Old 12-31-2011, 10:31 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Can you do IP using whole/natural foods?

Hubby and I are starting IP on Monday, but we're kind of turned off by all the ingredients we can't pronounce. We're actually using alternative products for budget purposes - right now we have EAS drinks and PureProtein bars, and I'm thinking about buying either some Lindor or Nashua pancake mix, oatmeal, and soups. But everything seems to be loaded with stuff we wouldn't normally put in our bodies. Any thoughts or ideas about this?
panda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 01:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: restart 9/2/14

It is an important issue. First let me say I only buy IP foods, but I do buy the EAS drinks too. I've had this discussion with a friend of mine who needs to loose a lot of weight like I do. She refuses to go on IP because of the soy and well she is also into organic whole foods. I told her that I do buy organic whenever I can for the foods I buy on my own for this plan. As for the pre-packaged food, well bottom line is I want to lose weight. I don't believe the food is totally unhealthy and I'm 100 percent positive the extra weight was causing me more harm than any additive in the food. I had cancer last year and my oncologist said it was due to my weight. In fact it was my oncologist that recommended this diet for me.

In the meantime my friend who insist on doing WW since she eats only food she buys has lost very little weight. I've lost 49 pounds in the same amount of time. I think I'm better off.
DanafromAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

It is an "unbalanced" plan for a reason. With healthy natural foods you can't get the amount of protein in that you need to lose weight once you drop the calories low enough to lose. So these "unnatural" foods are a temporary solution to get you to a healthy weight and enable you to eat a healthy diet of natural foods for the rest of your life.

Last edited by patns; 12-31-2011 at 04:46 PM.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 169.8/135/135

Height: 5'-2" - 41 years old - 2015 Reboot: 165.4/136.0/135

Like you, my biggest concern before I started IP was the "fakeness" of the food and/or packets. I (now and before IP) eat an organic, wheat free and sugar free diet. However, when I made the decision to do IP, wanting to lose weight trumped EVERYTHING ELSE. And let me tell you, it was THE BEST DECISION I have ever made!

My advice to you and your hubby is, make the decision as to what is more important to you. For me, I had tried everything under the sun and I was desperate to find the answer to my weight loss woes. I wasn't crazy about eating the packets, but I decided that the packets and giving IP a try was more important than eating "whole, clean foods". You need to decide this as well.

Now that I am in maintenance, I am back to eating whole, clean foods and will continue to do so as my lifestyle. The packets are temporary, you will eat good foods again. The weight loss is second to none. If I had to do it again, I would not hesitate to do the exact same thing.
jennydoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:33 PM   #5  

Height: 6'0

I understand your concern. Before I started this diet I was into juicing organic vegetables. I spent a fortune on those veggies....I love to eat sustainably and organically grown foods. I also only eat meat that is humanly raised, also expensive. But most of what you will eat is food, not IP packets, the packets are a means to getting the required protein- and there are other protein sources out there as Kara pointed out----everything else you eat is veggies and meat-- and these can all be organically grown.

As jennydoodle said above, it is worth the sabbatical away from a TOTAL whole food diet to lose the weight. When I reach my goal, I am looking forward to juicing, and eating whole grains.

Good Luck. One thing about this diet, your either all in or your wasting your time, money, and initial discomfort. It is worth all 3 to see results.

HaHa..I blew it over Xmas and am back on track. I want this weight loss to happen. I am so sick and tired of watching the scale sloooowwwwwlllyy decrease and then stop....IP gives results, and that is worth the sabbatical!

Cheers,
Happy new year!!

Last edited by Lmflora; 12-31-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Lmflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 204/143/135

Height: 5' 1"

Can you give an example of what you would eat of natural foods to get 160 grams of protein at under 1200 calories? I hadn't thought of protein powders as natural food but I guess they could be with no additives.
patns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
I ate quite well all on whole foods and not relying on powders, packages, and chemicals I couldn't pronounce while easily getting a ton of protein in each day.
So I gather then from your above quote that you aren't on IP or the alternatives?
Old 01-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I've been very interested in IP and have been studying the IP protocol and the IP food products (as well as the alternative products) and their nutritional profiles to see if I could duplicate the nutrition myself, using whole foods (or at least inexpensive commonly available ingredients).

