRound2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 155/ x /135

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPRound2 View Post
i agree on brushing teeth to help with cravings. I also read somewhere on the site to drink hot tea to help feel full longer. I think that really works for me between breakfast and lunch. I am using EAS shakes and a few Lindora products but i love the shakes and their easy so their 95% of my day. congrats on the great weight loss.
I mean THEY'RE not their. Terrible of me.
IPRound2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 180/180/145

Height: 5'8"

Hi Rose,
Like you, I am new and recently started my own DIY version of Ideal through alternatives. I have been lurking for several weeks and waiting for an new alternative thread to jump in and get my feet wet! We are sharing a similar daily diet with the exception of the shakes. I travel a lot and the EAS Carb control RTD's are much easier for me. I am trying to keep my carb count between 30-40 per day. Your 14 lb loss in the first week is outstanding!!! {{{applause}}}}(I would insert clapping bouncing dudes here if I knew how) I had my first weigh in today and though I was doing good with a 5lb loss! I also have been drinking hot tea to feel full while satisfying my sweet tooth - I use herbal apple and add a cinnamon stick with liquid stevia - It tastes like hot cider. Good job and I can't wait to see your next stats!
Geminspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:16 PM   #15  
Golden

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5'4

Congrats on your weight loss and sticking to it. I am also on alternatives after already trying IP with a coach. I use EAS, Designer Whey and Syntrax Nectar. I like a little variety. We are around the same age. If you ever need a buddy let me know.
Mizzthingaling is offline   Reply With Quote