I've even experimented with some recipes to duplicate IP products, with some fairly successful results for smoothies, hot cereals, and soup recipes.

I've concluded that it's possible to duplicate the IP nutrition profile, but it's not very practical. Also, I think one of the biggest advantages to IP is lost - the convenience and psychological advantage of having only one meal to plan/shop/prepare for.

So while you can duplicate the nutrition of IP (if you've got the math and nutrition background), you can't easily duplicate the convenience of IP - so what you end up with doesn't really look a lot like IP anymore by the time you're finished.

That doesn't mean that what you end up with wouldn't work, it just isn't enough like IP to call IP.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #9  
Re-started IP 9.7.11

Height: 5' 4"

I'd like to add something to the mix here, something which seems to be either ignored or forgotten. But first, I too use organic foods when I can get them and no, they aren't cheap. €8 for 500g ground beef. They're worth it if you're in a position to grow or buy them. Many people aren't so there's no use thinking them a standard for this program or for feeling uncomfortable for not using them -- until big business agriculture takes an 180 degree turn in another direction.

The point I want to make? The IP program is not all about silver packets. The very high grade vitamins and mineral supplements are as much a part of the program as the protein isolate and, my personal opinion, they are its most valuable asset although I'd hate to ignore the considerable thought that has gone into planning the program, balancing the diet, and providing (for the most part good) coaching. The supplements are absolutely invaluable and Walmart or GNC products are not equivalent.

There's also the issue of using long and medium chain fatty acids; drinking at least 90-100 grams of water a day, or more depending on one’s weight; and the essential amino acids in the packets.

Yeah, yeah, someone might say. They're a give. I'm not sure, considering the cavalier way many of the posts here seem to redefine the program to one's personal interpretation. Likewise the issues of the amount of whole protein to be eaten; when to eat; how much to eat; and how many packets to consume without a coach's recommendation. These aren't personal preference issues.

This program, particularly Phase 1, is so elegantly simple and so easy to follow but it really is important to make sure all the ingredients are included. The reason I'm nattering on about this? Because I think it's so necessary to recognize all the essential aspects of the program AND, most important, because I like to see people succeed.

N.b. The IP program has 60-100% more calories than most protein sparing programs -- programs that are so low in calories, fatty and amino acids, and vital minerals and nutrients that they are truly scary unless used in a clinically-supervised setting, no matter how long or short term.

Best of the new year to everyone and let's get this done.

Last edited by Linden; 01-01-2012 at 06:26 AM.
Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #10  

Height: 6'0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linden View Post

The point I want to make? The IP program is not all about silver packets.

Yeah, yeah, someone might say. They're a give. I'm not sure, considering the cavalier way many of the posts here seem to redefine the program to one's personal interpretation. Likewise the issues of the amount of whole protein to be eaten; when to eat; how much to eat; and how many packets to consume without a coach's recommendation. These aren't personal preference issues.

This program, particularly Phase 1, is so elegantly simple and so easy to follow but it really is important to make sure all the ingredients are included. The reason I'm nattering on about this? Because I think it's so necessary to recognize all the essential aspects of the program AND, most important, because I like to see people succeed.
I agree Linden, thanks for saying this. IP is the IP program in its entirety, and it works. Anything else is well......not IP!

Cheers

Lmflora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #11  

You said it best Linden . Thank you.
Old 01-01-2012, 12:55 PM   #12  

Height: 5'5"

Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to lose the weight by end of summer. My goal is to lose 40 - 50 pounds. I figure if I have to use the packaged foods until then, it's probably better than what I'm putting in my body right now (which is, lots and lots of sugar).

There's no way we can do the IP program, it's just too expensive. I'm hoping to make it work with alternatives. I've been researching and trying to make sure we'll be getting enough protein (though I still haven't figured out exactly what the requirements are...). Just trying to make sure the alternative products have similar ingredients, and similar protein/fat/carb/calories. I think we'll be using egg whites for one of our IP meals (most likely breakfast), because I don't think I'll be able to just do a drink for breakfast, but I'm probably going to buy the ProtiDiet pancake mix, and maybe some of the oatmeal as well.

We'll be taking supplements as well, but I'm sure they're not the exact same as IP. We've both got a Multi-vitamin (which seems to be equal, if not better, than the IP supplement). We'll also be taking a cal-mag supplement, and a potassium supplement (couldn't find an alternative potassium-calcium supplement), plus a fish/flax/borage supplement. I'm hoping this will keep us healthy and well.

Cheers to everyone in the New Year!
panda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by panda13 View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm hoping to lose the weight by end of summer. My goal is to lose 40 - 50 pounds. I figure if I have to use the packaged foods until then, it's probably better than what I'm putting in my body right now (which is, lots and lots of sugar).

There's no way we can do the IP program, it's just too expensive. I'm hoping to make it work with alternatives. I've been researching and trying to make sure we'll be getting enough protein (though I still haven't figured out exactly what the requirements are...). Just trying to make sure the alternative products have similar ingredients, and similar protein/fat/carb/calories. I think we'll be using egg whites for one of our IP meals (most likely breakfast), because I don't think I'll be able to just do a drink for breakfast, but I'm probably going to buy the ProtiDiet pancake mix, and maybe some of the oatmeal as well.

We'll be taking supplements as well, but I'm sure they're not the exact same as IP. We've both got a Multi-vitamin (which seems to be equal, if not better, than the IP supplement). We'll also be taking a cal-mag supplement, and a potassium supplement (couldn't find an alternative potassium-calcium supplement), plus a fish/flax/borage supplement. I'm hoping this will keep us healthy and well.

Cheers to everyone in the New Year!
Sounds like a good plan. You should have no problem loosing that amount of weight by the end of summer if not a lot sooner.
Old 01-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #14  

S/C/G: (C/G) 143.8/147

Height: 5' 3"

Good luck Panda & your DH,

My mother is using alternatives and losing like crazy! She is in her late 70's and is just shrinking before our eyes. I know you two will have wonderful success as well, if you simply follow the plan.

I know a shake sounds like almost nothing for breakfast, but this is what I found in my experience.... The first four days were tough. I couldn't think. I was tired. I was dragging butt. I wish I had added a fourth packet and more salt. I've learned to add salt whenever I'm lethargic because it always perks me up. On the fifth day, I felt really alive, awake, well, etc. I have felt that good every single day since beginning to eat this way. I have not been ill on this plan at all (over 8 months) and I've really enjoyed the feeling of control. On phase 1 and 2, if you remain OP, you really do not want to cheat - at least most of the time. In those rare moments where you want to eat everything in sight, I recommend tea, lettuce, 2 egg whites, or an additional protein packet/bar/drink.

I agree with another poster, who said there is an ease about this plan, once you find yourself in control, you may be more likely to grab a drink for breakfast and enjoy the minutes the plan gives back to you in your life. I tried to take those minutes and clean up a bit more around the house, incorporate walking into my lunch hour, or allow myself a bit more sleep and go to bed early.

Enjoy the journey!
JoLoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:39 PM   #15  
Started IP 10/13/11

S/C/G: 280/170/210

Height: 5' 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
This is absolutely not true. I've done PSMFs before (protein sparing modified fast) which is what this program is. A protein sparing modified fast is eating high protein and extremely low calories in order to speed weight loss while maintaining as much muscle as possible.

I have done it several times with nothing other than whole natural foods and some unsweetened, unflavored whey protein (no additives or chemicals). I hve gotten as much as 160 of protein a day off of healthy whole foods.

Please forgive my ignorance but I do not understand .. Whey protein is natural and good for the body but the soy protein is not? Please help to educate me about the difference? Thanks...
Endless Dieter is offline   Reply With Quote